What's new

Rollerball / ballpoint retractable with interesting look

Hi folks,

Looking for some recommendations please. I'm after a nice rollerball or ballpoint retractable (preferably with a 1.3mm+ point refill available) which has a cool / interesting look & action. Any ideas from The Nib?

I use the Monteverdi one touch rollerball at work and have 4 in total. They take regular ink cartridges or a converters, any ink you want and they lay a fat line down too. My work one has had 1 nib / ball change in 3 years.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Retro 51! I like the military/aerospace themed ones, but I they have a design for just about any sensibility.

Thanks very much all for your input. None were far off the mark - particularly the Retro 51 items which are just cool. But I've ordered a Monteverde one-touch tool pen. Couldn't resist the ruler, screwdriver and spirit level, and D1 refills are available with super-broad tips. Went for the yellow.

1635089986618.png

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Thanks very much all for your input. None were far off the mark - particularly the Retro 51 items which are just cool. But I've ordered a Monteverde one-touch tool pen. Couldn't resist the ruler, screwdriver and spirit level, and D1 refills are available with super-broad tips. Went for the yellow.

View attachment 1351401
Looks cool. I like the high viz color too harder to lose
Let us know how it looks and writes. Interested in the d132 refills.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

View attachment 1351401

I have one. A Christmas present from my nieces last year. I think mine is Troika branded, and is a black version. Maybe not a pen for extended writing sessions, but an enjoyable pen all the same.

Maybe not a pen for extended writing sessions, but an enjoyable pen all the same.
Yep I can imagine - I'll mostly be jotting notes with it, the keyboard gets the brunt of it for writing extended pieces. Still, I like a pen that looks & feels good and has a decent flow. Hoping the broad tips I've ordered are as nice to write with as the Mexican 1.3mm Bic Cristals I've been using religiously the last few months :)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Yep I can imagine - I'll mostly be jotting notes with it, the keyboard gets the brunt of it for writing extended pieces. Still, I like a pen that looks & feels good and has a decent flow. Hoping the broad tips I've ordered are as nice to write with as the Mexican 1.3mm Bic Cristals I've been using religiously the last few months :)

I do like D1 inserts. The ones I am using in the Troika Tool Pen, and the Zebra Telescopic, are both to my liking. I don't know what brand or tip size they are though.

Quick update - I've had a while with this pen and I'm pretty happy. Merits and demerits:

+ Writes fluidly with the d1 wide tips
+ Comfortable in the hand, at least for note taking
+ Generally well put together

- The pen assembly itself is a push fit only. I'd have expected a threaded or latched connection but it does seem reasonably sturdy
- The clip is a bit flimsy - stamped lightweight steel, and its chrome doesn't match anything else on the pen. Could have done with a nice machined clip to go with the smooth matte stainless on either end.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Quick update - I've had a while with this pen and I'm pretty happy. Merits and demerits:

+ Writes fluidly with the d1 wide tips
+ Comfortable in the hand, at least for note taking
+ Generally well put together

- The pen assembly itself is a push fit only. I'd have expected a threaded or latched connection but it does seem reasonably sturdy
- The clip is a bit flimsy - stamped lightweight steel, and its chrome doesn't match anything else on the pen. Could have done with a nice machined clip to go with the smooth matte stainless on either end.
Thanks for the update. Nice to see its working. Bummer about the clip. I wanted to also mention that I use bic crystal pens at work. They write so wide and wet. Can also be messy like a fp and have tended to leak if not kept upright.

Thanks for the update. Nice to see its working. Bummer about the clip. I wanted to also mention that I use bic crystal pens at work. They write so wide and wet. Can also be messy like a fp and have tended to leak if not kept upright.
I really like the wide tip Bics. Think they're 1.6mm. Never had one leak, but they're a bit narrow in the hand to be comfortable. The Monteverdi is nice & chunky.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I really like the wide tip Bics. Think they're 1.6mm. Never had one leak, but they're a bit narrow in the hand to be comfortable. The Monteverdi is nice & chunky.
I’ve seen a few leak when stored tip side down. I get ink on my fingers typically using them because so much ink is flowing out of that wide body. It’s my go to office pen.

Top Bottom