What's new

Rockwell Razor Club

Which gives better shaves overall?

• Merkur Progress

• Rockwell 6s

Results are only viewable after voting.
So, I've wanted to try this razor for a while now and received mine about 10 days ago.

The packaging is totally awesome! I love the gift-style packaging.
I won't go into more detail about packaging. It's very nice and I'm impressed with the high quality packaging. We'll leave it at that.

Now, I'm aware of the fact that I don't spend much time posting in the safety razor forum so I thought I'd first share my experience with razors.
I'm not new to DE razors. I started DE shaving back in 2008.

My experience includes the following razors (not complete list):
- Many vintage razors excluding the very rare ones like Toggle, Single/Double ring etc. Some examples...blue tip, flare tip, red tip, aristocrat, fatboy, slim, super adjustable, NEW LC, NEW SC, slim twist, Schick Krona.

- Just about all the Schick Injectors excluding the tennis racket handle one and the Paul Revere LE.

- Six various GEM SE's.

- Modern razors include nearly the entire range from Merkur (open comb, 15C, 33C, HD, 38C, 37 slant, 39 slant, Bakelite, Progress, Futur), Muhle R89/Grande/Sophist/R41, a few from the Edwin Jagger line, Ikon 102 slant.

For the last 4 years, the Merkur Progress (I have 2 long handle and 1 short handle) has been my only razor. I've tried a few others in that time but none remained in my den because I'm not a collector and am utilitarian so if a razor can't match or better the Progress, it's out!!

The Rockwell 6S is a stainless steel razor. I particularly like the weight of it, weighing in at 114grams. It has a fantastic balance point at about two-thirds up the handle. The length of the handle is also great. Not too long and not too short.

Guess what...the 6S has firmly marked its spot in my den! It's here to stay!
I love that it's adjustable but with no moving parts...GENIUS!!!

I haven't bothered to try #1 and #2 settings. I've tried #3 - #6 and here is my feedback...

Plate #3 was smoooooth! The Ikon 102 Slant is the only other razor I've ever used which was this smooth.
This plate on the 6S gave a much closer shave (a nice DFS) than the 102 so this was already a massively great start for the 6S razor!

Plate #4 Smoothness is pretty much retained but a much closer shave! This is my daily setting and I get a BBS with full comfort every day! The Progress has taken a backseat for the moment. The shave from the 6S is just awesome and whilst the Progress isn't going anywhere, over the years I have found the Progress to be a very fragile razor and prone to the the moving parts becoming faulty and the razor goes off alignment so the Progress will no longer be my daily driver but more for a change-up.

Plate #5 provided a very close shave but 2 days in a row caused a bit of irritation on my neck. So this one will be reserved for those times where I may have multiple days of growth. There's no point moving up from #4 as the BBS from that plate, doesn't become extra-BBS with #5.

Plate #6 A no go for me. Neck irritation after just one shave. I'm one of those people that like a daily BBS so no point using #5 or #6 and not go for BBS due to irritation. I'd much rather stick with the #4 and get my daily comfortable BBS.

Overall, the Rockwell 6S is a massive success for me! After 4 years with the Progress, I never thought I'd find a razor that would match the shave and the comfort and actually replace the Progress as my daily driver.

It can also become a great travel razor using the Rockwell sheath.

I can't recommend the 6S highly enough. If you're on the fence about it, just grab it and you won't regret your decision!
The price is very, very competitive and in fact, is great value!

Thanks for the review. Pardon me if I'm dense. This razor is "adjustable" insofar as you can stop shaving, take it apart & reconfigure it? It isn't like the Merkur or Gillette just-click-and-adjust-as-you-go razors?

Thanks for the review. Pardon me if I'm dense. This razor is "adjustable" insofar as you can stop shaving, take it apart & reconfigure it? It isn't like the Merkur or Gillette just-click-and-adjust-as-you-go razors?

Yes, the razor can't be adjusted on the fly like an adjustable with moving parts. However it is still adjustable because it provides 6 different settings and you choose the one that suits you best. Plus with no moving parts, it'll last forever!

Thanks again. Its a handsome razor. I just went their website & saw that they have a click and adjust razor in production or at least in R and D right now. Enjoy your shaves!

I am enjoying mine too. It replaced an EJ DE 89 that has been my default daily razor for 4-5 years. I don't see this one leaving the default position for a long time.

I am enjoying mine too. It replaced an EJ DE 89 that has been my default daily razor for 4-5 years. I don't see this one leaving the default position for a long time.

Yeah, I don't see mine leaving my den. It's definitely a permanent and daily part of my shaves. The progress will make an appearance from time to time only for a change but the rockwell is the new daily driver cos a daily bbs with total comfort is ultimately the best shave which we all strive for right?

Where can you buy that razor? Thanks

Rockwellrazors.com

Thanks again. Its a handsome razor. I just went their website & saw that they have a click and adjust razor in production or at least in R and D right now. Enjoy your shaves!
It doesn't click, as it has no stops, but is adjustable on the fly. I only wonder if as it wears if it might get loose and therefore too easy for it to adjust inadvertently.

It doesn't click, as it has no stops, but is adjustable on the fly. I only wonder if as it wears if it might get loose and therefore too easy for it to adjust inadvertently.

There's only one way for the razor will loosen...and that's if it's not screwed together all the way. Rockwell says it's will last a long, long time, and I believe it!

There's only one way for the razor will loosen...and that's if it's not screwed together all the way. Rockwell says it's will last a long, long time, and I believe it!
They have provided excellent customer service with their first razor, I think there will probably be no issues. But over time metal will wear and the collar will loosen.

I have been shaving with it for over a week now. Once I used the Personna Med Prep blades instead of the Rockwell blades, the shaves got smoother. I use the 5 plate and it does a great job for me.

FINDING THE RIGHT PLATE
Above the Tie razors came up with an innovative system where you can vary the mildness or aggressiveness of a razor by changing metal plates. It was so innovative that Rockwell improved on it: with the 6S, the plates were “flippable,” giving you six different levels of adjustment. It's one of the biggest reasons I purchased the razor system.

$3_2.jpg

For me maybe the easiest way to use the six plates is serially, until you've tried all the adjustments. For this test, I use a new blade with each new plate (to make sure the results are consistent). I'm using the Gillette Silver Blue - if only because I'm very familiar with it. My shaving soap is Barrister & Mann, and I use Kyle’s prep method.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/9745-How-to-Pre-Shave-Prep

Plate #1:

1. The first word that comes to mind with this razor is “efficient.” With this plate, I mow down beard very easily, with zero tugging.
  2. At this level of mildness - no nicks or cuts. This plate is ideal if you want a quick, easy shave.
  3. I’m surprised that there’s absolutely no audio feedback; the razor must be keeping the blade very taut. (In other words, theres no razor “chatter.”) Compare that with the ATT razor, which has near-constant chatter while shaving.
  4. Plate #1 doesn’t shave all the beard on my neck; my mustache and chin aren’t as smooth as I’d like, either. Even additional strokes, but this plate is quite mild - but still very good for socially acceptable shaves. But not my pick for a super-close shave.

Using my Gillette Slim as reference, I’d judge the sensitivity level at about 1.5 of 9.

Top Bottom