What's new

Rolling the Bones

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Ha, you guys are cracking me up! @Esox, I appreciate the insights. I'm not having bad shaves with the MMOC, just on the uncomfortable side for now. And you reminded me that I really do need to focus on pressure. I think the best shave I had with it so far was when I went in purposely concentrating on as little pressure as possible.

I loaded a fresh PTFE in my MMOC for last night shave. I paid attention to ow much pressure I was using and at which angles. The pressure I was using for more of the shave was less than the weight of the razor and the angle was shallow to extremely shallow over my swirls.

The pressure wasnt enough to visually dent my skin on my cheeks compared to, at shaves 8 and up, where I can see easily a 1/2 indentation in the same areas.

It's started shedding the last few times, but what I really don't like is the way it feels hollowed out now while using it. That's probably not a great description, but that's what it feels like.

I know exactly what you mean. That's how my Semogue boar feels to use. It's really off putting, especially loading or lathering between passes. It's as if there's not enough bristles in the middle.

New Year's Day shave

8CB8CBF0-02E2-4D4D-A03D-A83CA32BB504.jpeg

Prep: PAA Ice Cube 2.0
Pre-shave: Noxzema
Cream: Catie's Bubbles Menta Terrosa
Brush: Omega B&B boar
Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb, shave #7
Blade: Gem PTFE, #7
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Chatillon Lux Colbeck aftershave

Two-passes, mostly DFS with some definite alum feedback.

It was pre-shave night and I rolled up the Noxzema for the first time. While I love this stuff for washing my face, I don't feel like it added anything to the shave. However, I'll try a couple more times before making a final judgment on it.

The Catie's Bubbles was again just okay, so it's headed for the sell box.

Happy New Year!

Saturday shave

6489CD3D-6CF6-45BB-874F-655F0644CAA6.jpeg

Pre-shave: PAA Ice Cube 2.0 (for second pass)
Soap: Tallow & Steel Morocco
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura mixed badger/boar
Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb, shave #8
Blade: Gem Stainless, #1
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Tallow & Steel Morocco aftershave

Two-passes, CCS minus the middle C. No blood, but some serious razor burn and feedback from the alum. Blade tugged so bad I thought it was my lather (first use of the Morocco tonight); so for the second pass I whipped up new lather and used the Ice Cube as a pre-shave since I know from experience that it adds slickness for me. It barely helped, though it did allow me to finish the shave. I'll give the blade another shot tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Morocco was fantastic, though I did find it needed less water than I tend to use. The scent is incredible to me, but was universally hated by my family. "Smells like rotted meat" and "Smells like tires" were the two comments. Apparently this will be one to use when everyone is out of the house.

Sunday shave

E9BA4CC6-FC2C-441C-98C5-0B461B307DED.jpeg

Soap: Soap Commander Love
Brush: Century best badger
Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb, shave #9
Blade: Gem Stainless, #2 for 1/4 of first shave and then over to Gem PTFE for the rest, shave #8 on that blade
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Gillette Cool Wave aftershave

Two-passes, DFS, with moderate feedback from the alum. A much, much better shave than last night. Tried to use the Gem Stainless again and only made it through my right cheek before giving up and switching back to the Gem PTFE. Man, that Stainless for me is a tugging machine that feels likes it's pulling the whiskers out instead of cutting. No thanks. I'll save that blade to try in my Gem Jr., but I don't hold out much hope for it.

First use of Soap Commander and wow! What a soap and what a scent! Fantastic cushion and slickness with a true rose scent. As a big fan of rose soaps and creams it's safe to say that I'm in love with the Love. :001_wub:

The Century will stay in rotation for now, but only because I'm contemplating keeping one floppier brush for variety's sake. I won't keep more than one of that type since it's not my preference so there will probably be a head to head at some point to determine which one will stay.

Going to try one of the other Gem blades tomorrow. Both are carbon steel, I believe.

Monday shave

FA6F2ED6-17C3-45A6-B83B-687DA4F94C9D.jpeg

Prep: Neutrogena Razor Defense face scrub
Soap: Through the Fire Finecraft Sue Moore Memorial Auction Currants and Roses
Brush: Simpsons Chubby 2 best badger
Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb, shave #10
Blade: Gem Carbon, #1
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Clubman Pinaud Reserve Whiskey Woods aftershave

Two-passes, mostly DFS, with moderate feedback from the alum. The Gem Carbon is miles better than the Gem Stainless, but not as good as the Gem PTFE so far. It is definitely usable so I'll keep on with it and see if I can finish out my time with the MMOC with it installed.

The soap has a wonderful scent, but I could not really dial in the lather. That may have been due to the Chubby eating so much soap, however. My face was definitely irritated by the time I finished the second pass, and at first I attributed it to the new blade and so-so lather. However, the alum wasn't bad at all. So what I think is happening is that there is something in TTFC soaps that doesn't agree with me as I found the Through the Fire soap irritating as well. It's a shame because I like that the soap is in memory of Sue Moore, was made for the B&B auction and, like I mentioned, the scent is fantastic.

Tuesday shave

5CA328E0-2A83-4AD7-AFAC-91D0B6CAFC64.jpeg

Soap: Valloloko Free Dive sample
Brush: Edwin Jagger Super Badger
Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb, shave #11
Blade: Gem Carbon, #2

Two-passes, mostly CCS, with definite feedback from the alum. The Gem Carbon was less usable tonight, but I got it done. I'll try again tomorrow, but I suspect I'll be pulling out the PTFE. The main feature of the shave tonight was blade-tugging, and lots of it. Not a comfortable shave.

The Valloloko was just okay. The cushion and slickness were average and the scent was meh (supposed to be lime and peppermint, but I couldn't smell either), but boy does it put out some lather. Just not great lather. Still, I'll give it one more shot and add more water next time.

I've decided I'm going to keep the EJ. Even though it's floppier than my usual preference, it feels great and whips up lather like nobody's business. So, it's getting pulled from the rotation for now. And because I'm keeping this one, the Century is going to the box. They're very similar, but I prefer the EJ.

Wednesday shave

84B70C70-AA28-46DA-8EE2-496536617B77.jpeg

Soap: Wholly Kaw Chypre Rose Concerto
Brush: Vulfix Grosvenor mixed badger/boar
Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb, shave #12
Blade: Gem Carbon, #3; PAL Carbon, #1; Gem Stainless, #; Gem PTFE, #
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Stirling Green aftershave

Two-passes, four blades, mostly DFS, feedback from the alum. The Gem Carbon was unusable tonight, tugging and pulling. Gave the PAL Carbon a shot and found it to be the same, a hot, tuggy mess. Intended to grab the PTFE to finish, but accidentally grabbed the Stainless instead. Half a stroke and I knew I had the wrong blade. Swapped out for the PTFE and completed the shave. Its official: the only usable blade for me in the MMOC is the Gem PTFE. When I eventually get to the Gem Jr. I'll try the Stainless, Carbon, and PAL again, but I find it hard to believe they'll be any different. We'll see.

I only use PTFE in my GEM's. The carbon I tried was useless, even after I sharpened it.
Thanks, Mike! By the way, I meant to go back and respond to your post at the top of the page, but I appreciated the tips there and have been using them nightly. Nothing helped the Carbons and Stainless, but they work a treat with the PTFE! :001_smile

–Tom

Thursday shave

E9CACB62-E1A1-4CFE-BED5-213710A4FA77.jpeg

Prep: Noxzema
Soap: Wholly Kaw Man from Mayfair
Brush: La Maison du Barbier synthetic
Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb, shave #13
Blade: Gem PTFE, #10
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Wholly Kaw Man from Mayfair aftershave

Back to the PTFE for the full shave tonight and no surprises: two-passes, minimal feedback, and a DFS.

I prefer the natural brushes, but I do like this LMdB and am going to keep it. So, it will come out of rotation for now.

I think this was my second use of Man from Mayfair and I like it a lot better this time. Performance was very good and I particularly like the aftershave. WK says it's a barbershop shop scent, but I don't get that vibe from it. Although it's a bit unusual, I do like the way it smells.

Friday shave

C0F500D0-9646-4C45-9597-DD4366270764.jpeg

Prep: Noxzema
Pre-Shave: Noxzema
Soap: Valloloko Free Dive
Brush: Parker pure badger travel brush
Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb, shave #14
Blade: Gem PTFE, #11 and binned
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum aftershave

Last night with the MMOC and a two-pass CCS. Not getting to DFS may be due to wear on the blade and/or the soap, which was not slick. Minimal alum feedback, though.

Second time using Noxzema as a preshave and same result as last time--no discernible benefit and seems to hinder slickness. I'll stick to using it as a face wash from now on.

The Valloloko was the same as last time even though I added more water: loads of lather, decent cushion, but not much scent and even less slickness. That last one is a deal killer for me so this one's going to the den clearing box. Joining it there will be the Parker travel brush, which is by no means a bad brush (in fact, the design is very clever), but I don't travel enough to justify keeping a dedicated brush and it's both skritchier and floppier than I prefer.

First use of the Clubman VIBR and I gotta say: I like it. Based on stuff I read I was expecting something much more overpowering. At some point I'm going to do a bay rum tournament to see how they all shake out.

I've been thinking about what @JoWolf said a couple of pages back and I'm coming to the same conclusion that I prefer comfort above other possible measures, followed by enjoyment (for me that includes a lot of variables, e.g., look of the razor, scent of the soap, feel of the brush, etc.). That being said, while I enjoyed using the MMOC, I can't say I ever found it particularly comfortable. And with anything other than a PTFE blade in there it was downright uncomfortable. I'd judge this one at a 5 or 6 on comfort–I didn't particularly feel the blade, nor did I ever cut myself, but it just didn't give a particularly smooth shave. For efficiency, a 6.

Here's how they stand now:

1. Gillette Slim
2. Schick Type L1
3. Parker Semi-slant
4. Yaqi Beast
5. Merkur 34C HD
6. Gem MMOC
7. Wilkinson Sword TTO

I've been thinking about what @JoWolf said a couple of pages back and I'm coming to the same conclusion that I prefer comfort above other possible measures, followed by enjoyment (for me that includes a lot of variables, e.g., look of the razor, scent of the soap, feel of the brush, etc.). That being said, while I enjoyed using the MMOC, I can't say I ever found it particularly comfortable. And with anything other than a PTFE blade in there it was downright uncomfortable. I'd judge this one at a 5 or 6 on comfort–I didn't particularly feel the blade, nor did I ever cut myself, but it just didn't give a particularly smooth shave. For efficiency, a 6.

Here's how they stand now:

1. Gillette Slim
2. Schick Type L1
3. Parker Semi-slant
4. Yaqi Beast
5. Merkur 34C HD
6. Gem MMOC
7. Wilkinson Sword TTO
I prefer comfort above other possible measures, followed by enjoyment (for me that includes a lot of variables, e.g., look of the razor, scent of the soap, feel of the brush, etc.).
if you accept the shave as a process. It than becomes easier to improve it. Efficiency ultimately is the goal in any process. A BBS+ with irritation is not efficient. You damaged skin how is that efficient? If we can agree that Efficiency=Comfort. Everything becomes easy. Example; using razors that you score 5-7 in effectiveness, over razors that you score 7-10; there has to be a reason to use the 5-7 razors.
Am I trying to bring the 5-7 up to 7-10 efficiency or should I perfect the 7-10 and lose the 5-7? What path would be the quickest to Ultimate Efficiency? I went with the 7-10’s in all categories, Blades, Brushes, Soaps, Razors. It is that simple and it is that basic.

Losing any components in your shave process does not make them inferior or less than excellent products or equipment. They are just products that Do Not Fit & Suit. YOUR SHAVE STYLE.

The smaller the group of products that you use the easier it is to narrow that down to the very best that work for your shave style. This is what you are working on in your rolling the bones. The bigger or larger selection of equipment and product you use the longer it will take. The end game can be achieved as quickly as you can eliminate excellent products and equipment that do not work in an excellent manner for your shave style. If you are not racing towards that end than you are a dude who wants to try as many different products or equipment as possible. Nothing wrong with that unless you are looking for relaxation in your shave. All of us are a little on edge with the unknowns in any situation. Variables will do that. All of us are Relaxed with known effective components. Fewer variations in the process.

A process with the fewest moving parts and changes will usually be the most EFFICIENT.

Efficiency=Comfort if you achieve this in your shave you get the cherry. Relaxation. All my shaves are very relaxing. I always use the same soap. I am very familiar with the seven brushes I use, I built five of them, to suit my shave style. I single use a Feather blade. I have four Fatip DE razors. Three of them are boxed. I use the Gold Grande exclusively. There are very few moving parts in my process. Since I know every shave I have will be BBS too BBS+ I am relaxed before, during and after the shave. All I did was remove as many variables as possible in My Process. My DE shaves are very Relaxed. Going from carts to DE It took me a year and a half to get here. They are so comfortable and relaxing they fell into a What Next Territory. I started to learn Straight Razor Shaving. I am applying the same template to SR shaving as I used in DE.

Looks and fragrances. Here is curve for you. In my heart of hearts my favourite looking razor would be the Merkur Progress the first DE I purchased and the least used. Not because of looks, but efficiency. All soft products I use are low fragrance. Not because I don’t like fragrance. My sensitive skin reacts to fragrance. I can tolerate and use a fragrance after I have applied my post shave balms and creams for skin nourishment. My skin will than stand up without irritation and I throughly enjoy the fragrance. I have few but enjoy them on occasion. My point being is using your best looking razor and nicest smelling soap may not deliver the best efficiency to your shave. There is no comfort without efficiency. There us no relaxation without comfort.
All the variables in my DE shave. With the exception of changing post shave products are pictured. Not that many. It us easy to have a Relaxing Shave with known excellent components that suit my Shave Style.

I am very interested and curious on your exploration of Open Comb razors. After my first shave with an OC I sold all my closed comb razors. Open combs gave me the most available lather for use in my shave. One of the reasons I like straights. They use the most lather available for shave comfort.

Attachments

• 0E067199-3A32-4662-B745-2848D2264D67.jpeg
    0E067199-3A32-4662-B745-2848D2264D67.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 86251EF7-D4BF-4805-8CBD-C6327FC01880.jpeg
    86251EF7-D4BF-4805-8CBD-C6327FC01880.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 40EA62D0-C3D7-41E1-A8FE-831BF24C8B99.jpeg
    40EA62D0-C3D7-41E1-A8FE-831BF24C8B99.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • AC143DF3-1A8D-4E79-8D01-CF1576C4CBAD.jpeg
    AC143DF3-1A8D-4E79-8D01-CF1576C4CBAD.jpeg