What's new

Rockwell Razors (6S/6C): A Three Year Follow-up Review...

Hello Gents,

I’ve been using the Rockwell 6S as my main razor for over 3 years now so thought I’d post a follow-up on my original reviews.

Here is my original 6S review:

Rockwell Razor Club

My 6S and 6C review:

Rockwell 6S(stainless) and the 6C (chrome)

The 6C is my permanent travel kit razor. We don’t travel very often however, when we do travel, it’s usually long stays at relatives homes so I definitely need to take my best gear with me, not just something to get me by because in one stretch, we could be away from home for 2+ months!

The 6S stays safely at home but the 6C gives me basically the same shave in terms of comfort and closeness.

I have been traditional wetshaving for a decade now and since I got the Rockwell 6S, it has been my favourite razor or all time. I did get the brass Karve razor which is also wonderful but the Rockwell is still my favourite razor, mainly due to the cutting angle and the heavy head, which allows me to complete my 3.5 passes with fewer strokes and maximum comfort.

The matte bead-blasted look is still my favourite. I really like matte finish items (not just razors) and this fits the bill perfectly. The balance of the razor is fantastic despite the heavy head. The balance point is also at a very comfortable position on the handle and this allows me to hold the razor with comfort.

I generally use mine on the 6 plate and I always get a close, comfortable shave. The 5 plate is also excellent if I want a slightly milder shave. On the 6C however, I use only plate 6 because it is slightly lighter than the 6S so I tend to find the 6C requires one plate above the 6S to get the same result. Both razors shave very comfortably!

Value for money can’t be beat! The 6C for $50 and the 6S for $100 are a couple of the best deals in the traditional shaving market right now! I always recommend the 6C to newbies because it gives the flexibility to find the correct setting without having to purchase multiple razors.

I wish I had this option when I started out ten years ago! I always read go for mild razors as a newbie and they either gave me a horrible shave or I applied pressure to get a closer shave. I have heavy growth so the often recommended tech, 34C, DE89 razors were completely unsuitable for me. It wasn’t until I got a Merkur Progress that I experienced what so many gushed about in regards to the results of using a DE razor.

I will continue to use my Rockwell razors and look forward to what they have to offer in the future.

You can also check out my Model T review here: A Review Of The Rockwell Model T

I purposefully didn’t discuss it here as it is a totally different style of razor and I wanted to concentrate on the 6S/6C.

The Rockwell Brothers chilling out:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Graz review! The 6S is still a benchmark in my den and I have or have had many of the high-end razors.
I also happen to like the looks of the Rockwell.

2/3 of my razors are Rockwell. Started with the 2C and finally bought the 6S :) Hope they release more plates in the future. Would love an OC.

Hello Gents,

I’ve been using the Rockwell 6S as my main razor for over 3 years now so thought I’d post a follow-up on my original reviews.

Here is my original 6S review:

Rockwell Razor Club

My 6S and 6C review:

Rockwell 6S(stainless) and the 6C (chrome)

The 6C is my permanent travel kit razor. We don’t travel very often however, when we do travel, it’s usually long stays at relatives homes so I definitely need to take my best gear with me, not just something to get me by because in one stretch, we could be away from home for 2+ months!

The 6S stays safely at home but the 6C gives me basically the same shave in terms of comfort and closeness.

I have been traditional wetshaving for a decade now and since I got the Rockwell 6S, it has been my favourite razor or all time. I did get the brass Karve razor which is also wonderful but the Rockwell is still my favourite razor, mainly due to the cutting angle and the heavy head, which allows me to complete my 3.5 passes with fewer strokes and maximum comfort.

The matte bead-blasted look is still my favourite. I really like matte finish items (not just razors) and this fits the bill perfectly. The balance of the razor is fantastic despite the heavy head. The balance point is also at a very comfortable position on the handle and this allows me to hold the razor with comfort.

I generally use mine on the 6 plate and I always get a close, comfortable shave. The 5 plate is also excellent if I want a slightly milder shave. On the 6C however, I use only plate 6 because it is slightly lighter than the 6S so I tend to find the 6C requires one plate above the 6S to get the same result. Both razors shave very comfortably!

Value for money can’t be beat! The 6C for $50 and the 6S for $100 are a couple of the best deals in the traditional shaving market right now! I always recommend the 6C to newbies because it gives the flexibility to find the correct setting without having to purchase multiple razors.

I wish I had this option when I started out ten years ago! I always read go for mild razors as a newbie and they either gave me a horrible shave or I applied pressure to get a closer shave. I have heavy growth so the often recommended tech, 34C, DE89 razors were completely unsuitable for me. It wasn’t until I got a Merkur Progress that I experienced what so many gushed about in regards to the results of using a DE razor.

I will continue to use my Rockwell razors and look forward to what they have to offer in the future.

You can also check out my Model T review here: A Review Of The Rockwell Model T

I purposefully didn’t discuss it here as it is a totally different style of razor and I wanted to concentrate on the 6S/6C.

The Rockwell Brothers chilling out:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice review.. I loved my 6C when I bought it and was #1 in my den untill I got my timeless, r41 and RR jaws

Havnt used it for quite a while, might need to pull it out and have another go with it

I do not own a 6S, but the 6C is a favorite. Plate 5 for me. I also took the Model T ride, and that's one heckuva razor.

Graz review! The 6S is still a benchmark in my den and I have or have had many of the high-end razors.
I also happen to like the looks of the Rockwell.

Yah, it's definitely my gold standard razor. Every other razor gets compared to it and then I decide whether to keep the other razor or not.

2/3 of my razors are Rockwell. Started with the 2C and finally bought the 6S :) Hope they release more plates in the future. Would love an OC.

An OC would be a very interesting addition. As would single setting plates that have a slim profile.

My 6s is the only razor I really use now. I love the industrial look too.

I love the bead blasted, industrial look too!
The 6S and Karve are my at home razors and the 6C for travel.

Great comparison!! :a14::a14:

Conclusion: ‘Buy both!’

Thanks!
Haha yes, I'd recommend buy both when it comes to these two razors.

Thanks, excellent review, my experience has been very much the same.

Thank you!

Nice review.. I loved my 6C when I bought it and was #1 in my den untill I got my timeless, r41 and RR jaws

Havnt used it for quite a while, might need to pull it out and have another go with it

Thanks!!
The R41 was too harsh for my skin and OC razors I generally don't get along with unfortunately. The Karve D/OC is the only OC that has been relatively ok for my skin, but can't use it consecutively.

I do not own a 6S, but the 6C is a favorite. Plate 5 for me. I also took the Model T ride, and that's one heckuva razor.

The model T has been awesome too! I really enjoy mine.

Really nice review. I hadn't used my 6s much lately but I took it for a spin this last weekend. It's a really fine razor. Plate 4 works best for me. I still slightly prefer my game changer and feather as d2. But only very slightly.

I bought my 6S and Karve at virtually the same time. Loved the Karve so much I sold the 6S. But I missed it so I bought one used. Then it was sitting lonely and little used in it's place on my stand, and a new wet-shaver was looking for a step up in quality, so I sold it again. I regretted doing so the very next day so I bought a THIRD one. LOL

Nice write up! I don't know a lot of people that use a 6 plate on Rockwell razors. You must have a pretty heavy growth / tough skin. Have you tried a Gillette Old Type? It's one of the most efficient razors that I own and it probably fits your style very well.

Thanks!!
The R41 was too harsh for my skin and OC razors I generally don't get along with unfortunately. The Karve D/OC is the only OC that has been relatively ok for my skin, but can't use it consecutively.

Today i had a very satisfying shave with the R41 + feather..

as i said it has been a very long while since i shaved with the 6C and tomorrows shave is a good a time as any to give it another run.

I have loaded it with the feather from today so it will be on its second use, which for me is the best a feather gets.. Got plate 6 ready for tomorrows shave and really looking forward to it.

I’ve had mine for well over a year now, close to two. Easily one of my favorite razors, plate 5 has become my go to.

How is the threading holding up as a daily?

Really nice review. I hadn't used my 6s much lately but I took it for a spin this last weekend. It's a really fine razor. Plate 4 works best for me. I still slightly prefer my game changer and feather as d2. But only very slightly.

The plate 4 is about the efficiency of the GC84, or perhaps a "4.5" on the Rockwell.

I had the AS-D1 and it was too mild for me. I got a better shave from Rockwell R2 than I did with the Feather. But there are many other variables as we all know.

I bought my 6S and Karve at virtually the same time. Loved the Karve so much I sold the 6S. But I missed it so I bought one used. Then it was sitting lonely and little used in it's place on my stand, and a new wet-shaver was looking for a step up in quality, so I sold it again. I regretted doing so the very next day so I bought a THIRD one. LOL

Haha
Third times a charm :)

Nice write up! I don't know a lot of people that use a 6 plate on Rockwell razors. You must have a pretty heavy growth / tough skin. Have you tried a Gillette Old Type? It's one of the most efficient razors that I own and it probably fits your style very well.

Growth is tough but my skin is very sensitive and very prone to irritation no matter my technique (no change over the last decade of DE shaving).

This is the main reason I tend to like comfortable razors like the Rockwell, Karve, Progress.

I used a bunch of vintage razors and didn't like any one of them. They all irritated my skin for whatever reason. I haven't used a vintage for over 5 years now as I don't feel the need to put my skin through that again :)

Today i had a very satisfying shave with the R41 + feather..

as i said it has been a very long while since i shaved with the 6C and tomorrows shave is a good a time as any to give it another run.

I have loaded it with the feather from today so it will be on its second use, which for me is the best a feather gets.. Got plate 6 ready for tomorrows shave and really looking forward to it.

Nice! I'm going to pull out a feather and use it with the 4 plate as my skin already finds it tough to deal with a feather blade, although I love the efficiency of them!

I’ve had mine for well over a year now, close to two. Easily one of my favorite razors, plate 5 has become my go to.

How is the threading holding up as a daily?

On the 6S? No issue whatsoever!
I put a drop of silicon oil once a month on the thread l. Probably unnecessary but I do it anyway.

The 6C is also doing just fine. It gets used about 2 months out of the year, when we're traveling. No issues with threading, plating loss etc.

Great review, the 6C is my favorite DE, and the reason I just thinned my razors out. My go to setting is plate 4 with a Nacet blade. I really enjoy the shaves with this razor.

I may eventually pull the trigger in the 6S, but right now don’t feel the need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! I'm going to pull out a feather and use it with the 4 plate as my skin already finds it tough to deal with a feather blade, although I love the efficiency of them!

had a shave with the Rockwell this morning. 6C + plate 6 + feather (2)

very smooth and comfortable 3 pass shave, 2x WTG and 1x ATG resulted in very close to BBS that just fell short in the neck area which is always tricky to get to. I did like the smoothness of the shave and will be using the rockwell in between my more efficient razors when in need a bit of a break with a 'mild' razor

Top Bottom