What's new

Roger & Gallet

I went downtown intending to buy some Tabac soap after reading all the glowing reports of it on here, Guess what? yeah out of stock. I Didn't know what to buy, just something different and spied some Roger & Gallet perfumed shaving soap and remembering that I liked their eau de toilette, thought I might as well try this. It really does have a great scent although some may find it overpowering. Produced a very nice lather felt quite moisturizing, really slick too and got a great shave with it.

I think I'm developing SSAD :biggrin:

Yep, the R&G is an excellent performer if you can get on with the scent and it lasts a long time too. The wooden bowl it comes in is one of the best I've used for in-bowl lathering. I actually left the lid off mine for a few weeks in an effort to tone down the scent. An excellent product, though not easy to find.

s

I'm a fan of the R&G soap as well. When first taken out of the package the scent was overpowering but I have a similar experience as Scapa's. I just leave it in the wooden bowl covered after use and the scent mellowed out quite a bit. I would put shave quality on par with Harris and Trumpers, (IMHO) perhaps a little more drying than those two but shave quality is excellent.

There are some threads kicking around comparing various French soaps. This first on by Ron has links to reviews he did of several French soaps, excellent write-ups!

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=258&highlight=roger+gallet+l%27homme

and a good discussion:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28195&highlight=french+soap+comparison

They didn't have the bowls so I just got the refill and grated it and stuck it in an old Wilkinson blue container, worked brilliantly. It's expensive in Montreal,
but being impatient it didn't really bother me paying over the odds, plus making a new discovery.

Had a proper shave today, yesterday's was just with minimal preparation, basically I had to play with the soap immediately and was impressed with it. Now I'm delighted and love it too.

I must get a life sometime:biggrin:

Oh! forgot to add, thanks for those links. Got to get some work done, this is crazy.

Top Bottom