What's new

Rolls Razor honer needed

Hey all,

Does anybody know of anyone who has experience honing a Rolls Razor. It's the only old fashioned safety razor I have left in my collection and I'd like to get it operational.

Thanks for your help.

I've honed those in the past. Honing the blades is easy enough, but getting the sharpening/stropping mechanism to actually work to maintain the edges to high standards is another whole project. We tried putting lapping film on top of the barber hone stone to make it finer. I don't know how that worked over time as I lost contact with the owner. The stropping surface is often in bad shape also.

The mechanism is pretty cool though.

G

Guest2023

I've honed 4 of them myself. It's not harder than honing a SR. It takes an edge easily. I maintain the edge by putting 0.25 CBN paste on the leather strop. It's worked well so far. I don't use the built in honing stone The honing stone looks not reliable for me.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Rollin' wit da Rolls! A honing solution. | Badger & Blade

I only have one Rolls left, and a potential buyer has dibs on it, and also my SlashTool™ but you can simply slide the blade on the hone without it. The in-the-case honing and stropping mechanism is crazy cool but it just doesn't work as well as a skilled honer using the same methods that he uses for a regular razor.

You can hone it without tape but I recommend using a layer of tape for the last 3 or 4 finish laps. The microbevel works great on these blades, and it enables you to get reasonable success with the in case stropping system. Truthfully though, I prefer to strop with the SlashTool or a modified Kampfe Bros or similar wedge set stropping handle. There is NO REASON to settle for a less than straight razor quality shave with a Rolls.

Top Bottom