What's new

Rolling the Bones

Rolled a repeat for tonight: the Merkur 34C HD.

79D30D1F-C048-40E0-A19B-79B910FB623A.jpeg

In your ranking, is your WS TTO terrible, or just the 7th out of 7 good razors?
Hello, @hangblague! Right now I'm just ranking everything as I work my way through them. So the WS TTO was my least favorite of the ones I've tried so far. In fact, I disliked it enough that I sent it straight to the den clearing box instead of keeping it around for further attempts. Just didn't enjoy it, though it is a good looking razor!

Hello, @hangblague! Right now I'm just ranking everything as I work my way through them. So the WS TTO was my least favorite of the ones I've tried so far. In fact, I disliked it enough that I sent it straight to the den clearing box instead of keeping it around for further attempts. Just didn't enjoy it, though it is a good looking razor!
I tried to edit the above, but B&B went down right after I posted. I was going to add that I may split the list into tiers the next time: Tier 1 will be keepers, Tier 2 will still be in consideration, and Tier 3 are definitely not for me. Right now The WS TTO is the only one in Tier 3. The Merkur and Gem are currently Tier 2 and the rest are Tier 1.

Sunday shave

3DB52714-4774-4874-9040-11AEBEF81345.jpeg

Prep: Noxzema
Soap: PAA Ciderhouse 5
Brush: Omega 10290
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless, #1
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Clubman Reserve Brandy Spice aftershave

Two-passes, minimal feedback from the alum and a DFS with a little buffing. The blade worked okay, but just okay. My first use of it, so I'll see how it develops. I also want to give it a try on a day's growth (I didn't get a chance to shave last night).

I can get a decent shave with the Merkur, particularly shimmed, and I'll keep it around a little while longer, but it's just not a favorite of mine. I'd put it at a 8 for comfort and a 6 for efficiency. No change in the rankings.

The soap was okay, but I wouldn't buy a full puck. I'll be passing the remainder of the sample on to someone else.

The brush I'll be keeping so I'll set it to the side for now. It's a really good little brush and it's mind-boggling that you can get a brush this good for $10.

Monday shave

11E35C6D-369C-4AA4-A017-D2D89C177D3B.jpeg

Prep: PAA Ice Cube 2.0
Soap: Pannacrema Nuavia Blu
Brush: Zenith boar
Razor: iKon X3 slant on bulldog handle, #1
Blade: Astra SP, #2
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Nuavia Blu lather -> Dickinson's witch hazel -> washed face with Noxzema -> Stirling Blu aftershave

Well, the first part of the shave was fantastic! First use of the X3 and found it gave an easy, comfortable two-pass DFS. I was enjoying the razor enough that, as an experiment, I went back to the usual tricky area on my neck and did a quick AT(majority of the)G there and got the closest shave in that multi-direction area that I've managed yet.

About that soap... I'd never used Nuavia Blu before so I did a little recon on B&B before the shave. Saw two things that sounded intriguing: that PannaCrema provides very specific instructions for the lather and that several gents would just rub the lather in for an aftershave, forgoing a balm or aftershave. Tried both of those and neither worked well for me. The PannaCrema instructions call for 3g of soap mixed with 7g of water in two doses. I grabbed my scale and went to work. The result was far more soap than I'd ordinarily use and not nearly enough water for the amount of soap. Still, their instructions, so what the heck, I used the thick lather. And it worked, kinda, but I have a feeling I'd get a much better result using my typical amounts and I'll try that next time.

As to rubbing in the lather for the post-shave, I won't be doing that again. At one point while shaving I thought I was picking up some irritation from the soap, but then I reconsidered and forgot about it until I was using the lather after my usual alum and hyaluronic acid. I had already applied it to half my face when it occurred to me that if it really had been irritation from the soap that maybe putting the lather on as a post-shave wasn't such a great idea. But in for a penny, in for a pound. I added some witch hazel after because the lather had seemed kind of greasy just rubbing it in that way. About 10 mins in and my face was very uncomfortable--something in the soap definitely wasn't agreeing with me. So, I washed my face and ended up using Stirling Blu aftershave--figured I might as well keep the theme going.

Last edited:
Tuesday shave

FAD856F5-0984-4AF5-A04C-EDECA84D21ED.jpeg

Prep: Noxzema
Soap: D.R. Harris Windsor stick
Brush: SOC badger
Razor: iKon X3 slant on bulldog handle, #2
Blade: Astra SP, #3
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Adidas get ready! aftershave

Another easy DFS with the X3 tonight. I did notice a little more feedback from the alum on my neck tonight so I'll make a point to ease off any pressure tomorrow.

The Windsor was pretty good and I'm going to keep it around for now, but I prefer LaToja.

Thursday shave

CC942E46-0C90-47A8-A904-A3AAE2984EE6.jpeg

Soap: Murphy & McNeil Old Sport
Brush: EJ best badger
Razor: iKon X3 slant on bulldog handle, #4
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless, #2
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> mix of Florida Water and Dickinson's witch hazel as an aftershave

Another nice two-pass DFS tonight. Did pick up a weeper (a careless sideswipe), but it sealed immediately with the alum and there was essentially no feedback. Second try with the blade and it seemed to work better in this razor--don't know if I'd buy a carton, but nice to have another option.

The soap was good, but I'll be passing it along as the scent wasn't for me. The brush is my OG and I still like it, so it's going to sit the bench for now while I continue winnowing down the herd.

Friday shave

028337D7-3F34-4910-9E78-BC6F4044CCA9.jpeg

Soap: Stirling Grapefruit with Menthol
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 in Best
Razor: iKon X3 slant on bulldog handle, #5
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless, #3 and binned
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Stirling Grapefruit with Menthol aftershave -> My Nik is Sealed

Eh, only an okay shave tonight. Just one of those off nights: didn't like the way the blade or soap performed and it wasn't overly comfortable, either. Managed to get my worst cut yet, to top it all off (strictly user error: I failed to pay close enough attention and started one pass at the curve at the bottom of my eye area instead of just below on the vertical start of my cheek). Fortunately it didn't bleed a lot, but it's still stinging.

Not wild about the soap so it's going to the den clearing box. I was hoping for a ToBS-style grapefruit, but it's more artificial--grapefruit by way of Fresca. Also, I've finally made a decision on the Chubby and it's going to the box, too. Great brush, but larger and denser than I prefer. I used to think that denser would automatically be better, but I've found that's not my preference and it doesn't fit my particular shaving style. For that same reason my Yaqi Mountain Lake badger will be joining it.

Friday shave

View attachment 1215353

Soap: Stirling Grapefruit with Menthol
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 in Best
Razor: iKon X3 slant on bulldog handle, #5
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless, #3 and binned
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Stirling Grapefruit with Menthol aftershave -> My Nik is Sealed

Eh, only an okay shave tonight. Just one of those off nights: didn't like the way the blade or soap performed and it wasn't overly comfortable, either. Managed to get my worst cut yet, to top it all off (strictly user error: I failed to pay close enough attention and started one pass at the curve at the bottom of my eye area instead of just below on the vertical start of my cheek). Fortunately it didn't bleed a lot, but it's still stinging.

Not wild about the soap so it's going to the den clearing box. I was hoping for a ToBS-style grapefruit, but it's more artificial--grapefruit by way of Fresca. Also, I've finally made a decision on the Chubby and it's going to the box, too. Great brush, but larger and denser than I prefer. I used to think that denser would automatically be better, but I've found that's not my preference and it doesn't fit my particular shaving style. For that same reason my Yaqi Mountain Lake badger will be joining it.
Great brush, but larger and denser than I prefer.
I use only 26 & 28mm brushes. They are all high density another preference. It is easy to go beyond just using the tips. There is no right way or wrong way to mush around with your brush, all preferred to your liking. If I may suggest trying to restrict you HD brushes to using brush tips only. When you want precision. The knot will remain tighter and the brush will perform with more precision. Lathering is my favourite and best part of the shave. Each shave brush will offer different dynamics. Your lathering should always be a luxurious experience. You are doing a great job sorting through your best suited products and equipment. I enjoy following your shaves.

I use only 26 & 28mm brushes. They are all high density another preference. It is easy to go beyond just using the tips. There is no right way or wrong way to mush around with your brush, all preferred to your liking. If I may suggest trying to restrict you HD brushes to using brush tips only. When you want precision. The knot will remain tighter and the brush will perform with more precision. Lathering is my favourite and best part of the shave. Each shave brush will offer different dynamics. Your lathering should always be a luxurious experience. You are doing a great job sorting through your best suited products and equipment. I enjoy following your shaves.
Thanks for the kind words and yet more shaving wisdom, @JoWolf! I really appreciate learning from you and the others (@Rosseforp, @TinyT, @thombrogan, and more!)--not only has it helped from the standard "how to shave" aspect, but it's been immensely helpful in teaching me the subtler aspects such as really thinking about what I value in the experience and learning and refining my shaving style.

Last edited:
Sunday shave

6D4C13FF-0F3B-4E2C-9EF2-A6A7F33E69AA.jpeg

Prep: The Body Shop sugar scrub
Soap: Fine Fresh Vetiver
Brush: Yaqi Moka synthetic
Razor: iKon X3 slant on bulldog handle, #6
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium, #1
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Fine Fresh Vetiver aftershave

What a comeback from the "meh" shave on Friday and a great way to close out the week. An easy, two-pass, zero-alum-feedback DFS. First use of Fine products and I am very impressed. Super-slick, great scent, and a refreshing aftershave.

While I really like the looks of the Moka and it performs very well, it's going to the den clearing box. I've mentioned it before, but I just prefer natural brushes to synthetics. And I have the synthetic base covered with my La Maison du Barbier, which I prefer to the Moka.

Monday shave

BB534873-71B3-4B46-9FCA-106C9DCB5971.jpeg

Prep: Neutrogena Razor Defense face scrub
Soap: Tallow + Steel Indian Bay
Brush: SOC Mistura mixed badger/boar
Razor: iKon X3 slant on bulldog handle, #7
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium, #2
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> T + S Indian Bay aftershave

A very nicely scented shave tonight. Overwatered the first pass which caused a small weeper on my neck when the razor skipped, but no worries. Corrected the lather for the second pass and all was well. Overall a CCS+/DFS- depending on the area. The soap has a marvelous scent and I'm enjoying the smell still.

I'm a big fan of the SOC Mistura. I don't think it qualifies as high density, but I stayed on the tips for most of it after reading @JoWolf's tip above and had a really nice time lathering--particularly after I added some soap for the second pass. This one is a keeper and so will be out of the rotation for a little while.

The Wizamet has been serviceable, but I wouldn't buy a full box. Just as well since they're no longer made (or so I understand).

Monday shave

View attachment 1216827

Prep: Neutrogena Razor Defense face scrub
Soap: Tallow + Steel Indian Bay
Brush: SOC Mistura mixed badger/boar
Razor: iKon X3 slant on bulldog handle, #7
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium, #2
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> T + S Indian Bay aftershave

A very nicely scented shave tonight. Overwatered the first pass which caused a small weeper on my neck when the razor skipped, but no worries. Corrected the lather for the second pass and all was well. Overall a CCS+/DFS- depending on the area. The soap has a marvelous scent and I'm enjoying the smell still.

I'm a big fan of the SOC Mistura. I don't think it qualifies as high density, but I stayed on the tips for most of it after reading @JoWolf's tip above and had a really nice time lathering--particularly after I added some soap for the second pass. This one is a keeper and so will be out of the rotation for a little while.

The Wizamet has been serviceable, but I wouldn't buy a full box. Just as well since they're no longer made (or so I understand).
I have not used an ikon. I don’t know if it’s against the rules. May I suggest for your last shave on the ikon razor before moving to the next. Put in a sharper blade. You will be familiar with the razor. Feather, Bic Chrome Platinum and Nacets are three of my favourites for sharp. See if a sharper blade increases efficiency and comfort while moving you closer to a BBS. Do everything the same just change the blade.

Groundhog Day shave

832E77DE-C3AB-493B-A8B6-7C06E38AE606.jpeg

Soap: Southern Witchcrafts Pomona
Brush: Zenith boar
Razor: iKon X3 slant on bulldog handle, #8
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium, #3 and binned
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Clubman Reserve Brandy Spice aftershave

A two-pass DFS cheeks/CCS neck tonight, some irritation/razor bumps on my neck for which I suspect the blade. Great scent to the soap and the Brandy Spice was a nice complement. Will skip Wednesday to give my neck a break.

I have not used an ikon. I don’t know if it’s against the rules. May I suggest for your last shave on the ikon razor before moving to the next. Put in a sharper blade. You will be familiar with the razor. Feather, Bic Chrome Platinum and Nacets are three of my favourites for sharp. See if a sharper blade increases efficiency and comfort while moving you closer to a BBS. Do everything the same just change the blade.
Fantastic idea and thanks for the suggestion, John! I've got all three blades so I rolled for it and the Nacet it will be tomorrow. Looking forward to giving it a try!

–Tom

Thursday shave

DF830B32-FB34-4CFD-8D4F-FAF38395B4FE.jpeg

Soap: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Brush: Ever-Ready F40 badger-cased boar
Razor: iKon X3 slant on bulldog handle, #9
Blade: Gillette Nacet, #1
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve aftershave

New to me blade and the result: back to a two-pass DFS, no irritation. First use of the Spitfire and it was fantastic--an amazing scent, excellent cushion, and, after I addded a bit more water before the second pass, plenty slick. As to the Special Reserve, I keep going back and forth on whether I like it or not. Good thing I got the sample first.

Glad to have moved on from the Wizamet. I've got one left from my sample pack which I'll try some other time, but I won't be buying a box.

I'm leaving the Ever-Ready in the rotation for now. I keep wondering if it will break in at all, but I haven't detected any change yet.

Top Bottom