What's new

Rolls Razor

Short story

Invented by an Italian living in London
All razors are numbered on the body. In older ones, the number on the handle and body
The first razor was released around 1917.
Model Imperial No. 1 - silver plated
Model Imperial No. 2 - Nickel
Model Imperial No. 3 - stainless steel
Model Viscount - Aluminum

Cardboard box undershirt, had three types:
In the razor box - It is believed that:
Orange boxes with black letters in the instructions were
made for Europe.
Blue boxes with blue letters in the instructions were
made for the USA.
Green boxes with green letters in the instructions were
made for Canada.

Razors without Greek design, were produced before 1930
In total, about 30 sets and combinations of razors were produced.
First patent in 1922
The name Rolls and the trademark "Whetter" were registered in the US in 1950.
In 1959, the Rolls trademark was sold. Washing machines were produced under this brand. Closed in 1963
A marble statue of a man sharpening an object is taken as the basis of the trademark drawing. The statue is in the Italian Museum in Florence and dates back to 200 BC.
known as Arrotino or l'Arrotino. The figure is tied
to the incident in ancient Rome. A slave sharpening a knife, and overhears Catalina's plot
There is another version of the story, with the participation of Nero

My Popular Model

Screenshot_20221130-185909_Video Player.jpg

Excellent and informative write up. Thanks!

I have an Imperial model and a Viscount, with spare blades. Unfortunately only one handle to or the blades on so needs to look for a second one to complete both sets. Hones and strops are in decent shape considering their age.

But if I compare mine with Internet photos I tend to think that there has been mix ups from other donor razors.

I have tried one WTG pass on my cheeks. For now I prefer my Razorine Flatboy, but maybe in the future I will try again.

Guido

I found one of mine, which appears to be complete. Looks like it’s a Nickle model produced in the USA in 1917. That is if the blade is the original.

My wife picked it up at a garage sale for under $10. She had no idea what it was, just thought I would like it!

Attachments

• 7E27E549-4F69-4FAF-B35F-48B2A20BFCCF.jpeg
    7E27E549-4F69-4FAF-B35F-48B2A20BFCCF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
I found one of mine, which appears to be complete. Looks like it’s a Nickle model produced in the USA in 1917. That is if the blade is the original.

My wife picked it up at a garage sale for under $10. She had no idea what it was, just thought I would like it!
Now, it's dont 1917. It's razor 1930-1950s

Oh. Thought I read somewhere that the 2 digit number on the spine of the blade was the manufacture year. Also why I thought the blade might not be original to the set.
It is not possible to attribute a year by number. In 1916, there were no drawings on the case, and the blade was small. My razor in the photo looks like a 1922 model. Early razors are very small and rare. My drawing on the box looks like a dry salt pond.

I have a mint one and it gets pretty sharp.
I shaved with it a few times in the past ... ok... it is mostly a collector's item in my opinion.

Top Bottom