What's new

Rolling the Bones

Well, I haven't managed to get the sale posted yet as I ran into some errors at 2 a.m. this morning as I was trying to finalize everything. Why 2 a.m.? Because I badly underestimated how much work was involved in getting photos taken and edited, etc. I probably should have sold off along the way, but it will make for a big sale later today (fingers crossed!).

IMG_9380.jpg

Thursday shave

Prep: PAA Ice Cube 2.0
Soap: MdC Agrumes
Brush: Shavemac badger
Razor: Above the Tie S2, #9
Blade: Derby Premium, #2 and binned
Post: alum -> My Nik is Sealed -> Nivea Sensitive Cool balm

So the fact that I went to sleep 2:30 am and woke at 7:15 am may have something to do with how lousy this shave was just now. Two passes, a mix of DFS, CCS, and SAS, some irritation, lots of feedback and a gusher when I ran nicked a bump. Sheesh. Obviously I went for the Nivea balm and not the Lemon Chill as intended. :eek2: And that's going to do it for the S2.

Now, back to getting that sale posted!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Please heal quick and great luck with the sale - that was a bunch of shave goodies you posted.

Seven shaves with the S1 and nine for the S2. A beautifully made razor and what a handle--one of the best I've used. A very "just right" feel to the weight of the razor--you know its solid stainless, but it's not like you're getting a workout. The S1, while comfortable in use, just didn't have the efficiency for me, was picky about its angles, and seemed to cause razor burn on my neck afterwards. The S2, with its open comb, was comfortable enough with an Astra SP, but less so with the other two blades I tried in it. And it also had efficiency issues for me. So, as much as I appreciate what an excellent razor this is, I'll be moving it along at some point. The S1 lands at position 23, with a 6 for comfort and a 3 for efficiency and the S2 slots in at position 15, with a 7 for comfort and a 5 for efficiency.

Rank
Razor
Comfort
Efficiency
Tier 1 - Keepers1Gillette Slim106

2Schick Type L1105

3RazoRock German 3797

4Fine Marvel96

5Parker Semi-slant96

6Yaqi Beast87

7Gem Junior86

8Gillette fat handle Tech85

9RazoRock Mamba84

10Merkur 34C HD86
Tier 2 - In Consideration

Tier 3 - Not for me
11Timeless .9586

12 (tie)1940s Gillette Super Speed85

1947 Gillette Aristocrat Junior85

13iKon X386

14Mühle R41

15Above The Tie S275

16Gem MMOC56

17Timeless .6875

18Fine Superlite slant74

19Parker 24C

20Karve Christopher Bradley, D Plate65

21Karve CB, C Plate75

22Karve CB, B Plate74

23Above The Tie S163

24Maggard V264

25Yaqi Mellon54

26Gillette Ball-End Tech54

27RazoRock Mamba 7053

Maggard Slant

29Wilkinson Sword TTO

30Schick Injector Type E336

31Fatip Open Comb Slant34

32Standard Razors Deep Black43

33Blackland Dart33

34Mühle R89 Grande33

Last edited:
3748FD46-44FC-4DC8-8A3E-BE392EF68F56.jpeg

Second to last razor to try: a Gillette 7 O’clock Sterling. Looks like a Tech and is light enough to be a toy. I saw a review that said it needs some pressure in use and I’m guessing that’s true—I doubt it would cut otherwise. Gets pretty good reviews for something so cheap and I’m looking forward to giving it a spin!

90D44E54-2E34-430C-8B01-F870DF85F835.jpeg

Saturday shave

Soap: DeLuxe Rockers
Brush: Yaqi Mountain Lake Two-band Badger _and_ Edwin Jagger Best Badger
Razor: Gillette 7 O'clock Sterling
Blade: Astra SP, #1

This razor could give the Fine Superlite a run for the money in the featherweight category and if I hadn't already sold the Superlite then I would weigh them to see. In any event, I did the usual two passes and ended up with a DFS. I also ended up with some feedback from the album. I think that's due to the way I used the razor. The second pass, S-N, didn't seem to be getting anything on my neck. I tried several different ways of attacking the angle and finally started shaving ATG and still there seemed to be nothing happening. So I had multiple passes on my neck, which caused some irritation. Is it possible that the razor is just that efficient on the first pass? Or is it just so light that it's hard to tell if anything's being cut? Remains to be seen.

I used the two brushes to answer a question from the BST on which was the softer brush. No question: the Yaqi was the winner and it will be on the way to its new owner once it's completely dry. A great brush and, yep, still too big for my preferences.

2259E7F3-ABF1-46CD-8AA5-C724BA150D81.jpeg

Monday shave

Prep: Cleansing Story White Clay foam
Soap: Lather Bros. No Probllama
Brush: Omega Mixed Midget
Razor: Gillette 7 O'clock Sterling, #2
Blade: Astra SP, #3

Two passes for DFS face, CCS neck and alum feedback accordingly, which is to say none on my face and plenty on my neck. I realize it's only two shaves, but I kind of hate this razor in its current configuration. It's so light that it chatters over the crazy growth patterns in my neck and I think that's causing the irritation I have going on there right now. I've installed it on the Maggard MR5 handle for tomorrow's shave to see how it will do with some weight behind it. If I had to place it right now it would be dead last on my rankings.

thombrogan

Here hoping the MR5 cleans up its act. The Rapira Platinum Lux razor (not the blade) offers the same Tech look and chaotic behavior. At least according to other people on B&B over the years.

Here hoping the MR5 cleans up its act. The Rapira Platinum Lux razor (not the blade) offers the same Tech look and chaotic behavior. At least according to other people on B&B over the years.

"Chaotic behavior." What a great way to put it, Thom! This one seems to have generally decent reviews on B&B, but it is not doing it for me so far.

thombrogan

It might prefer a more cap-forward angle to work its best. If that’s the case — a big if to be sure — do you need such negativity in your life?

It might prefer a more cap-forward angle to work its best. If that’s the case — a big if to be sure — do you need such negativity in your life?
No. :biggrin1: But it's interesting you mention the angle, because while it's easy enough to find on my face for both passes, the S-N pass on my neck has been a challenge.

thombrogan

That’s a tough one. If that’s mostly ATG, you’re fighting skin that’s more loose than the rest of the above the tie region and gravity. It gets me how some razors ignore these factors and how many amplify them.

E7850702-D9AD-4D50-8644-ED7636CCB80E.jpeg

Tuesday shave

Prep: Neutrogena Razor Defense face scrub
Soap: Dr. Jon's Savannah Sunrise
Brush: Sanax badger-cased boar
Razor: Gillette 7 O'clock Sterling, #3 with Maggard MR5 handle
Blade: Astra SP, #3
Post: alum -> witch hazel and DJ Savannah Sunrise aftershave mix

Two passes for DFS all over except for my usual CCS patch. I do think the additional handle weight helped, but this just isn't a comfortable razor for me. I was able to open up the head angle a bit and got it to cut on the S-N pass (which is mostly XTG), but ended up with lots of feedback and irritation afterwards. I'll try it steep tomorrow.

The BST sale really has me on a clearing spree and I'm going to add the Savannah Sunrise to the next round. Great soap and I love the smell on the puck, but actually on me the scent comes off as too sweet. I may end up adding the No Probllama to the next round as well.

E58A515F-DE10-4CFB-939A-72C637914B83.jpeg

Wednesday shave

Prep: Noxzema
Soap: Grooming Department Tao
Brush: Vie-Long Silvertip
Razor: Gillette 7 O'clock Sterling, #4 with Maggard MR5 handle
Blade: Astra SP, #4 and banked

Took it steep for the first pass and it hardly cut anything. Changed to usual angle for the second pass and ended up with DFS on my face and only SAS/CCS on my neck. Some alum feedback, but not too bad. The clearing mood is still on me and I'll be moving along the Tao.

71E3E5B0-BEDA-492C-B8F7-6EA30DFE22F5.jpeg

Thursday shave

Prep: Neutrogena Razor Defense face scrub
Soap: Meissner Indian Flavour
Brush: Omega 10290
Razor: Gillette 7 O'clock Sterling, #5
Blade: Feather, #3

Not too shabby today. Two passes for DFS up top and CCS/SAS below. Feedback wasn't too bad, a little bit of neck irritation.

628B7BCE-4C01-409F-9602-6E80BC97A2DF.jpeg

Saturday shave

Soap: Martin de Candre Original
Brush: Karve badger
Razor: Gillette 7 O'clock Sterling, #6
Blade: Feather, #4 and binned

Skipped yesterday and today was the best shave I've had with the 7 O'clock Sterling, which really isn't saying much as it was a low bar given some of the prior shaves. Two passes for DFS face and CCS/SAS neck. Mild feedback and no irritation, which was a nice change and the reason this was the best shave for the Sterling. Most credit is probably due to the MdC, which was perfect today. And with that, I'm going to end the Sterling on a (relative) high note.

EC4A78F3-2E9F-47AF-9E48-90984BA23F47.jpeg

Sunday shave

Soap: Noble Otter Northern Elixer
Brush: Simpson Astor A1 Best
Razor: Gillette 7 O'clock Sterling, #7
Blade: German Personna, #1

Our Thanksgiving plans have moved left so I figured I'd hold off using the final razor until I'm back. So the Sterling is around for another couple or three shaves. Tried a German Personna for the first time and it performed like most every other blade in this razor. Which is to say, two passes for DFS on my face and a mix of CCS and SAS on my neck. Some feedback, some neck irritation.

Just closed my den clearing on the BST. It was a lot of work and a heck of a lot of fun and I'm glad to have skinnied down my den. More to go on that front and I'll probably be getting more ruthless about what stays now that I've gotten rid of some stuff and as I continue to focus in on what I really enjoy. Doubt I'll go full minimalist, but I've still got way more soap and aftershave than is reasonable. :biggrin1:

4507CCD4-2723-42D9-AED4-CAE90FB4398B.jpeg

Tuesday shave

Soap: Mickey Lee Grand Havana
Brush: Omega 81025
Razor: Gillette 7 O'clock Sterling, #8
Blade: German Personna, #2

Skipped Monday because too much was going on to get in a shave. Pretty good overall today: two passes for DFS on my face and CCS on my neck. Feedback on my neck, but no irritation, which was a nice change.

Since it hadn't sold, curiosity got the best of me and I decided to pull out the Omega to see if my opinion might have changed. Nope--still too floppy for my preference.

0DF2821B-7043-4A9C-93E0-AA5D19FA52A7.jpeg

Thanksgiving shave

Prep: None
Soap: Barbasol
Brush: None
Razor: Gillette Sensor
Blade: Mach 3, #1

Skipped Wednesday because: on vacation. :biggrin1: Got the turkey in the oven and then grabbed a quick shave and shower. The Mach 3 was okay, but I definitely prefer the Sensor and find it shaves closer, too. One pass for an all-over CCS.

Top Bottom