What's new

Rockwell Razor Club

Which gives better shaves overall?

• Merkur Progress

• Rockwell 6s

Results are only viewable after voting.
None of the Gillette razors do even come close to the 6s if I try to compare them. The 6s is on another level, but people like the Gillette razors for its vintage stage, they tend to last long time and they are piece of history.

Last edited by a moderator:
The vintage gilette adjustable razors feel like toys compared to the 6s
The 6s is smooth, adjustable though obviously not as easy. Heavy nice construction.
I have a slim, a fatboy, and a 6s
I think the 6s will end up with more use.
My shave tonight was the 6s with a #6 with the grain to knock down the last 4 days of growth
Then #3 plate to finish up atg, and finally xtg.
I wish i had made my soap thinner because i might have been able to use the #3 plate all the way.
But i was using the #3 and during the first pass it clogged bigtime so to compensate i just grabbed the #6.

I had an opportunity to spend a week with a Rockwell. A good shaver. Nothing special about it for me. I can get equal shaves with any of my vintage Gillettes including the non-adjustables.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I Can Not Imagine any shaver being closer and more comfortable than a BBS and great post shave feel That I get with
any of My VINTAGE TOY RAZORS, You know The Toys that have lasted for some over a 100 years . And to Think that You have to spend $60 or $100 to get a good shave One of My Best Shaving Razors(Rosie) a Gillette LC NEW I bought for $15. I just think of P.T.Barnum and some of his sayings. when I see wolfmans 2nd hand razors selling for $500 on some auction site . I Know They are Nice Razors and The Craftsmanship is outstanding But that is outrages ,and people are buying Them.
Sorry Edgar do what you have to do

I had an opportunity to spend a week with a Rockwell. A good shaver. Nothing special about it for me. I can get equal shaves with any of my vintage Gillettes including the non-adjustables.

The 6S is "nothing special" when compared to my Slim, but it is a better (way better) shaver than my 1940s and Flare Tip Super Speeds.

I have a Fatboy and a Slim. The Rockwell out-performs them both. It has become my favorite razor. So much so that I may not want/need to get a Wolfman.

I can see why you'd think that a Fatboy or Slim perform imperfectly. I've tried a LC and SC NEW - better, but prone to occasional nicks and potential issues with balance. But I'd be pleasantly surprised if the 6S equals or surpasses the Aristocrat Junior.

I guess I'll know then answer when the 6S comes in the mail. Some day. :bored:

I don't know who makes them,if someone else really makes these blades instead of rockwell.
I found them to be exceptionally smooth and sharp.They look like personna blades propably the blue ones.
I was waiting nicks and cuts when started my shave but nothing happened.They seem rough but they are not!!!
Proapbly i'll have to stock more...

My first Rockwell blade has just gone into the blade bank after 7 bbs shaves using my 6s with Ingram cream. No irritation no nicks or weepers just perfect shaves. Guess I am one of the lucky ones they suit. My go to blades are Astra platinums and Feathers. Personna Lab blues and Derbys just feel to dull and tuggy for me. In time I will try them in my fatboy, slim and aristocrat and see how they perform in them.

Finished 8 shaves on a rockwell blade in a rockwell 6s on plate #3 before I banked it. Exceptional, definitely defied stereotypes. I'm anal as hell when it comes to blades, and I'm a creature of habit. Tried them on a dare, and ended up loving them almost as much as my go to Cromas. It's could have gone more shaves, but I'm strictly a one blade a week. Worth every penny

Jon - 6S; R41.13;DE89LBL, some old Gillettes. Croma, Astra & Voskhod

ROCKWELL 6S

The Rockwell website said that my order for the 6S was "unfulfilled" - and I felt unfulfilled waiting for the razor to arrive in the mail. But on June 9th, the shaving gods took mercy on me; my Rockwell 6S came in the mail. Although the razor was officially on “back order,” mine came in after only nine days.

LOOKS
I'm a fan of certain Gillette razors, like the British Aristocrat - and of modern razors like the Wolfman. The Rockwell 6S may not rise to that level, but it's definitely handsome and tastefully utilitarian.

$ROCKWELL2.jpg

The 6S arrived double-boxed: first, in a reinforced shipping box, and inside of that, a black cardboard box. Inside, there was the 6S razor, three swappable base plates, a tuck of five Rockwell blades - and a box of 100 Rockwell blades. If I used three blades a week, I’d have enough blades to last a year - but I’ll stick to my personal favorite blades.

$ROCKWELL 5.jpg

The razor handle is shiny and bright, while the cap and plates are more a grayish color.

USING AN ADJUSTABLE
I already have an adjustable razor (a Gillette Slim). The Rockwell 6S is also adjustable - but in a different way. With a Slim, you select the sensitivity level, 1 to 9. With a 6S, you swap one plate with another. I admit, it’s a little easier to change settings with the Slim’s 1-9 selector; but with a 6S, switching plates or blades took about eighteen seconds. With a Slim, it would be six seconds.

Changing the base plates is similar to what you’d do if you had an Above the Tie razor. The main difference is that the 6S uses flippable base plates. With an ATT razor, you have to push the blade onto the two aligning pins before using it; otherwise, the blades won’t be fastened down. With the Rockwell 6S, the blade locks quickly and securely like a Gillette razor. Nice touch.

If you want to change plates on a 6S mid-shave…well, you're going to have to unscrew the razor, choose a new setting, and screw it closed again. Water and soap suds will be an annoyance. So, if you're the kind of guy who likes changing sensitivity levels on the fly, you’ll find a Slim more convenient.

WEIGHT
Maybe the first thing you’ll notice about the Rockwell 6S is the weight. While your typical Gillette razor weighs between sixty and eighty grams, the 6S is a solid 122 grams.

At 70g, I love the Gillette Aristocrat Junior (a TTO razor), but the handle is a bit thin, and the razor a tad light. But with the 6S, there's a reassuring heft and balance. It feels “sturdy” whatever’s that's worth.

COST
There are any number of razors, new and vintage, that will give you a good shave. If you already know your preferred sensitivity level, you'll probably be able to find your ideal vintage razor with little difficulty. For my money, a good vintage razor still gives the best bang for the buck.

But if you're still trying to figure out your sensitivity level, the 6S is a cost-effective way of finding it out. If you’re new to DE shaving, your shaves will vary according to your improving technique - and that's where plate system pays off.

For me, a big advantage is value. It’s not 303 stainless - but it’s $99, and I'm betting it shaves pretty much the same.

But how’s the performance? Over the next week, I'll compare the plates, and how they work with a few of the top blades.

Top Bottom