What's new

Rockwell Reveal

I jumped on the KS Campaign when they first released the Model T. Growing pains, product and parts incompatibility issues, time delays and through it all, they finally delivered a product. Perhaps not the finest made with the quality & exotic components that some of us (myself included) have become accustomed too. Some of those products are lower, equally, better and in most instances much higher priced. Honestly, I have no issue with any of it. I’ve purchased bargain bin to world class, first rate produced jewel like razors. I begrudge NO ONE on trying to make a $ in this world. No one is holding a gun to anyone of our heads to make a purchase, whether sensible or not, lowest of quality to cream of the crop masterpieces. Your choice, plain & simple.

I’ve owned the OG Model T for over a year and I have not a bad thing to say about it’s performance, make up, quality of that make up and the short term durability it has shown until now. I actually prefer it to over the well received and much more admired Big Brother, the 6S. I find the Model T to be smoother, more efficient with a slight boost in blade feel throughout it’s adjustable range, easier to handle & maneuver. In my experience, shave wise it’s the better shaver than the 6S hands down. For the price that I purchased it for $99 it has been well worth it. At retail, I would really have to think about it long & hard. But, if you can acquire one for under the century mark such as what I did as a previous backer for $79, to keep a razor maker in the game and make some coin, I don‘t have a single issue of negative thoughts about it. Again, this is just me and me alone. There are always going to be those that will heap crap upon more crap on everything from Budget Joe products to Hollywood Hilton Big Mac high dollar creations. It’s the name of the game.

Just don’t crap on it until you try it. My $.02 worth on this useless debate of whether it’s worth it or not to be quite truthful. To each their own, live and let live….

By the way, should be in my hands by Monday. Looking forward to trying it out….

Competition and variety are always good in razor world - there's always the Flexi if you crave brass, or the Progress with the dreaded Zamak, or even a vintage Gillette for cheaper adjustables, but not quite the polish or design that the Rockwell seems to have. Have only shaved with the Progress and it's pretty good, and the new Rockwell seems not to be orders of magnitude different than version 1, but nice to have choices.

Competition and variety are always good in razor world - there's always the Flexi if you crave brass, or the Progress with the dreaded Zamak, or even a vintage Gillette for cheaper adjustables, but not quite the polish or design that the Rockwell seems to have. Have only shaved with the Progress and it's pretty good, and the new Rockwell seems not to be orders of magnitude different than version 1, but nice to have choices.

Agreed. I own a couple zamak razors from Merkur (Progress, Mergress & couple Futur's) and they work, look flawlessly.

The key is quite simple, take care of your tools & they will take care of you. Not everyone employs that simple addict.

Happy shaves..... :shaving:

Agreed. I own a couple zamak razors from Merkur (Progress, Mergress & couple Futur's) and they work, look flawlessly.

The key is quite simple, take care of your tools & they will take care of you. Not everyone employs that simple addict.

Happy shaves..... :shaving:

It also depends on where they use the Zamac vs brass and steel. By the looks of it, they aren't using the Zamac on any moving parts, those are likely brass. The main issue most seem to have with Zamac is when the screw is Zamac it will eventually break off. I have a Gillette ball Tech that's older than me and has a Zamac head, but the parts that are under stress are brass. It should last pretty much forever as long as I don't chip the chrome on the head.

Setting aside whether the butterfly design is worth the time and effort in reproducing, I'm sympathetic to the issues faced by Rockwell, recalling all that was done in the first iteration to use brass where it was financially feasible. Per the above I have no issues with the use of Zamak per se as long as it's properly done.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

I find the Zamac FUDs on this forum a bit excessive tbh. One of my favorite razors is the trustworthy Merkur 34C.

I believe the handle and twist knob are both brass, head is zamak. Its chrome coated. I got mine from my grandfather when he started using cartridges a few years back. I believe this razor is at least 15 years old by now. But it looks brand new. Shiny in mint condition, not a scratch!

I have dropped it several times; in my sink, on my bathroom floor. The coating is still intact, the threads are fine. My bathroom floor, not so much.

Will I be able to pass it on to my unborn grandson in 50 years? Probably not. But my Fat Handle Tech (also a gift from my grandfather) is a better candidate for that.

Not every razor needs to be a collectible. Don't let the fear of Zamak keep you from the shaves you deserve!

Last edited:
I find the Zamac FUDs on this forum a bit excessive tbh. One of my favorite razors is the trustworthy Merkur 34C.

I believe the handle and twist knob are both brass, head is zamak. Its chrome coated. I got mine from my grandfather when he started using cartridges a few years back. I believe this razor is at least 15 years old by now. But it looks brand new. Shiny in mint condition, not a scratch!

I have dropped it several times; in my sink, on my bathroom floor. The coating is still intact, the threads are fine. My bathroom floor, not so much.

Will I be able to pass it on to my unborn grandson in 50 years? Probably not. But my Fat Handle Tech (also a gift from my grandfather) is a better candidate for that.

Not every razor needs to be a collectible. Don't let the fear of Zamak keep you from the shaves you deserve!
Feel the same about my 40 year old Progress.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets

The trouble is that Rockwell has admitted that the "T-bar" of model T/T2 is made by zamak.
The T-bar is a key part that bears the pressure of the TTO mechanism, and has to bear the most mechanical movement and slender structure. Most people will definitely hope that the T-bar is made of stronger materials.

If zamak is only for non-critical components such as the dial, then naturally there is no need to worry, but unfortunately it is not the case.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, any failures of the first T models documented yet? That might provide a couple of years of data. Obviously stainless steel or brass has the potential to last longer and be more durable than a zinc alloy, but if you can get 10 years of service out of a T, that's $13 annually expensed at the current price for some pretty good shaves, by report. If I last that long (over the 80 mark then), I will have spent 3x that annually on my incoming Muramasa, and I can't say right now that my shaves will be 3x better (although I eagerly await the experiment, both shaving with the Muramasa and exceeding 80). I'm confident my Timeless Ti will outlast me by centuries, but equally confident that somewhere in that period I will cease to care. :001_smile

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, any failures of the first T models documented yet? That might provide a couple of years of data. Obviously stainless steel or brass has the potential to last longer and be more durable than a zinc alloy, but if you can get 10 years of service out of a T, that's $13 annually expensed at the current price for some pretty good shaves, by report. If I last that long (over the 80 mark then), I will have spent 3x that annually on my incoming Muramasa, and I can't say right now that my shaves will be 3x better (although I eagerly await the experiment, both shaving with the Muramasa and exceeding 80). I'm confident my Timeless Ti will outlast me by centuries, but equally confident that somewhere in that period I will cease to care. :001_smile

I'm curious to see if there are any failures of the T-bar as well. Zamac is not an inherently weak material, it's just vulnerable to water and soap if exposed. It was used for years by car manufacturers for door handles so it's not an issue of integrity but whether water and lather can touch the bare metal. The problem with Zamac screws isn't so much of initial strength but that coatings will eventually wear and water will penetrate and corrode it. If the T-bar is not exposed to wear then it shouldn't fail under normal conditions, including being dropped into a sink.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Regarding iconic razors designed to last a lifetime, the general consensus within B&B is that their construction is limited to solid stainless steel, titanium or brass. That's my experience, too. Dad's 1966 Gillette Slim looks as good as new, now resting on his grandson's bathroom sink where it is lovingly used daily.

Over my lifetime, I've come to appreciate quality over quantity. Full-grain leather over top-grain or split-grain, or heaven forbid, bonded. Honda over Mitsubishi. Mont Blanc over Bic. Lavazza over Folger's. Kerrygold Dubliner over Kraft American singles.

Again, over a lifetime, I've sadly watched companies fall from grace. Generally that fall is precipitated by a fundamental shift in demand (e.g., Yellow Pages, Block Buster, Tower Records), failure to innovate (e.g., Blackberry, Ask Jeeves, Kodak) or diminished customer service (e.g. FedEx, Lands' End after acquired by Sears). Most die off (shedding a tear for beloved SAAB). But a others rise to the occasion and reinvent themselves (e.g., Apple, Lands' End after being spun off by Sears).

In this light, no matter what I think of Rockwell's effort with their new TTO, my sincere hope is that this company that makes my alltime favorite razor - the 6S - continues to strive to understand market demand, innovate, and to continue offering exemplary customer service.

Where the Zamak is incorporated will make a huge difference in longevity. If it's not in an area likely exposed to wear/damage it's really not a big deal.

From what Rockwell posted the doors on the razor are chromed zinc alloy.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
The trouble is that Rockwell has admitted that the "T-bar" of model T/T2 is made by zamak.
The T-bar is a key part that bears the pressure of the TTO mechanism, and has to bear the most mechanical movement and slender structure. Most people will definitely hope that the T-bar is made of stronger materials.

If zamak is only for non-critical components such as the dial, then naturally there is no need to worry, but unfortunately it is not the case.
I agree. The Tbar is gonna see a lot of soap and water residue if it can get into the razor handle.

I agree. The Tbar is gonna see a lot of soap and water residue if it can get into the razor handle.

Soap and water don't tend to bother chrome so this isn't a problem unless the chroming is subject to wear. Is there is some reason to believe that the chrome can be worn down or compromised? Do we know enough about the design to determine if the T-bar is subject to mechanical wear?

Last edited:
If Rockwell made the Zamac bits from brass (cast, stamped, machined, etc) how much dearer would those parts be?
Compared to Zamac...twice the price? Three times? That doesn't make the whole razor double or treble in price though.
This price increase doesn't hit Rockwell in the back pocket as the price is passed on to the consumer (well, it does hit Rockwell in the back pocket but only while the razor is in inventory. Once sold Rockwell reap their reward...profit).
The use of better materials would surely make the razor more attractive to more buyers?
The use of cheap materials is only in order to maximize profits for Rockwell surely?
I think Rockwell have a good razor...but...'nice legs, shame about the face' sort of thing.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Soap and water don't tend to bother chrome so this isn't a problem unless the chroming is subject to wear. Is there is some reason to believe that the chrome can be worn down or compromised? Do we know enough about the design to determine if the T-bar is subject to mechanical wear?
You make a good point. Wear points, if it has them, would be a problem. The plating condition overall would play a factor as well. If it wasn't plated evenly, one imperfection could let water in. I believe that once that happens, if it happens, it will deteriorate. Just my opinion, of course.

Was on the coffee table when I came in. A few pics of the T2 & then a few pics alongside the T1 for some comparison. The T1 is in the White Chrome finish, T2 obviously in the Gunmetal Chrome finish. My pics aren’t that great but, an IPhone is all I have. Hopefully someone can contribute better quality shots to show where Rockwell made the components a bit beefier from 1 to 2….

30585C13-1C07-4923-81C9-8FDA42F61218.jpeg

969F6BDF-4451-4A43-8068-6AB42C0D60EF.jpeg

EE88160C-C3AE-4608-BBBC-B7A673EAA258.jpeg

94747B54-CB8F-458F-9B6B-80CC3C617DA6.jpeg

6F5B16FC-F48B-4094-A94B-5593EA007A9E.jpeg

C1F3E241-D9C7-4C58-87B1-ED3B1DD06750.jpeg

It's a shame, the adjustment dial portion of the show looks cheap in both versions and kinda ruins what otherwise looks handsome enough. Mine is being "held at Post Office at Customer Request" for god knows what reason.

Top Bottom