What's new

Rolls Razor. Help!

Hi

I just managed to pick up a mint condition Rolls Razor for £3 at a car boot sale. Literally there is still oil on the blader and all the paper work is immaculate inside including an original bill of sale. How do you use one of these things and are they any good?

Jonathon

I also picked up a mint Rolls Razor last year. They're a nifty mechanical marvel. I've only tried shaving with it once; my wife was summoned from elsewhere in the house by the sound it made in the stropping process. "What is that racket?!" Getting the proper blade angle while shaving is paramount. I did not find this angle and managed to produce quite a bloodletting in the search for it. I bought it as it seemed good training for beginning with a straight razor. What it did was scare me off going to a straight at all.

I read some detailed information about this razor on the web someplace (lost the link), but the key thing I remember was the last bit:

Many Rolls Razors survive in good condition and one often finds them barely used, as many chaps quickly gave them up as a bad job and went out to buy a Gillette like everyone else.

jonathon41uk said:
Hi

I just managed to pick up a mint condition Rolls Razor for £3 at a car boot sale. Literally there is still oil on the blader and all the paper work is immaculate inside including an original bill of sale. How do you use one of these things and are they any good?

Jonathon

If you have all the paperwork, did you read it?
You hone and strop the blade, install the blade on the handle then shave with it.
The blade is just a wedge of straight razor with a very meager guard so be careful. Practice on your arm or leg, if you can't get it sharp enought to shave your leg don't try it on your face.

Top Bottom