What's new

Rockwell T2 First Impressions

So today I tried the Rockwell T2 Razor for the first time. My shaving experience with it was not that great. Read on as this is not totally the fault of the razor, but todays saving experience as I changed things from my normal routine.

Today I used the following:
Preshave - proraso eculyptus & menthol
Shaving Cream - Taylor of Old Bond Street Cedarwood - from my sample pack - first time with this
Shaving Brush - omega boar brush - first time using it from west coast shaving
Razor - Rockwell T2 - first time
Blade - Astra green

I purchased a boars shaving brush to see what it would be like since the boar brush is more agressive on the face. Trying it out on my face felt a bit more agressive compared to my trusty Silver Badger Brush. But it felt totally fine on my face. This was jot an issue.

So what made this shaving experience not so hot? Well first thing is that I could not get the shaving cream to lather up with the brush like I normally would with my silver Badger. The lather was thin and did not fill the bowl as I would have expected. The lather lasted 1-1/2 shaves. I filled it again with the cedarwood shaving cream in the middle of the second pass. but the lathering results were just not there.

The T2 is an adjustable razor. I set it to 3 which is adjustable from 1-6. Using the T2 with the astra razor felt mild. More mild than what I am accustomed to. It felt like a disappointing shave as I barely felt the blade. Out of all the razors I have:
Merkur Futur (adjustable)
EDWIN Jagger 316
REX Ambassador (adjustable)
Rockwell T2 (adjustable)

The T2 was the mildest shave I have where I barely felt the blade. On the second pass, I dialed it up to 4. I really did not feel more blade than on the 3 setting. Now I know what it means when people say there is not much blade feel with their razors. I feel plenty of blade with the other razors. The Futur is probably the most blade feel out of them all.

The end result was a bbs on the cheeks and a dfs on the chin area.

Note that this is the first time using this so maybe a different blade would feel more agressive. I am deffinetly going to use this razor again with a different blade to see if I get a differnet result. Will it climb up the charts? Stay tuned.

As far as the boar brush is concerned, maybe I will use a soap next time, or maybe I will use a non-sample cream to see if I can get a better lather with this brush.

I would love to hear your experience with this razor. And if you have tips on how to use a boar brush, I would love to hear it too.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
So what made this shaving experience not so hot? Well first thing is that I could not get the shaving cream to lather up with the brush like I normally would with my silver Badger. The lather was thin and did not fill the bowl as I would have expected. The lather lasted 1-1/2 shaves. I filled it again with the cedarwood shaving cream in the middle of the second pass. but the lathering results were just not there.

As far as the boar brush is concerned, maybe I will use a soap next time, or maybe I will use a non-sample cream to see if I can get a better lather with this brush.
Interesting write up with your first outing with the Rockwell T2 adjustable, you will find the sweet spot soon on your new razor I will speculate with a few more uses.
As for your Boar brush you have to soak it for a minimum of 2 minutes before use until it ages a little and it will lather well. I have 5 boar brushes and really enjoy the change up and when they age a little through use they are softer and great.
A lot of fellows usually have a cup and just soak the brush up the knot about 3/4 of the way up the knot to make the bristles become pliable and the brush will release the soap lather much better.

@Ron R

Thanks. I believe I let it soak in water for a few mins. But I released a lot of water after the soak as I do with the silver Badger so that I don't Drown the lather. Bad idea?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
@Ron R

Thanks. I believe I let it soak in water for a few mins. But I released a lot of water after the soak as I do with the silver Badger so that I don't Drown the lather. Bad idea?
I usually always give my brush a squeeze also and just add water as needed, it takes a few times to dial the brush in to your needs. Badger brushes are easier to make lather than other brushes other than synthetic brushes from my experiences.

Orville Redenbachers you heathen! :a13:

With enough butter to saturate the container holding it and as much salt as it takes to preserve meat! :001_tt2:

I hope I live long enough to read the next post! :w00t:
Get a jar of unpopped popcorn, brown “lunch” sacks. Cover bottom (inside) with popcorn. Microwave for 5 minutes or until popping slows down. Melt real butter, pour then salt. (Get real popcorn salt too)

Much better than microwaved prefab bags with butter flavored grease.

I get good shaves from my T2 and I believe I am on setting four. Stay with it. It sounds like you got a good shave in spite of the lather problem.

First time with shave cream, brush, and razor in the same shave? No wonder it wasn't great.
My first time DE shave was with the following first-time-use listed below:
Merkur Futur razor
Merkur razor blade
my silver badger razor
forgot which first-time shaving cream, pre, post shave i used. Probably it was the AoS sandalwood or Lavender shaving kit I used

The results I got with my first-time DE shave (using the Futur) was a great shave. I did not experience the same joyous firsts when I used the Rockwell T2. But I will try again with the same razor with a different mix-up of other shaving items this weekend.

I get good shaves from my T2 and I believe I am on setting four. Stay with it. It sounds like you got a good shave in spite of the lather problem.

Thanks. I certainly will.

Regardless of what my future results are with this razor - whether I sell it, return it, or keep it, I would still highly recommend it to others who would look for a mild shave as this is a solidly built razor which deserves a home in someones shaving cabinet.

Watching without much to add

:popc:
This one is just for you APB 😁😁😁😁😁😁

20220416_165239.jpg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
So today I tried the Rockwell T2 Razor for the first time. My shaving experience with it was not that great. Read on as this is not totally the fault of the razor, but todays saving experience as I changed things from my normal routine.

Today I used the following:
Preshave - proraso eculyptus & menthol
Shaving Cream - Taylor of Old Bond Street Cedarwood - from my sample pack - first time with this
Shaving Brush - omega boar brush - first time using it from west coast shaving
Razor - Rockwell T2 - first time
Blade - Astra green

I purchased a boars shaving brush to see what it would be like since the boar brush is more agressive on the face. Trying it out on my face felt a bit more agressive compared to my trusty Silver Badger Brush. But it felt totally fine on my face. This was jot an issue.

The T2 is an adjustable razor. I set it to 3 which is adjustable from 1-6. Using the T2 with the astra razor felt mild. More mild than what I am accustomed to. It felt like a disappointing shave as I barely felt the blade. Out of all the razors I have:
Merkur Futur (adjustable)
EDWIN Jagger 316
REX Ambassador (adjustable)
Rockwell T2 (adjustable)

The T2 was the mildest shave I have where I barely felt the blade. On the second pass, I dialed it up to 4. I really did not feel more blade than on the 3 setting. Now I know what it means when people say there is not much blade feel with their razors. I feel plenty of blade with the other razors. The Futur is probably the most blade feel out of them all.

The end result was a bbs on the cheeks and a dfs on the chin area.

Note that this is the first time using this so maybe a different blade would feel more agressive. I am deffinetly going to use this razor again with a different blade to see if I get a differnet result. Will it climb up the charts? Stay tuned.

I would love to hear your experience with this razor. And if you have tips on how to use a boar brush, I would love to hear it too.

I am sorry to hear that this razor, did not live up to the standards required, for a good shave. I know this was my experience with my Feather AS-D2, a nice razor and all, but too mild for my course whiskers, and has trouble with 2-day stubble.

There is most certainly blade feel from the Rex Ambassador when you put the blade on aggression level 3! So, if you put that Rockwell on level 4, and still don't feel the blade, something's not right. Have you looked at the blade gap, while adjusting the levels up or down?

I am wondering if you can see the blade gap opening and closing as you are adjusting the knob? Because if you don't see it moving, then the razor is defective. But if it is moving, maybe this razor needs to be turned up to its highest number?

The razor did shave. No issue there. There was just more effort on having to shave since I barely felt any blade feel during the shave. I started on a setting of 3 on the first pass, then increased it to 4. I still did not feel too much. I have not set it to the higher number, but I will start with that when I shave again with this razor.

I don't think the Astra blade is doing any favors when used in this razor. I will also try a feather blade and see how it goes with that blade razor combo.

I checked for the blade being even, that the razor did adjust when turning the dial. The blade feels solid while in the razor. Again, no issues with the blade or the razor. The razor looks and feels quite solid. Just blade feel felt lacking. My Futur really does spoil me. And having the Rex Ambassador and the Edwin Jaggar 316 does not help things out when comparing the T2 to these razors. It's been a long time since I used the Feather AS-D2. IF I were to guess, I believe the Feather would feel aggressive compared to the T2. But the Feather is a mild razor which is why it did not see much action and why I sold it off years back.

Stay tuned for the next shave.

Try putting in the Feather blade and go to a mid setting. My first couple shaves with my Lupo DE which is aluminum was mild even though it's a supposedly medium mild razor. I like the Bic blades generally but the Feather is the clear winner on that razor. Now it's a beast shaving!
I think that blade choice is a big factor on different razors whether they're mild or agressive. Part of the experimentation!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Try putting in the Feather blade and go to a mid setting. My first couple shaves with my Lupo DE which is aluminum was mild even though it's a supposedly medium mild razor. I like the Bic blades generally but the Feather is the clear winner on that razor. Now it's a beast shaving!
I think that blade choice is a big factor on different razors whether they're mild or agressive. Part of the experimentation!

This is true! Razors act differently, depending on what blade that is in them. This is why its a good idea to buy many different brand of blades. I realized that 150 blades is probably not going to quite last me an entire year, so next month, I am going to buy me a 100 pack of Kai blades next.

This is true! Razors act differently, depending on what blade that is in them. This is why its a good idea to buy many different brand of blades. I realized that 150 blades is probably not going to quite last me an entire year, so next month, I am going to buy me a 100 pack of Kai blades next.
Exactly!
And as cheap as they are, you might as well try them all in every razor owned. I think blades are the cheapest part of the hobby!

Top Bottom