What's new

Rockwell or Karve?

Rockwell or Karve?

• Rockwell

Votes: 42 50.0%
  • Karve

Votes: 42 50.0%

• Total voters
I used a wax polish to finish called Renaissance. And it's not spotted up or tarnished at all yet . It took me about 20 minutes or so at first . I clean and dry all my Razors after every shave so it should be ok for sometime, I think :)
Cool! I’ll give it a shot.

And Rockwell lost a lot of support delaying the Model T by 3 years. Many members have tried both and simply have a preference. We can’t even agree on Slim Vs Fatboy and those are practically the same razor.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
And Rockwell lost a lot of support delaying the Model T by 3 years. Many members have tried both and simply have a preference. We can’t even agree on Slim Vs Fatboy and those are practically the same razor.

Chocolate or vanilla :)

I am firmly in Camp Karve.
I have and use both the Karve and Rockwell 6S.
Up until i bought my first Karve, i thought the 6S was perfect on plate 2, 3 or 4, depending on how much growth i had. Then i got this sudden urge to buy a brass CB with plates A-OC, B-SB and C-SB. A month later i bought both D plates as well, and sold the A plate. It was fine, but I didn't really need it and a mate bought it off me.

Fast forward to current time, and the SS Karve with a C-SB is my daily driver. I will use the B occasionally, and the D also if i want a more efficient shave. The D is super smooth for my face, but care must be used in tricky areas, or it will bite. I get a virtual BBS with 2 passes with ease.

With regards to the weight of the Karve, this information is available on his website. For info i paste it here:

95g x 83mm long / 103g x 91mm long / 110g x 98mm long / 120g x 108mm

I didn't pick up the 6S for a solid 4-5 months and when i did, i found it a sub-par shave experience. Karve all the way IMO.

p.s. i still own the 6S and have considered selling it, but used the R5 plate last week and enjoyed it, but i think the weight is too high for my liking. It might become my travel razor, who knows...

Lots of good thoughts being brought up, which is exactly as i hoped. And yes it does seem to be a chocolate or vanilla sort of thing (chocolate!). Last nught i favored the Rockwell. Today I admit to leaning towards the Karve - I certainly appreciate the artistry of the machining. That alone may be a deciding factor to me. Timeless is priced outside of my pain threshold, so Karve gets the edge on artistic value. The Russian razor suggested does look great, but I know nothing more than it looks cool. A reliably smooth, efficient shave is still the priority. And the handmade aspect is appealing to me. So...on to selling the feather!

My opinion may or may not matter now. But, ...

I have the brass Karve, stainless steel Karve, and Rockwell 6s. The Karve is the better razor for me. Enough for me to stop using the 6s? No. I love it still. The head of the Rockwell is bulkier, and it does make shaving under my nose a little harder. The Karve has a slimmer head, and just feels more maneuverable. Shaving-wise, the Karve is better for me. Smooth and efficient. The Rockwell? Just as smooth but just not as efficient, even with all their plates. Brass Karve? The maintenance of brass can be a problem for some (I can dry my brass in about a minute after shaving and have never had any discoloration or spots with my hard water).

My recommendation? The Rockwell 6s (or go for the 6c for less money). You don't have to chase other people's ideas of the perfect razor. That way lies RAD. But if the Rockwell is not working for you, one day consider the Karve (plate C is my favorite, and I think it's close to the Rockwell 5, plate B is closer to 3-4) (I have no experience with the EJ to guide you). If your budget allows, get both (? get the 6c, and decide if Rockwell is your favorite, if not, it gives you an idea about future Karve plates?).

Just so you know, I had the Rockwell 6s before my Karves (6c before the 6s; I gave the 6c to my son). Put another way, you cannot go wrong.

Last edited:
Haven't tried the Karve so I can't speak on which one is better. This comment is useless :)
My opinion is just as useless (no Karve here, just a 6C) but I'm reading the thread with some interest.

I do admire all perfectly-engineered stuff. OTOH, I am awaiting a 6S.

It will be interesting to see how good it is.

I went with the Karve, personally I couldn't see the point in buying a razor that came with plates I would never use. After much research, I went with just one plate the Brass Open Comb C, seems I dialed in on the right one because it works perfectly for me and I don't think I will need additional plates.

Giving this thread a bump...
I am sure I have all the DE razors I need, modern and vintage plus some straights...
I have a stainless steel RR Game Changer.84 SB no less...
I've had always admired the Karve Razor bronze since it is the most affordable...for me
I've read and mostly watch u-tubers using the Karve razors...

I sure am in love with the Karve Bronze Razor....even chosen my plates...SB-D & E plus an OC-C. That should be my final DE Razor....

Dang, it was just a dream after all.... 😆 😆 😆
I would choose Karve...

Giving this thread a bump...
I am sure I have all the DE razors I need, modern and vintage plus some straights...
I have a stainless steel RR Game Changer.84 SB no less...
I've had always admired the Karve Razor bronze since it is the most affordable...for me
I've read and mostly watch u-tubers using the Karve razors...

I sure am in love with the Karve Bronze Razor....even chosen my plates...SB-D & E plus an OC-C. That should be my final DE Razor....

Dang, it was just a dream after all.... 😆 😆 😆
I would choose Karve...
I don’t understand your post, but Karve doesn’t make a bronze razor.

Coming into the discussion very late I see! I've used both the Rockwell 6C, 6S, and Karve Brass razors. Overall I have to say that the Rockwell 6C is the smoothest overall for me. Minimal blade feel and smooth. I do like the look of the Karve better and was hoping that it would surpass the Rockwell, but it did not. Very nice shaver, but not as smooth overall as the Rockwell. Like they say....YMMV!

Top Bottom