What's new

Rolled edge??

I am relatively new to straight razors shaving. I'm just over 100 shaves in. I wasn't in a hurry to learn honing. I just wanted to learn the stropping and shaving part first, and to see if I was in this for the long hall. Well I did make up my mind and I decided I was in it for the long hall. So I did buy me some stones. I haven't used them yet because I am waiting on the old beater razors to come in that I ordered, because I don't want to ruin my good ones while learning to hone.

I have run into a bit of a dilemma though. I bought my Ralf Aust razor new and it was shave ready. I successfully stropped and shaved with it 64 times without rolling or dulling my edge. At shave 65 I did a refreshing on a balsawood strop with crox. It did wake up my edge and make it like new again, and it shaved very well for another 6 shaves. Today's shave I did my normal stropping routine, and I always check the hht test before and after a shave and it failed the 1st 3/4, of the blade.

I don't have any magnification yet, but I did look at the apex under a strong light source. Its does appear to have glimmers of light catching in spots on the apex. I don't understand what went wrong, because I'm OCD as crap, but that don't mean I didn't mess up though!! I always strop using a light touch with a taught strop. I never rinse under the facet, because of the fear of dinging the edge, so I wipe the lather in a stropping motion on a soft sponge. I always post strop to insure the edge is dry. I always oil the blade with ballistol. My routine has never changed. I have read of guys getting over 100 shaves without touchups.

So did I over do it when I did my refreshing on the crox? I did do 80 or so laps. I was thinking can crox cause a wire edge? Did I create a wire edge, and the edge just crumbled? I was reading on the PDF of Iwasaki honing guide. He stated that stropping with crox does remove the wire edge, but using it on wood he suggested that it causes the blade to chip, so he recommended some kind of cloth?? I don't know if I created a wire edge or not, but something went wrong?? Any suggestions on what might have went wrong?

I indeed have lots to learn, but I wouldn't think that crox would cause a burr, because in the knife world we use stropping compounds to remove burrs all the time. Ive read of people saying or watched videos of people saying only do like 10-20 strokes on a 12k, or 3-4 strokes on a 16k, because of microchipping or wire edge will occur on you razor. So How can a person achieve a 16k edge by only doing 3-4 laps?? I'm my mind their is no way that those stones are that fast. I have also read of some experienced razor ssharpeners say that some stones its impossible to over hone. For example they said that they have used a certain natural finishing stone and no matter how many strokes they do they can not over hone, but when you are using a very high grit synthetic stone, you can experience over honing past 3-4 strokes on a 16k?? That don't make sense to my manic mind lol!!:a52:

IMO one can over hone on a knife, razor or any tool with "any stone", if you use to much pressure. I can understand staying on the bevel setter until its set, but why lesser strokes as you increase higher in the grits? In my mind there is no way 3-4 strokes on a 16k stone will give you a 16k grit level of an edge?? I do understand over honing . If you was wanting to get technical look at it this way:a54: I would consider this: (even though I don't agree with what In typing below) "Looks like to me you've already took your edge as far as its going to go at bevel set. Meaning if you go any further that there will be a wire edge, because you have met on both sides to form what I call invisible sharp/apex."

How I see and I maybe wrong, but as you are refining the edge with higher grits, you would lighten on the pressure to almost zero pressure. Anything above the bevel setter is what I call "honing"/ polishing, and the bevel setter is actually "sharpening". So keep the touch light and you will not have a wire burr or false edge?? Yes these fine stones remove metal, but nothing significant. :a54: Stropping on plain linen will actually remove some metal, because overtime the linen becomes black from swarf, and you can even see fine metal particles in your plain leather if you look close enough. If the leather and linen doesnt remove anything even on a molecular level to enhance or improve our edges then why do we use them?? Leather has just enough silicates to burnish/ polish our edges even way above a nano of a measurement. Very fine stones like a 12k or even a 30k can't remove that much material to cause a burr if used the correct way, as far as correct pressure. Can they?? I think of it this way try and set an bevel with a super high grit synthetic, and see how long it takes. I maybe wrong, but that's how my mind sees it.:cursing:

Last edited:
So, you've gotten more into the weeds than I ever have or will, but the glaring statement is you bought stones but have not used them.

Two benefits of buying 100 year old straights is they are cheap and are made of excellent steel when quality was essential. Anything new is a novelty as barbers use shavettes today. No saying the new products are not good quality, but no one is shaving 50 men per day.

I started out using non adhesive backed 3M lapping films for $27. My first hone was a success. I used the razor this morning. Later I picked up a small Thuringian and coticule for touch ups. This allows me not to be too concerned about a rolled edge, but my stropping is minimal. Maybe 12 laps on linen and the same or a few more on horse hide.

In the end CrOx cannot restore and edge if it was rolled, most CrOx os over 15k in grit so it’s just a polishing compound and can do very little to restore a damaged edge, if you want pm me and I can more than likely fix it just put a few dollars in the box with the razor to cover return shipping

In the end CrOx cannot restore and edge if it was rolled, most CrOx os over 15k in grit so it’s just a polishing compound and can do very little to restore a damaged edge, if you want pm me and I can more than likely fix it just put a few dollars in the box with the razor to cover return shipping
Nice gesture :a14:

I suggest you take a 12k Naniwa, do 5-7 blade weight only laps, then 5-7 on Crox, finish with 60-70 strops on leather on a paddle strop. That should bring your edge back to its original status. I find overdoing Crox dulls the blade.

I suggest you take a 12k Naniwa, do 5-7 blade weight only laps, then 5-7 on Crox, finish with 60-70 strops on leather on a paddle strop. That should bring your edge back to its original status. I find overdoing Crox dulls the blade.

Agree. You don't need many strokes with CrOx.
Also make sure your stone is perfectly lapped.

Interesting questions and a lot of hypothetical. First just look at the razor with a loupe and see what actually happened then if in fact you have a wire edge or some other phenomenon re hone it. Over use of Crox can mess up your edge and many ways. As fine as Crox may seem it cuts steel really well and can change geometry. 80 strokes with crox will do too much of a good thing. try no more that 10- 15. That's plenty to tune a failing edge. If you have to do lots of strokes please use a very stable base like a maybe a balsa strop. i generally stay away from this stuff for my own reasons. Mainly I have plenty of stone options and dont find it adds anything good to the equation. But when I did use it, I preferred Cloth or a Pasted loom strop. Worked ok if used with taste.

You can create a wire edge with Crox. You can finish on a 16k Shap Glass Stone in 4-8 strokes, many people try to stay under 15 laps with that stone. Eighty laps on Crox is serious overkill, very likely has a hand in the issues you're experiencing. Iwasaki was trying to remove a burr created by honing with a lot of pressure. That burr is going to be much different than one created by stropping on Crox - so you're comparing apples and asteroids. As for what is sharpening and what is polishing, it's all the same thing - scratching steel. Many people, myself included, consider up to 5k/8k sharpening. Its hard to draw an objective line because the 'K' is only a theory. After 80 laps on crox, I'd reset the bevel and finish normally without Crox. If an edge tugs, 5-8 laps on crox should suffice.

Interesting opinions and I am sure experienced based. If I do something and get a better shave I tend to repeat the process. I've not found a need for optics at this point. So I would say that whatever provides a better, more efficient shave to be the deciding factor.

Top Bottom