Rolling the Bones

Wednesday shave

445E3B23-15A5-47C9-B08F-0A6415E7BC4F.jpeg

Prep: Noxzema
Soap: Soap Commander Love
Brush: Simpson Astor A1
Razor: Mühle R41, #4
Blade: Astra SP, #4

Fourth shave on the blade and two day’s growth, so took the R41 steep to see how it would perform. And it was--mostly--very good. My mustache area was too "draggy" to stay steep so I used a regular angle there, but stayed steep for the rest of it. And an easy two-pass DFS was the result, with only minimal feedback.

Friday through Sunday morning shaves

On the road, so the usual combination of a Gillette Sensor and a can of Barbasol. It's definitely past time to change the blade on the Sensor because I got a nice patch of razor burn on Sunday morning. Shaves were a mix of DFS and CCS.

Tuesday shave

4DEF3568-6546-4A58-BDA7-358E5DF2E419.jpeg

Prep: Neutrogena Razor Defense face scrub
Soap: CBL Grape Soda
Brush: Vulfix Grosvenor mixed badger/boar
Razor: Mühle R41, #5
Blade: Bolzano Superinox, #1

Got home too late to shave on Monday night, so two days' growth on today's shave. Tried a Bolzano Superinox for the first time and it was OK – some tugging on the first pass, but got the job done. A total of two passes, mostly DFS with one patch of CCS, and hardly any feedback.

Wednesday shave

IMG_8774.jpg

Prep: PAA Ice Cube 2.0
Soap: Stirling Satsuma
Brush: Omega Mixed Midget badger/boar
Razor: Mühle R41, #6
Blade: Bolzano Superinox, #2

Two-passes for an all-around DFS. Some definite feedback from the alum, so I suspect I was using too much pressure. No dragging from the blade today, so it's fine for one day's growth.

Thursday shave

IMG_8787.jpg

Soap: Southern Witchcrafts Autumn Ash
Brush: Karve two-band badger
Razor: Mühle R41, #7
Blade: Bolzano Superinox, #7

Two steep passes for mostly DFS, with a couple of patches of CCS. Only mild feedback from the alum today.

Friday shave

IMG_8796.jpg

Soap: Stirling Baker Street
Brush: Sanax badger-cased boar
Razor: Mühle R41, #8
Blade: Bolzano Superinox, #4 and banked

Worst shave yet with the R41. Two-passes for a mostly DFS, but uncomfortable, with significant feedback and two weepers. Two reasons I suspect: my lather wasn't up to snuff and the blade was toast. I'll stick to a max of three on the Bolzano the next time I test it. And that may be the last time I try one, because I'm not impressed with them and, for the cost, there are far better blades for me.

At some point I'll go back through some of my shaves, but I'm beginning to suspect that I get mostly so-so shaves when using Stirling soaps. That's gotta be operator error given how many people love their products--perhaps my lathering style doesn't suit the formula. In any event, in spite of what seemed like an overpowering scent yesterday (the kind where, hours later, you catch it, grimace, and think, "Is it ever going to fade?"), I think I'm going to give Baker Street one more chance.

Sunday shave

IMG_8805.jpg

Soap: Stirling Baker Street
Brush: Vie-Long Silvertip
Razor: Mühle R41, #9
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless, #1

Skipped Saturday. Decided to go ahead and try Baker Street again with a new blade and brush today. And it was indeed a better shave. Two passes for majority DFS with some alum feedback, but not too bad. First use of a Ladas and it struck me as almost identical to the Bolzano, which is to say some tugging, but it got the job done. However, I'm not too impressed on this first use. As to the Baker Street, I'm going to move it on--the scent is not my favorite.

Monday shave

B5E9BA61-FCE6-4083-BD2F-F6755CEF1865.jpeg

Prep: Cleansing Story White Clay foam
Soap: Saponificio Bignoli Blackberry Musk
Brush: B&B Omega Boar
Razor: Mühle R41, #10
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless, #2 and banked
Post: alum -> Skin Bracer aftershave -> Cool Fix -> My Nik is Sealed

A rushed and rough shave today. Started out tugging on the first pass so I'd already made up my mind to bin the blade after this shave. Then, on the second pass, moving too fast, I slid the blade sideways while I was moving to a new position and got a weeper for my troubles. And, for good measure, got a wide patch of razor burn on my neck. And that will end my experiment with the Ladas blades. I'll move back to an Astra SP for the last shaves with this razor.

Wednesday shave

6B954F3D-C881-4B70-B7DA-D596179939F5.jpeg

Soap: Declaration Grooming La Petite Prairie
Brush: Vulfix Grosvenor badger/boar
Razor: Mühle R41, #11
Blade: Astra SP, #1

Skipped yesterday to give my mug a break after Monday's shave. Still a thin scab from the weeper and some razor bumps, but it was time to shave! Back to an Astra SP: two passes and a much better shave. Some feedback on my neck, but an easy DFS on my face and a DFS/CCS mix on my neck.

Thursday shave

C19ECCBF-264C-460D-970A-42A17C56A55E.jpeg

Soap: Noble Otter Northern Elixer
Brush: Simpson PJ2 in Super
Razor: Mühle R41, #12
Blade: Astra SP, #2

A very nice shave this afternoon. Two passes and a touch-up for an all-around DFS with moderate alum feedback.

Friday shave

1012DB43-5453-4DCD-8736-618738F5A462.jpeg

Soap: Southern Witchcrafts Autumn Ash
Brush: Karve badger
Razor: Mühle R41, #13
Blade: Astra SP, #3

Two passes for DFS face and a mix on my neck. Definite alum feedback.

Saturday shave

0FDB2962-C914-4072-8696-E799306EE363.jpeg

Soap: Col. Conk Lime
Brush: Simpson Astor A1 in Best
Razor: Mühle R41, #14
Blade: Astra SP, #14

Two passes for a mostly DFS shave with a couple of patches of CCS. Pronounced alum feedback on this one. And that will wrap up the R41!

A total of 14 shaves with four blades for the R41. It's a beautiful razor and I'm really glad I tried one. It wasn't as fearsome for me as it's reputation would suggest and I got a couple of really nice shaves with it and a couple of lousy ones, but it was overall pretty good. However, it wasn't routinely comfortable and I didn't find that it made up for the lack of comfort in a really efficient shave, either. And in looking at my keepers, it would be a rare occasion where I'd pick the R41 over any of them, so I'm going to move this one along to a new owner. The R41 lands at position 14, with a 6 for comfort and a 6 for efficiency.

Rank
Razor
Comfort
Efficiency
Tier 1 - Keepers1Gillette Slim106

2Schick Type L1105

3RazoRock German 3797

4Fine Marvel96

5Parker Semi-slant96

6Yaqi Beast87

7Gem Junior86

8Gillette fat handle Tech85

9RazoRock Mamba84

10Merkur 34C HD86
Tier 2 - In Consideration

Tier 3 - Not for me
11Timeless .9586

12 (tie)1940s Gillette Super Speed85

1947 Gillette Aristocrat Junior85

13iKon X386

14Mühle R41

15Gem MMOC56

16Timeless .6875

17Fine Superlite slant74

18Parker 24C

19Karve Christopher Bradley, D Plate65

20Karve CB, C Plate75

21Karve CB, B Plate74

22Maggard V264

23Yaqi Mellon54

24Gillette Ball-End Tech54

25RazoRock Mamba 7053

26Wilkinson Sword TTO

27Schick Injector Type E336

28Fatip Open Comb Slant34

29Standard Razors Deep Black43

30Blackland Dart33

31Mühle R89 Grande33

Sunday shave

CD6B7A68-46A5-48A5-AD4B-F4236806FC0E.jpeg

Soap: Noble Otter Hamami
Brush: Sanax badger-cased boar
Razor: Maggard's Slant, #1
Blade: Astra SP, #1

First use of the Maggard's Slant and it was a good shave. Two passes for DFS face and a mix of DFS and CCS on my neck. Zero blade feel, but some alum feedback.

Columbus Day shave

BF37DFCB-74DB-4B74-A205-6F51AAE29166.jpeg

Soap: Martin de Candre Rose
Brush: Omega Mixed Midget
Razor: Maggard's Slant, #2
Blade: Astra SP, #2
Post: alum -> mix of Thayer's Witch Hazel and Gillette Cool Wave aftershave

A nice, easy shave this afternoon. Two passes for majority DFS with a couple of very small patches of CCS. I am noticing that the shape of the head can make it tough to shave cleanly under my nose if I'm not careful about it. Only minor alum feedback.

Tuesday shave

IMG_8874.jpeg

Soap: Southern Witchcrafts Pomona
Brush: Edwin Jagger Silvertip
Razor: Maggard's Slant, #3
Blade: Astra SP, #3

Two passes, DFS face and a mix on my neck. Minimal feedback from the alum. This slant seems to give a generally good shave, but there's definitely a sweet spot with the angle and I'm finding it hard to stay in that spot.

Wednesday shave

IMG_8879.jpeg

Soap: Stirling Island Man
Brush: Omega 10290 boar
Razor: Maggard's Slant, #4
Blade: Astra SP, #4 and banked

A carbon copy of yesterday's shave: two passes, DFS face and a mix of DFS and CCS on my neck, and minimal alum feedback. Was not able to find the angle sweet spot on my neck today, which accounts for the mixed result there.

Thursday shave (no picture--the light was too bright to take a picture at the time I was shaving)

Soap: Martin de Candre Original
Brush: Shavemac badger
Razor: Maggard's Slant, #5
Blade: Personna Platinum, #1

First use of a Personna Red and it was a rough start. Two passes, two weepers, and a mix of DFS, CCS, and SAS. Lots of feedback and irritation on my neck.

Friday shave

A778FDC7-9881-4E16-A745-3E903BF8D906.jpeg

Soap: Stirling Iced Pineapple
Brush: Simpson Astor A1 in Best
Razor: Maggard's Slant, #6
Blade: Personna Platinum, #2

A better shave tonight. The usual two passes and not too much feedback. DFS on my face and a mix of CCS and SAS (mostly) on my neck. Still some definite neck irritation after, though.

Saturday shave

IMG_8904.jpg

Soap: La Toja stick
Brush: Vulfix Grosvenor badger/boar
Razor: Maggard's Slant, #7
Blade: Dorco ST-301, #1

Decided to save the third use of the Personna Red for a different razor. It's lousy in this slant. My first use of a Dorco, on the other hand, was not bad at all. The usual two passes resulted in a 98% DFS with a small CCS area on my neck, minimal feedback, and no residual irritation.

Top Bottom