What's new

Rockwell Razor Club

Which gives better shaves overall?

• Merkur Progress

• Rockwell 6s

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I’m surprised that there’s absolutely no audio feedback; the razor must be keeping the blade very taut. (In other words, theres no razor “chatter.”) Compare that with the ATT razor, which has near-constant chatter while shaving.
Excellent write-up! I'm really looking forward to the rest of your series.

To me, audio feedback is someting I wouldn't want to be without! I love the feedback I get from my ATT.

I had heard a few other fellows talk about chatter, and they were complaining about it. I though they were talking about something else entirely, like the blade slipping or something. I understand that you weren't complaining about chatter, or audio feedback, you were reporting your observations.

But these other fellows, if audio feedback was what they were complaining about, I'm afraid I have to say that they really need to re-evaluate how they're thinking. It's nothing to complain about, it's something to be desired!

I gave plate 3 another try today. Last time I tried it, it was ultra smooth but not quite as close as I like.

Today, I tried it again and this time, I took slightly slower strokes instead of my usual speed and got the closeness I like.

It'll take several more uses for me to decide which plate I want as my daily driver.

On another note, the 6S seems to make my blade last longer.

The Polsilver is the only blade which lasts me more than 3 shaves. In my progress, I get about 7 shaves.
Today was shave 11 on the 6S!! If this continues then no only have I got the ultimate performing razor but also one that makes my blades last longer...this razor can do no wrong!!

They have provided excellent customer service with their first razor, I think there will probably be no issues. But over time metal will wear and the collar will loosen.

I hope the thread lasts forever like the Gillette Tech and other vintage 3 piece razors.

I mean, they can be over 70 years old and the threads on the top caps are still perfect.

I've noticed that my PolSilvers seem to be comfortable, even after 8+ shaves in the Rockwell compared to my other razors. I wish I can get my hands on an extra top head so I can use the other plates with another handle

Excellent write-up! I'm really looking forward to the rest of your series.

To me, audio feedback is someting I wouldn't want to be without! I love the feedback I get from my ATT.

I had heard a few other fellows talk about chatter, and they were complaining about it. I though they were talking about something else entirely, like the blade slipping or something. I understand that you weren't complaining about chatter, or audio feedback, you were reporting your observations.

But these other fellows, if audio feedback was what they were complaining about, I'm afraid I have to say that they really need to re-evaluate how they're thinking. It's nothing to complain about, it's something to be desired!
Thats odd because my 6s is extremely loud with the Rockwell blades, audio feedback is one of the reasons why I stay away from merkurs

Jon - 6S; R41.13;DE89LBL, some old Gillettes. Croma, Astra & Voskhod

Thats odd because my 6s is extremely loud with the Rockwell blades, audio feedback is one of the reasons why I stay away from merkurs

Jon - 6S; R41.13;DE89LBL, some old Gillettes. Croma, Astra & Voskhod

Are you saying you're staying away because they give you audio feedback?

The review of the Rockwell plates, continued:

$Rockwell 2.jpg

Plate #2:

1. Efficient and easy to use, #2 is a good plate for a light someone with a light beard.
  2. The shave was DFS; pretty clean, but you might see light whiskers, if you look closely. It’s not dissimilar to the shave from my beloved Aristocrat Junior. This plate is really good for daily shaving. That said, there’s still a touch of stubble on my chin and throat. It’s not ultra-close like, say, shaving with a Muhle R41…but with Plate #2, we’re coming closer to Red Tip territory.
  3. The shave is very smooth, no tugging whatsoever. Even shaving against the grain, shaving is easy and comfortable.
  4. With the Gillette Silver Blue, the audio feedback is very quiet - though I can definitely hear the subtle sound of beard bristles being cut. (While I’ve never had a problem with “chatter,” even a quick web search will reveal that it can be a problem for men with sensitive skin. For some, “chatter” is associated with irritation - and reversed with razors that don't flex while shaving. ATT does a clever - and effective - spin on these vibrations, claiming the the razor “sings like no other.” Read this post for more information: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/478948-Razor-design-and-the-importance-of-blade-rigidity
  5. Two small nicks - both my own mistakes. So, obviously the shave can get closer, but the shave is still better than my norm. But I want a little more closeness.

Using my Gillette Slim as reference, the sensitivity is about 2-2.5 of 9.

Plate #3:

1. I thought that Plate #2 was going to be the perfect one for my mild beard, but Plate #3 gives an even closer shave. The shave was effortless, and it’s still easy to shave against the grain (at least with a sharp blade like the GSB). I’m beginning to wonder if there’s even a point where the 6S will be uncomfortable; I certainly haven’t reached that point yet.
  2. My cheeks and mustache are clean; my chin is nearly clean, and my neck is about 85% clean. One nick on the lip - my error again.
  3. The 6S is still extremely quiet - though I understand that others may have different results with other blades. I’m definitely going to look into this after this trial is done.
  4. The razor is now somewhere around a Gillette NEW (Red & Black) - except that the 6S is noticeably smoother. This relative smoothness makes it difficult to directly compare the two razors.

With the Slim as baseline, the sensitivity is about 3-3.5 of 9.

(Continued...)

My wife ordered the rockwell 6S for me as a father's day present. Even though the website said they were backordered and would ship by the 20th of this month is arrived on the 11th!

Based on other feedback I read I decided to try it for the first time with the #3 plate.

A little history:

I started DE shaving with a merkur 34C about 3 years ago. I liked the razor better than the cartridge shaving I had been doing, but this forum eventually lead me to some RAD!

I followed up the merkur 34C with a Weber PH which quickly became my goto razor. After that I picked up a RazoRock Stealth Slant and a Razorock Baby Smooth. While I like both of the aluminum razors, I prefer the heavier Weber and it provides a much closer shave for me than the other 3 razors.

The gear:
Stirling Port-au-Prince soap (This is great stuff and I know I'm going to get a great lather)
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow blade (new)
Stirling Glastonbury Aftershave splash to follow up

The shave started with absolutely perfect lather. I looked at this stuff and knew that if I had issues it wouldn't be the lathers fault!

I knew the razor was coming, so I didn't shave Friday. It got to my house late on Saturday so I settled for waiting until Sunday morning. So 3 full days of growth!

The first thing I noticed is this razor is smooth. Likely the smoothest of my razors, but one shave with great lather and a great blade isn't enough to make a full determination.

The next thing I noticed is that with the #3 plate it wasn't going to mow down 3 days of growth as well as my Weber PH would. It was doing a fine job, but there was just too much hair and the plate is too mild to get it all off easily with one pass.

I ended up with a fairly typical 3 pass shave with some minor touchups. The alum block at the end suggested I had a pretty good shave with very little irritation. There was some minor irritation on some of my trouble spots (neck under the chin and under my lower lip). I think these came from trying to get a closer shave than the #3 plate is set up to give.

At the end of the day while the shave wasn't as close as the Weber PH, it was still a great shave with very little effort. I also got a nick on my ear. I think that is because of the longer handle. On a against the grain pass on the cheek the longer handle brought the blade closer to my ear than would happen with the Weber bulldog handle.

My initial impression is that this is a great razor. I'm eager to see if a #4 or #5 plate might provide similar levels of smoothness while getting a tiny bit closer shave.

Can the Rockwell 6S get as aggressive as the Shavecraft Tech?

I have used both, the most aggressive Rockwell plate as well as the Shavecraft Tech. In my opinion, there's no contest. The Tech is much more aggressive. I can shave with the Rockwell 6 plate every day, no problem. Fast and smooth shave. The Tech has me throwing in the towel after a week with plans to revisit the razor later-on.

1. With the Gillette Silver Blue, the audio feedback is very quiet - though I can definitely hear the subtle sound of beard bristles being cut. (While I’ve never had a problem with “chatter,” even a quick web search will reveal that it can be a problem for men with sensitive skin. For some, “chatter” is associated with irritation - and reversed with razors that don't flex while shaving. ATT does a clever - and effective - spin on these vibrations, claiming the the razor “sings like no other.” Read this post for more information: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/478948-Razor-design-and-the-importance-of-blade-rigidity
Wow, that's a real eye opener. Thanks for posting that link. I had no idea that it was such a problem for some guys.

I just finished shaving, and I was paying particular attention, and I didn't notice any vibration of the blade, I just heard the whiskers being mowed down.

This wet shaving stuff is amazing, I'm continually surprised by how much I don't know.

Well I'm certainly glad I don't have a problem with it, I find audio feedback indispensable in helping to improve my technique.

Top Bottom