What's new

Rolling Stone List of Greatest 200 Singers of All Time

Never have I seen this. Now it's one of my favorites. Thanks my friend.
It's on my small YT favorites list. I came across it years ago and watch it regularly.

They just look like they are having fun, young Stevie, clapping and the first pump at the end does it for me.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It's on my small YT favorites list. I came across it years ago and watch it regularly.

They just look like they are having fun, young Stevie, clapping and the first pump at the end does it for me.
"Signed, sealed, delivered"...... Why don't they make his music into a requirement for music appreciation in order to graduate from high skool? This kountry already going to heck in a hand basket, if we can't afford fun classes anymore, how much could this hurt? Lol, and people STILL ask us why the War Department Homeskooled our only begotten.

I asked him once before he got married if he was glad we went that route, and he said, " how many 8 year olds get to run around in the woods with a machete during recess?"

That was then I knew my kid was smarter than me. I was raising a "today's Tom Sawyer" doggone.

And then when he fell in love with the sound track of "Guardians of the Galaxy" it was confirmed that I hadn't screwed him up. I am a blessed man.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
No Gary Numan? Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles back-to-back! No Leslie West or Felix Pappalardi?

Last edited:
Your thoughtful comments on the list are the best thing about the whole enterprise. Thank you.

I haven't seen the entire list. Is Maddy Prior included, or is she also supposed to be represented by Sandy Denny?
You are far too kind Owen B. You make excellent posts yourself!

No. Maddy is not on the list. And your analysis seems good to me!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Only 1 of these guys made it....but I have to post it anyways because it's so freaking awesome.

It's always been one of my favorite duets.

If you haven't already seen it I recommend the film "Beyond the Sea." Kevin Spacey plays Bobby Darin. The music is the best part of the film. Spacey does an amazing job with Darin's songbook without ever descending into impersonation.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
And Tom Jones! Isn't he still at it? Talk about pipes! AND a good man from all I've ever heard.
Tom Jones was and is still a great singer. He's a judge on one of those crazy talent shows and one of the contestants was the son of the composer that wrote "I'm Never Gonna Fall In Love Again" that was a big hit for Tom. They sang it as a duet and Tom still sounds great at 82.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Dylan's live performance of Idiot Wind from the Rolling Thunder/Hard Rain tour in 75-76 is chilling. Like hearing a prophet like Isaiah or John the Baptist with an electric guitar.
Dylan is a genius. But this is a list about singing - although with no criterion (which makes it impossible to actually do). This is absolutely inspiring, but if you judged purely on singing you'd have to deal with many chopped phrases, diphthongs, and some questionable diction, along with tone.

Personally, I enjoy performers for what they give, and Dylan gives plenty. I don't judge him separately as a "singer," because that's not really his job. I would not enjoy his songs half as much if performed by an actual great singer. I often cringe when I hear singers with great tone, vocal technique, phrasing, diction, etc. perform most pop songs - the style is missing.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Archie is probably 80 now. He comes from a famous Scottish musical family. His youngest sister Cilla Fisher might have the best voice in the family. She's best known in the UK for The Singing Kettle, a kids' tv show she hosted for many years. Archie is also a brilliant guitarist. Jimmy Page credits Archie with teaching him how to play an acoustic guitar.

Another great young voice is Aoife O'Donovan. A Boston girl, her dad is an old friend of mine. She's growing in popularity each week, it seems.
I know O'Donovan - a brilliant singer for sure. I am very fond of The Goat Rodeo Sessions, where she also sang.

I love it when people discuss subjective things. I didn't read the list. I just keep with my opinion of today. Freddie Mercury and Whitney Houston tie for first. Then there is everyone else.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
From the publication that put Keith Richards in the top 10 list of guitarists. He’s not even the best guitarist in his band. They are a joke.

From the publication that put Keith Richards in the top 10 list of guitarists. He’s not even the best guitarist in his band. They are a joke.
They put Keith at 4. I hear you, even though Keith is one of my very favorite guitarists. A master creator of riffs. I think Ronnie, on the other hand, is a good player. Strong but not really special. He can play slide and he can play with Keith and both of those are nice. I just read that Keith played lead and rhythm on Gimme Shelter. I am impressed.

Top Bottom