What's new

rolls razor find/value

Well, I was looking through some antique shops and didn't really find anything to amazing, except for a rolls razor. It was in fairly good shape, the hone wasn't cracked and the strop had the normal wear, especially where the blade rests (some conditioner/cleaner might help). The blade looked a little rough, but looked like it would only take some cleaning and elbow grease.
There were two problems that kept me from buying it right then, it was $30 Canadian (so about 25ish USD) and the handle was missing. Is this a good price for a set that is missing the handle? Are handles (and even extra blades) hard to procure? Thank you.

Intact hone is, I think, the hardest part to find. I suppose that handle may be next after that, but I wouldn't call them rare. My hunch is that pointing out to the vendor that the set is incomplete and worth, say, 15 cdn might be a fair target. Then you could seek another set for spare parts on ebay, a wtb here, or elsewhere. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies/advice. I figure I'd prefer to spend a little extra and even wait until I find a better one; I just wasn't sure how hard it was to find an extra handle (a definite con) versus the hone being in good shape (a pro). I think I'll just keep my eyes open for another, or even post a WTB here on B&B.

There are currently several nice examples of the entire kit on ebay for under $20. No question that the blade will need some attention but some of them have extra blades packed in the orig petroleum jelly which might be in better shape. I actually had four blades sent out to a honemeister about a year ago to get a baseline and I use the razor on occaison. It is entirely different from anything else I have (I don't use a straight)

Top Bottom