What's new

Rockwell Reveal

You make a good point. Wear points, if it has them, would be a problem. The plating condition overall would play a factor as well. If it wasn't plated evenly, one imperfection could let water in. I believe that once that happens, if it happens, it will deteriorate. Just my opinion, of course.

I share your concerns about the T-bar being Zamac as well. I just hope that the designers were cognizant of these issues and their design considered where Zamac was used. It would be interesting to see if there have been any recorded instances of T-bar failure due to water corrosion.

It's a shame, the adjustment dial portion of the show looks cheap in both versions and kinda ruins what otherwise looks handsome enough. Mine is being "held at Post Office at Customer Request" for god knows what reason.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

I guess I'm not seeing that, it just looks a lot like my Slim's dial and I rather like it, but I haven't seen one up close so I can't make an accurate assesment.

I guess I'm not seeing that, it just looks a lot like my Slim's dial and I rather like it, but I haven't seen one up close so I can't make an accurate assesment.
No the dial on the Slim is of similar , complementary texture as the head, not contrasty as the Rockwell, the numbers have adequate spacing around them on the Slim while they look cramped on the Rockwell, and the top dial thing on the Rockwell, particluarly cramping the numbers at bottom and close to the plate, makes it look too busy. Design is subective but to me it looks like somebody didn't much care. Or perhaps there was a lot of back and forth and we just have different aesthetic outlooks.

Last edited:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I share your concerns about the T-bar being Zamac as well. I just hope that the designers were cognizant of these issues and their design considered where Zamac was used. It would be interesting to see if there have been any recorded instances of T-bar failure due to water corrosion.
If you hear of anything, let us know. I've always been a believer if you keep your razors in good order, they will last. Even if those razors are zamak. Keep them clean of soap and keep them dry. After seeing many Gillette adjustable's insides, I wonder if they will get gummed up the same way. Still it may come down to what we already know: A big part of things lasting is how they are cared for.

No the dial on the Slim is of similar , complementary texture as the head, not contrasty as the Rockwell, the numbers have adequate spacing around them on the Slim while they look cramped on the Rockwell, and the top dial thing on the Rockwell, particluarly craming the numbers at bottom and close to the plate, makes it look too busy. Design is subective but to me it looks like somebody didn't much care. Or perhaps there was a lot of back and forth and we just have different aesthetic outlooks.

Ok, I see what you mean now.

If you hear of anything, let us know. I've always been a believer if you keep your razors in good order, they will last. Even if those razors are zamak. Keep them clean of soap and keep them dry. After seeing many Gillette adjustable's insides, I wonder if they will get gummed up the same way. Still it may come down to what we already know: A big part of things lasting is how they are cared for.

I'm cringing at thinking about what my Slim looks like inside lol.

Out of curiosity, any failures of the first T models documented yet?
The very first runs of the Model T had a two piece T-bar and there were a number of documented failures of this design, some of which happened in short order. This prompted Rockwell to re-spec the T-bar to a one piece design (but still zamac) and occasioned yet another delay in production. I haven't heard of any of the one-piece design failing, after about two years on the market; so far so good.
The use of cheap materials is only in order to maximize profits for Rockwell surely?
Partly, but mostly this has to do with finding a reliable overseas (read: China) manufacturer to produce the components. The technology to cast and machine zamac to relatively fine tolerances is far less sophisticated than for brass or stainless, so finding a supplier in China for zamac parts is much easier. A major issue that plagued the Model T from the start is the Rockwell team's inexperience with manufacturing, and dealing with overseas manufacturers in particular. The many fits and starts and back-to-the-drawing-board hiccups that characterized the Model T crowdfunding campaign were mostly, IMO, the result of this inexperience. That is a primary reason it took nearly four years to bring the Model T to market, despite very robust (nearly $600K) start-up funding.

The materials issues aside, I agree with @GlazedBoker , the Model T is an outstanding shaver, one of the best in my den. The manufacturing may be iffy, but Rockwell definitely nailed the design in terms of shaving geometry.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Soap and water don't tend to bother chrome so this isn't a problem unless the chroming is subject to wear. Is there is some reason to believe that the chrome can be worn down or compromised? Do we know enough about the design to determine if the T-bar is subject to mechanical wear?

I can't find a reason to defend zamak T-BAR.
There are already many modern TTO adj razors that also using brass T-BAR, and offer a lower price, the appearance is also very beautiful-such as Vikings Blade Emperor (with zamak base plate ).

Since a large number of time-proven materials can be used, why not.
The extra money consumed is because Rockwell is not familiar with manufacturing, so it reduces the choice of materials.
Don't forget that it is a $150 razor, not a $30 Merkur 23c.

In addition to rot, this kind of thing will happen when using this inelastic brittle metal in the small joints↓
https://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/comments/ba4pbz

Last edited:
The very first runs of the Model T had a two piece T-bar and there were a number of documented failures of this design, some of which happened in short order. This prompted Rockwell to re-spec the T-bar to a one piece design (but still zamac) and occasioned yet another delay in production. I haven't heard of any of the one-piece design failing, after about two years on the market; so far so good.

Partly, but mostly this has to do with finding a reliable overseas (read: China) manufacturer to produce the components. The technology to cast and machine zamac to relatively fine tolerances is far less sophisticated than for brass or stainless, so finding a supplier in China for zamac parts is much easier. A major issue that plagued the Model T from the start is the Rockwell team's inexperience with manufacturing, and dealing with overseas manufacturers in particular. The many fits and starts and back-to-the-drawing-board hiccups that characterized the Model T crowdfunding campaign were mostly, IMO, the result of this inexperience. That is a primary reason it took nearly four years to bring the Model T to market, despite very robust (nearly $600K) start-up funding.

The materials issues aside, I agree with @GlazedBoker , the Model T is an outstanding shaver, one of the best in my den. The manufacturing may be iffy, but Rockwell definitely nailed the design in terms of shaving geometry.

I remember that they had a lot of issues with both of their razors at the start. They really did a good job overcoming these and gaining a solid reputation for the 6S.

I can't find a reason to defend zamak T-BAR.
There are already many modern TTO adj razors that also using brass T-BAR, and offer a lower price, the appearance is also very beautiful-such as Vikings Blade Emperor (with zamak base plate ).

Since a large number of time-proven materials can be used, why not.
The extra money consumed is because Rockwell is not familiar with manufacturing, so it reduces the choice of materials.
Don't forget that it is a $150 razor, not a $30 Merkur 23c.

In addition to rot, this kind of thing will happen when using this inelastic brittle metal in the small joints↓
https://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/comments/ba4pbz

I certainly understand your concern with Zamac, I'm not defending it so much as trying to figure out if the design decision was solid to go with the Zamac or if they really ought to have gone with brass for the T-bar.

Wow, catastrophic failure, but that doesn't seem like an issue with Zamac corrosion but it seems like it was an issue with the production of that particular razor. The pin for the door seems to have snapped off after the first shave so there was something inherently wrong with it.

I was a backer on the first one .... as the updates were slow and materials changed from SS to Zamac I bailed and opted for a refund.... I did not have high hopes for the T2 and on arrival Rockwell did not disappoint. The quality control is still terrible ... both doors have what looked to be pits and the plating was just placed over the pits then kind of buffed/ smoothed out??.... oh well buyer beware, its not terrible just poor quality control. Keep in mind this picture was right out of the box brand new.
Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 5.20.55 PM.png

Last edited:
First shave and it was a very satisfying one. No issues with the butterfly doors, blade tray, adjustment knob nor the finish. Same 3 pass shave starting on 5 from the get and finished on 2.75 on the last pass. BBS finish minus a spot right under the chin that I seemed to have missed. No chatter or skipping (one days worth of stubble only) and just smooth strokes from burns to the bottom of the Adam’s Apple. Blade exposure was even and equally distributed on both sides of the T2. Nothing broke off even on the clean, rinse and wipe down of the razor. It performed well and shaved just as good.

A few more shaves and we’ll see then but, I don’t expect any catastrophic failure from the razor unless I retract back to Cro magnon Man or Neanderthal Homo sapiens and just ham fist the razor carelessly…. :whistling:

1B076E97-8317-41E2-A81C-3986E8058542.jpeg

It's a shame, the adjustment dial portion of the show looks cheap in both versions and kinda ruins what otherwise looks handsome enough. Mine is being "held at Post Office at Customer Request" for god knows what reason.

Being held due to zamack contamination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was initially very interested in the Rockwell model T. Once they changed and spec'd zamak parts I was out. To me zamak is fine on cheap razors. But not on razors costing $30 or more. I've had 2 fail on me and just really want no part of a razor made from a material that it's integrity depends on a thin plating. Not when there are so many better choices for the same price or a little more.

I had been considering a Model T for a while prior to the T2. I use a 6S daily and think it's one of the smoothest Razors I own along with my Timeless SS 68. When the T2 was announced and I saw it was $20 off I figured to give it a shot. Ordered a gunmetal chrome one and it arrived today. The finish on the cap doors was flawless. I think it's pretty good looking overall. TTO is really smooth but a bit stiff to turn and slow, takes a lot of turns to open the doors. Adjustment ring is also a bit stiff to turn but stays where you put it, so I guess that's good.

The first shave was pretty good. I had shaved very late afternoon yesterday so didn't have too much growth to speak of. I normally use plate 4 most days on the 6S, but decided to try position 2.

It was a smooth shave but some weepers and some minor razor irritation. It had more aggressive/blade feel at R2 than the 6S with R2 plate. With plate 2 on the 6S I get zero blood and no irritation at all. I probably need to get used to it.

Also there was a lot more feedback than any razor I own. It did remind me more of shaving with the Gillette Slim or Super speed though kind of felt like position 4 on the slim at 2 on the Model T2. I am going to try each plate on the 6S with the T2 positions to see how they compare.

Sorry to say that I’m sending mine back. I really wanted to love this second edition, but for me, it’s no bueno.

I’d been one of the original kickstarter investors on the first Model T. Other than most, I was fortunate enough to get mine early.

First Model T had issues and they quickly replaced it and let me keep the flawed one as well. I felt kind of bad since many investors were still waiting for theirs and no I had two Model T’s.

Several weeks later, another Rockwell Model T arrived!!! I sold all three, the flawed one at a super discount with full disclosure.

I find my 6S to be the bomb-diggidy!!! It would be my desert island razor above and beyond my others in a collection of 50+. I was counting on the T2 to be as well engineered. No dice. No diggidy.

In the end, I find there’s too much blade chatter and blade “feel”. While my final shave with it yesterday was efficient and BBS, it was far from comfortable.

Sadly disappointed. YMMV, though!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom