What's new

Rocnel Elite

I see that Rocnel just released on their website today the 8th generation of their Elite razor. It’s a three piece DE razor, non-adjustable, 316L stainless steel. I’m not sure how long ago the previous version was (2019?), but I think he hasn’t made them for a while. Have any of you guys used a Rocnel Elite before? I would be interested to hear your impressions and learn more about it, understanding of course that the new one has some changes.

BTW, the description on Rocnel’s website warns that it should not be used for shaving the genital area, so that’s quite promising in my view.

97C22C95-BCF4-4440-BDEC-B8D198D48FCD.jpeg

G

Guest2023

I had Elite 2018 1.95. It was better than Rocnel Sailor 2020 but definitely not my favorite pick because of bulky baseplate and heavy weight. It felt similar to Tatara Masamune in terms of smoothness and efficiency.

It is an excellent razor but there are lots of as good or better options wih less money.

I had Elite 2018 1.95. It was better than Rocnel Sailor 2020 but definitely not my favorite pick because of bulky baseplate and heavy weight. It felt similar to Tatara Masamune in terms of smoothness and efficiency.

It is an excellent razor but there are lots of as good or better options wih less money.
Very helpful, thanks. I do have a Rocnel SE50 single edge razor from the last release and it wasn’t great for me, as much as I love Rocnel’s Sailor. I thought the SE50 was much too heavy for an SE and it was very mild with a small effective shaving angle, so in combination it felt kinda clunky and numb to me. It also has an odd sliding top cap secured by an allen screw (no allen key provided), which is quite inconvenient to use and is prone to loosening itself. Many others love it, I’m sure, but it wasn’t my thing.

The Tatara Masamune is quite a mild razor, right? From your comments it sounds as though the Elite might be quite similar to my SE50. For me that would be a shame because in appearance it looks like a Sailor and that is a damn efficient razor.

Managed to read through Rocnel’s description for the new Elite, and did a little more research.

The 2022 Elite weighs 99g compared to 122g for the 2019 version, and it looks like Murat is saying the handle is hollow, the base plate is lighter, and the balance has been redesigned. So that sounds positive to me - 99g isn’t particularly heavy. My Rocnel SE50 is a whopping 150g - more even than the Sailor - so I’m glad the new Elite is nothing like that.

The 2019 Elite was offered in two base plate options, ‘M’ (mild?) and ‘A’ (aggressive?). The new 2022 Elite is only one plate, based on the old ‘A’ (aggressive?) configuration, and he seems to indicate there is some blade feel. But he also says it is intended to suit daily shavers, so I’m not sure how aggressive it is.

A bunch of other refinements for this model but a couple particularly stood out to me:
- Handle grip is improved by adding a surface texture (circles etched into the surface), so it sounds more grippy than the Sailor and that’s good (also good news for the 2023 Sailor, I bet, as a bit better grip would be an improvement)
- The head is designed for easier blade loading - the base plate has a recess that can stick onto the handle like Lego, so you don’t have to hold three pieces when you assemble it, and the screw for the handle is radiused to screw easily and prevent a wrong angle or cross-threading

Sounds a bit more promising to me now. The weight is ok, the looks are great, but I don’t know how it will shave. It it is equivalent to setting 2.5 to 3 on the Sailor then I would be all over this.

Last edited:
G

Guest2023

Very helpful, thanks. I do have a Rocnel SE50 single edge razor from the last release and it wasn’t great for me, as much as I love Rocnel’s Sailor. I thought the SE50 was much too heavy for an SE and it was very mild with a small effective shaving angle, so in combination it felt kinda clunky and numb to me. It also has an odd sliding top cap secured by an allen screw (no allen key provided), which is quite inconvenient to use and is prone to loosening itself. Many others love it, I’m sure, but it wasn’t my thing.

The Tatara Masamune is quite a mild razor, right? From your comments it sounds as though the Elite might be quite similar to my SE50. For me that would be a shame because in appearance it looks like a Sailor and that is a damn efficient razor.

Yes. Elite is quite mild. I don't know about the newer SE50 but I had the original one released 5 or 6 years ago. I think SE50 is more efficient but less convenient to use than Elite. I think Rocnel tend to make razors too bulky a head and heavy for me.

Yes. Elite is quite mild. I don't know about the newer SE50 but I had the original one released 5 or 6 years ago. I think SE50 is more efficient but less convenient to use than Elite. I think Rocnel tend to make razors too bulky a head and heavy for me.
Yes, Rocnel razors are all ‘solidly built’. I looked it up and your 2018 Elite was 140g, and the base plate really was strikingly thick. The 2019 Elite came down to 122g, but still a thick base plate, and the 2022 is 99g, with a more sculpted base plate (still thick in the middle, like the Sailor). My SE50 at 150g is crazy for a single edge razor, and I don’t think weight suits a single edge design - the Blackland Vector is more what you expect, though that actually isn’t super light.

It’s a big weight reduction bringing the Elite from 140g to 99g, so overall weight shouldn’t be an issue now, but I worry a bit about the razor being head-heavy if too much of the weight reduction is from the hollowed out handle rather than the base plate. The website does say the 2022 razor has redesigned balance, but doesn’t say which way. Personally I much prefer balanced or handle-heavy razors, and I don’t usually get along with head-heavy razors.

I’m still intrigued by the new Elite, and it looks considerably more refined than the older Elites, but it seems like it may not be my ideal in balance or efficiency. I’ll wait and see reviews before I consider buying one.

Rocnel website

They lost me at "it should not be used for shaving the genital area" :D

My 2 elites. One has a much thicker bottom plate and is milder. Both are wonderful shavers.
Fantastic to see them. I bet there aren’t so many of those in existence. I had always heard good things about the Elites but it’s been a long time waiting for this new one to be offered. I’m glad I finally have one now.

Fantastic to see them. I bet there aren’t so many of those in existence. I had always heard good things about the Elites but it’s been a long time waiting for this new one to be offered. I’m glad I finally have one now.

They are definitely a rarer razor. Took me ages to find these. I would love to get the new one but chose the sailor which DHL are currently shipping to me. If there is any stock left at the end of the month I might treat myself.

They are definitely a rarer razor. Took me ages to find these. I would love to get the new one but chose the sailor which DHL are currently shipping to me. If there is any stock left at the end of the month I might treat myself.
Well, the Sailor is the Sailor. Always going to be the first choice. There’s nothing like it.

I forgot I had started this thread and it would have made more sense if I had posted about my initial shave with the 2022 Elite here, rather than in the Sailor thread. So, with apologies for the duplication, I’m re-pasting it here so it’s easier for anyone to find….

Ooh. Just had my first shave with the new 2022 Elite and it was absolutely lovely - and surprising. It doesn’t feel like the Sailor, even though it looks like it. It feels smooooooth. I don’t mean mild. I’d say it‘s medium efficiency, something like the Sailor on level 2 - definitely lower than level 3 - and there’s a little bit of blade feel, comfortably so and not a lot. But the razor just feels really, really smooth when I draw it across my face.

I will wait and see how close my shave was and how long it lasts, but it just felt so smooth to shave with. Must be something to do with the safety bar and top cap, and the way they are finished. Smoooo-ooo-oooooth. Not sure I’ve shaved with anything that felt like this.

The razor felt nicely balanced, a comfortable weight, and the invisible handle texture really grips. I think this is going to be one of those razors I treasure because it’s not only good but it seems to have something unique about it that will be the reason I keep picking it up.

Smooooooth.

Was accompanied by a delightful creamy smooth lather (Kaliflower Tjära - pine tar) and the smoothest, softest brush in the world (Wald A1), finished off with my Goodfella’s witch hazel and a splash of lovely Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber aftershave. Kind of a special shave where everything came together. A nice way to end what was a quite stressful day.

Will get a few more shaves with it before I settle my opinion, and maybe do a side-by-side with my Blutt or something, but this was interesting and not what I was anticipating. Don’t expect a fixed-gap Sailor; the Elite is it’s own thing entirely.

Top Bottom