What's new

Rockwell Reveal

I guess I'm a little confused about the email reveal then (I paraphrase) - "Coming soon! The new T2! Exactly like the old one!" Ummmm....

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0287/7154/files/UPDATED_psd-01_1.jpg?v=1623875533

Note that the T2 diagram 'sort of' makes you think that the silo doors are now brass. That wee line and the 'circled' bit sure gives the impression they are referring to brass doors.
But nope...doors are still Zamac.

That would be more than sort of - "chromed brass externals" means everything on the outside of the razor. Hence the confusion about the big reveal. Whatever is rolling out sounds now exactly like the last iteration, except perhaps now they have some.

I jumped on the black chrome at the $79 discount. I will be comparing it to my classic TTOs. If I don't like I'll just flip it 🤷‍♂️.

Forgive my ignorance but what is the deal with Zamac?

I jumped on the black chrome at the $79 discount. I will be comparing it to my classic TTOs. If I don't like I'll just flip it 🤷‍♂️.

Forgive my ignorance but what is the deal with Zamac?

Zamac, often called pot metal here, is a zinc compound that is heavy and relatively inexpensive so used in many razors to keep the cost down. The issue that most have with it is that it must be chrome coated and if that chrome coating is compromised it will quickly deteriorate and basically crumble within a short time after being exposed to water and lather. Zamac razors generally last a fairly long time, but you won't see many old ones around for sale because they don't have the durability of razors made from better metals like brass and steel.

Last edited:
1623981346651.png

Is this what I am thinking about? A new kind of adjustable razor. What I imagine is it will tilt the both part of top cap up or down according to adjustment, that will change its blade gap, blade angle and blade exposure. If that's the case, I wonder how it ensures the blade is clamped to the plate rigidly, maybe inner part of the plate tilt together with the cap.

If they achieved this, it is another revolution in adjustable razor after Tatara Muramasa. It might be more dynamic.

Anyone agree with my thought? Or what are yours?

Edit: Oh, I see someone mentioning about butterfly door, it might be right. I went crazy with my imagination. But if anyone made what I imagine, it is a true revolution *wink.

Last edited:
Zamac, often called pot metal here, is a zinc compound that is heavy and relatively inexpensive so used in many razors to keep the cost down. The issue that most have with it is that it must be chrome coated and if that chrome coating is compromised it will quickly deteriorate and basically crumble within a short time after being exposed to water and lather. Zamac razors generally last a fairly long time, but you won't see many old ones around for sale because they don't have the durability of razors made from better metals like brass and steel.

That sounds about right, nothing is made to last these days. I'm good with it though. Maybe if it gets enough love they will make a brass or steel version.

That sounds about right, nothing is made to last these days. I'm good with it though. Maybe if it gets enough love they will make a brass or steel version.

There are a lot of razors that will outlive our grandchildren, but Zamac razors aren't likely to be among those. However, they are also much less expensive and will still last thousands of shaves when taken care of properly. It all depends on your personal cost-benefit calculations if you want to purchase a Zamac razor or something made from more durable metal. It's good to have a choice!

That would be more than sort of - "chromed brass externals" means everything on the outside of the razor. Hence the confusion about the big reveal. Whatever is rolling out sounds now exactly like the last iteration, except perhaps now they have some.
I agree, the T2 diagram is definitely misleading, but then Rockwell has been known to play a little fast and loose with their marketing representations. I also agree that the T2 looks to be simply the original Model T with a few minor tweaks; namely fixing the T-bar and uneven door problems. This "reveal" looks like an effort to generate some new buzz for the Model T, which by all indications has not been a brisk seller for Rockwell.

There are a lot of razors that will outlive our grandchildren, but Zamac razors aren't likely to be among those. However, they are also much less expensive and will still last thousands of shaves when taken care of properly. It all depends on your personal cost-benefit calculations if you want to purchase a Zamac razor or something made from more durable metal. It's good to have a choice!

Well yeah, you know what I mean, next to everything has designed obsolescence these days. Of course, there are razors that will outlast all of our lifetimes I own a couple. So basically I would have to dry off after every use and I shouldn't have any problems with the plating eroding?

Well yeah, you know what I mean, next to everything has designed obsolescence these days. Of course, there are razors that will outlast all of our lifetimes I own a couple. So basically I would have to dry off after every use and I shouldn't have any problems with the plating eroding?
Where the Zamak is incorporated will make a huge difference in longevity. If it's not in an area likely exposed to wear/damage it's really not a big deal.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

It's more likely the chrome will be damaged from a fall or something striking it. Also, if you are using one with a Zamac screw that's most likely where the problem will eventually be. Normal use will eventually wear down the chrome plating especially if you are using a harder handle like stainless steel. If you over tighten it that will also place additional stress on the screw. I've seen a few pics here posted by people who have snaped the screws off in the head while tightening, or from a drop. The better Zamac razors will have a brass screw, I believe the R41 is one of those. Using a brass screw will help increase the life of the razor.

Agreed. I believe I read chromed brass, but that may not be all pieces. They end by saying “currently available in 3 finishes.” I wonder if a solid stainless T2 is on the horizon?

And BTW, ”WOW!” Glad to see my favorite razor’s maker raising the bar.
If I designed a fully adjustable TTO razor in chrome plated brass, I would certainly brag about it since that has not been seen since the old Gillettes. I hope that they do bring it in stainless, or perhaps in chrome plated brass, but I think that last line is more likely to be about different coatings rather than material.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
If I designed a fully adjustable TTO razor in chrome plated brass, I would certainly brag about it since that has not been seen since the old Gillettes. I hope that they do bring it in stainless, or perhaps in chrome plated brass, but I think that last line is more likely to be about different coatings rather than material.
The more I read, the more I realize someone(s) at Rockwell settled. The 6s is legendary. Everything else they offer is “meh” (especially their blades). It’s frustrating because they were soooo close. All that was needed was someone to champion the cause, and have said, “Nope, just make it all stainless like the 6s.”

The upside is there are so many really good new razors on the market, and more on the way. It’s a great time for safety razor aficionados.

At $79 Zamac is acceptable. The Progress is Zamac. At $150 it's a shame. How much more could it have been to do it right?

The more I read, the more I realize someone(s) at Rockwell settled. The 6s is legendary. Everything else they offer is “meh” (especially their blades). It’s frustrating because they were soooo close. All that was needed was someone to champion the cause, and have said, “Nope, just make it all stainless like the 6s.”

The upside is there are so many really good new razors on the market, and more on the way. It’s a great time for safety razor aficionados.
And a terrible time for my wallet[emoji28]

Fayiz D.

Top Bottom