What's new

Rockwell T2 First Impressions

I had a Rockwell T2 and it was smooth as butter but not very efficient. There is very little to no blade feel in the T2. A good thing for some, a bad thing to others.

I didn't dislike my T2 but I kept the ones that were better suited for my skin and facialhair.

The razor did shave. No issue there. There was just more effort on having to shave since I barely felt any blade feel during the shave. I started on a setting of 3 on the first pass, then increased it to 4. I still did not feel too much. I have not set it to the higher number, but I will start with that when I shave again with this razor.

I don't think the Astra blade is doing any favors when used in this razor. I will also try a feather blade and see how it goes with that blade razor combo.

I checked for the blade being even, that the razor did adjust when turning the dial. The blade feels solid while in the razor. Again, no issues with the blade or the razor. The razor looks and feels quite solid. Just blade feel felt lacking. My Futur really does spoil me. And having the Rex Ambassador and the Edwin Jaggar 316 does not help things out when comparing the T2 to these razors. It's been a long time since I used the Feather AS-D2. IF I were to guess, I believe the Feather would feel aggressive compared to the T2. But the Feather is a mild razor which is why it did not see much action and why I sold it off years back.

Stay tuned for the next shave.
My T2 is about like my 34 and 89 razors…All beautiful and fine razors, but not very exciting. I will use my Feather AS-D2 when shaving on consecutive days, particularly when using one of my Straights the day before.

I had a Rockwell T2 and it was smooth as butter but not very efficient. There is very little to no blade feel in the T2. A good thing for some, a bad thing to others.

I didn't dislike my T2 but I kept the ones that were better suited for my skin and facialhair.
I've found that the "no blade feel equates to inefficiency" is also subjective. My Wet shaving club "The winning razor" has zero blade feel but it mows down whiskers like aggressive razors. So I think the head design and blade of choice plays a big role in this. The Henson razor has the same design as the one I mentioned and from what I've read, it's the same thing: No blade feel but it's very efficient!

OK, so I gave the T2 a second try today - this time I used a brand-new feather blade. I positioned the setting to 6 on the razor - maximum openness on the first pass. The second pass - xtg & agt, I dialed down the setting to 5. The second time shaving with this razor felt the same as it did with the first shave - it got the job done. It was lackluster with not much blade feel. A couple of others who here mentioned that they also got a shave from this razor was that there was no blade feel. I agree with their comments.

As I stated before, this razor is a great razor that will get the job done - if your preference is an adjustable that has little to no blade feel. It is a solidly built razor, but it does not have the same excitement as I get from shaving with other razors.

So back to Rockwell this razor will go which I am sad to say.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
OK, so I gave the T2 a second try today - this time I used a brand-new feather blade. I positioned the setting to 6 on the razor - maximum openness on the first pass. The second pass - xtg & agt, I dialed down the setting to 5. The second time shaving with this razor felt the same as it did with the first shave - it got the job done. It was lackluster with not much blade feel. A couple of others who here mentioned that they also got a shave from this razor was that there was no blade feel. I agree with their comments.

As I stated before, this razor is a great razor that will get the job done - if your preference is an adjustable that has little to no blade feel. It is a solidly built razor, but it does not have the same excitement as I get from shaving with other razors.

So back to Rockwell this razor will go which I am sad to say.

I am sorry to hear that, but its perfectly understandable! If a razor does not perform as one needs it to, then one is destined to try another razor. So ya Discomike, the Rex Ambassador, it is your destiny. 😁

darth vader GIF

And through the power of the Rex Ambassador, no other razor shall beat you, thats the power of the Ambassador side. :p

Try putting in the Feather blade and go to a mid setting. My first couple shaves with my Lupo DE which is aluminum was mild even though it's a supposedly medium mild razor. I like the Bic blades generally but the Feather is the clear winner on that razor. Now it's a beast shaving!
I think that blade choice is a big factor on different razors whether they're mild or agressive. Part of the experimentation!
Not to hijack this thread, but I'm looking at the Lupo DE. Can you compare it to a Rockwell 6 as far as which plate it compares to? Would you say it's a medium aggressive shaver? Never tried an aluminum, but the Lupo DE price point seems like a perfect opportunity to try one without much risk. Thanks!

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm looking at the Lupo DE. Can you compare it to a Rockwell 6 as far as which plate it compares to? Would you say it's a medium aggressive shaver? Never tried an aluminum, but the Lupo DE price point seems like a perfect opportunity to try one without much risk. Thanks!
Maybe someone else with both can chime in. I don't know anything about the Rockwell razors. What I can tell you is that the Lupo DE has become one of my favorites (my only aluminum razor). I like the light feel vs. steel because it teaches you control. You don't have the razors weight to depend on so your hand/wrist action is what controls the pressure. And the aluminum has a lot of sound feedback as it cuts which is very satisfying. Well worth it for the price and it's very well built.

I have a Rockwell 6C and a Lupo Aluminum (as well as Lupo 72 and DC). I would say plates 3 or 4 would be closest to the Lupo aluminum. It's rather mild but will give me a good shave with a more aggressive blade such as a Bic, Nacet, or Feather.

I just looked at Razorock's chart and I see they rate the Aluminum Lupo like an Edwin Jagger DE89. I would say it's slightly more aggressive than the DE89.

All just my opinion of course.

I have the Rockwell 6s and the Lupo 72 (both razors are stainless steel). In my opinion, the Lupo 72 is approximately the same as the 6s plate 4 or 5, depending on the blade used.

I have a Rockwell 6C and a Lupo Aluminum (as well as Lupo 72 and DC). I would say plates 3 or 4 would be closest to the Lupo aluminum. It's rather mild but will give me a good shave with a more aggressive blade such as a Bic, Nacet, or Feather.

I just looked at Razorock's chart and I see they rate the Aluminum Lupo like an Edwin Jagger DE89. I would say it's slightly more aggressive than the DE89.

All just my opinion of course.

You probably just sold me on it. I use plate 4 usually but can use 3 also. Thanks for the information!

Adjustable TTO razors are my favorites, so I applaud Rockwell for creating and refining this razor. To me the T2 is a little more aggressive than the Gillette Toggle or Gillette Model 195 (Fatboy), so I use Personna Platinum blades rather than FEATHER or PERMA-SHARP blades (which to me are sharper than Personnas), and one setting lower than with the aforementioned Gillette razors. I enjoy having a modern adjustable TTO razor in my rotation.

Top Bottom