What's new

Rockwell T2 or Parker Variant?

Rockwell T2, or Parker Variant?

• Rockwell T2

• Parker Variant

Results are only viewable after voting.
Looking to get my FIRST adjustable razor.

Winnowed it down to either the (relatively) new Rockwell T2, or a Parker Variant (was considering a Pearl as well, but another member mentioned it was unnecessarily heavy 🙁).

WHICH one would you choose?

So far, IMO, Parker has the EDGE, due to its competitive price point ($57 for the Parker, vs. $130 for the Rockwell, via “Maggard’s”).

WHICH one would you choose? 🤔

Thanks in advance for your input, gents! 😎💈

Looking to get my FIRST adjustable razor.

Winnowed it down to either the (relatively) new Rockwell T2, or a Parker Variant (was considering a Pearl as well, but another member mentioned it was unnecessarily heavy [emoji853]).

WHICH one would you choose?

So far, IMO, Parker has the EDGE, due to its competitive price point ($57 for the Parker, vs. $130 for the Rockwell, via “Maggard’s”).

WHICH one would you choose? [emoji848]

Thanks in advance for your input, gents! [emoji41][emoji610]
I get a fine shave from the T2 but price and handling gives the edge to the Variant or Progress.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I haven't used the T1 or T2 so I won't say anything against them.

I have Parker Variant Adjustable for last 10 months and I'm satisfied with the shaves from it.

It has blade chatter on higher settings, it has Zamac head and 2 piece design but built very well.

For the price it is a good razor, I personally won't shell out more than $100 for a razor that isn't SS or Brass.
That is me, I can't say about OP or other people, it's your money and you are free to spend it however you want.

Between the two, I'll consider the Parker Variant Adjustable.

Ps: Variant Adjustable is the only Zamac head razor in my rotation and I plan to keep it as it offers a unique bandwidth of usability among my other razors.

I voted for the T2, as I haven't tried the Variant and won't recommend a product I haven't personally used.

OTOH, I have the Merkur Progress which the Variant copied. That ia also a very nice adjustable, for about half of the everyday price of the T2. I'd wait for Black Friday, or watch the BST or the B&B Auction in October.

I voted for the T2, as I haven't tried the Variant and won't recommend a product I haven't personally used.

OTOH, I have the Merkur Progress which the Variant copied. That is also a very nice adjustable, for about half of the everyday price of the T2. I'd wait for Black Friday, or watch the BST or the B&B Auction in October.

I haven't used the T1 or T2 so I won't say anything against them.

I have Parker Variant Adjustable for last 10 months and I'm satisfied with the shaves from it.

It has blade chatter on higher settings, it has Zamac head and 2 piece design but built very well.

For the price it is a good razor, I personally won't shell out more than $100 for a razor that isn't SS or Brass.
That is me, I can't say about OP or other people, it's your money and you are free to spend it however you want.

Between the two, I'll consider the Parker Variant Adjustable.

Ps: Variant Adjustable is the only Zamac head razor in my rotation and I plan to keep it as it offers a unique bandwidth of usability among my other razors.
Thanks for the input, “CvF,” but…, “blade chatter?,” “Zamac head?” 😳🤔

Ya got me, bro.

Care to ELABORATE? 🤓

Thanks for the input, “CvF,” but…, “blade chatter?,” “Zamac head?” 😳🤔

Ya got me, bro.

Care to ELABORATE? 🤓

Blade chatter = tendency of blade to vibrate during shaving especially when the blade is not rigidly fixed / clamped via the top clap and base plate mechanism.

Parker Variant Adjustable has support for the blade in the central area and sort of curves the blade at milder settings, when higher settings are used the tension on blade is reduced to increase the blade gap and the positive exposure of the blade occurs.

Since the blade ends or outer area is not rigidly supported in Parker Variant Adjustable, it causes some blade chatter and for me that translates to less than optimal shave.

This is my understanding of the term, more experienced members may be able to explain better or even improve my understanding.

Zamac head = top cap of the Variant Adjustable is made up Zamac and it is prone to damage especially the thread if the razor falls or manhandled.

For a razor priced at $50-60 in adjustable format it is acceptable.

By the information provided by the Rockwell in T2 description page it seems like Zamac material is used in the razor.

Again, I'm not against Zamac as it has been used since a long time but I'll prefer better metals.

This is a screenshot of the description at Rockwell T2 page, note the second line in Material section -

Screenshot_2021-08-16-09-15-58-320_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg

I'm just stating the vfm aspect of the Parker Variant Adjustable and since I haven't used the T1/ T2 models, I won't say anything about the price vs satisfaction factor and performance.

There is no product that can be considered as a waste or too expensive, it'll all depend upon the person purchasing it.

Ps: Zamac is an alloy of various metals and it is easier to use in difficult designs that harder metals.
Composition varies with usage.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
We sure that the TTO form is not invented to improve the shaving effect. Gillette is purely to promote de blade consumption.
At the same time, we'll spend more money on the cool opening and closing mechanism instead of improving the shaving effect.

Both razors also use zamak, but the TTO has more trivial structures, the risk of damage is higher, and it is not really good for cleaning.

If the purchase of the adjustable type is to increase the shave variation, one of my tickets will be given to PARKER.
The extra funds can get a beautiful slim on eBay, which gives me the exquisite workmanship + brass + cool TTO mechanism of the most glorious period in the history of razors.
The win-win result also promotes the collection.

Top Bottom