What's new

Rockwell model T is it worth the extra $$$

Hi, I'm looking at the Rockwell model T and whas wondering if its worth the price $150.. that's $80+ then for example a Merkur Progress or Parker Variant? It is a sweet looking razor especially in this gunmetal colour but from what I've seen on numerous vids the actual shaving performance isn't beter or worse then the less pricy competition

Over Variant or Progress - IMO, no. But that’s just me. Now, the finish is very nice and so is the packaging, so it might be worth it to you. It’s a good razor for sure, but I can’t quite justify the price. At that point I’d rather buy a non-adjustable Timeless.

To me, the Model T is much less aggressive than the Parker Variant, although I have read many people feel the opposite. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you. I bought the Model T when it was $100 and would not pay $150 for it even though I think it is an excellent razor. I also think the Parker Variant is an excellent razor and it sells for less than $60. Both razors provide me with outstanding results.

eric.

Hi, I'm looking at the Rockwell model T and whas wondering if its worth the price $150.. that's $80+ then for example a Merkur Progress or Parker Variant? It is a sweet looking razor especially in this gunmetal colour but from what I've seen on numerous vids the actual shaving performance isn't beter or worse then the less pricy competition

One more thing about razors being worth their costs. I think you have to find a razor that works for you. I have had a very expensive BBS-1 razor, and although it was beautiful I got better shaves from my Lord L6 which costs about $10. I sold the BBS-1 and still have the Lord L6.

Short answer is don't expect to get better shaves based upon the cost of the razor. The very high priced razors have better materials, will have more precise specifications, and will last much longer than you will. They may also be beautiful works of art. For many people that is worth their costs. But in my opinion they do not necessarily provide a better shave than less expensive razors.

eric.

One more thing about razors being worth their costs. I think you have to find a razor that works for you. I have had a very expensive BBS-1 razor, and although it was beautiful I got better shaves from my Lord L6 which costs about $10. I sold the BBS-1 and still have the Lord L6.

Short answer is don't expect to get better shaves based upon the cost of the razor. The very high priced razors have better materials, will have more precise specifications, and will last much longer than you will. They may also be beautiful works of art. For many people that is worth their costs. But in my opinion they do not necessarily provide a better shave than less expensive razors.

eric.

This, x100.

eric.

Great point!!

IMO the Lord L6 is one fine shaver (my travel razor)!! :a29:

The main thing is to find what makes you happy.

The Model T has become by every day shaver. It is very attractive, and it is very well built. I probably wouldn't pay list for it, because I have much cheaper razors that provide a similar level of performance. However, I am glad that I paid the crowdsourcing rate for it.

I also went the way of crowdsourcing, and had a chance to compere the 6S and Model T back to back. Both are very similar in the quality of shave. Once I've dialed in my fave setting, they don't change too much; in fact, I couldn't find much difference in the shave from a Model T and Gillette Slim.

That said, the Model T is one classy-looking razor, and the mechanics are as smooth as I've found in a razor, vintage or modern.

I've only recently acquired my Model T and used it for about 5 or so shaves. So please bear in mind that I'm still learning to use it and am also still in the experimentation phase with regard to which blades to match with it.

I bought it because I very much enjoyed the shaves from my 6S and I wanted to compare a modern "true" adjustable to my Gillette Slim. The Model T comes in excellent packaging and arrived with the nice to have extras of the leather head cap, blade bank, a cream sample and 100 Rockwell blades. The quality of the engineering is excellent, the twist mechanism almost feels pneumatic it is that smooth. The same goes for the adjustment ring, which is infinitely variable, namely you can dial in 3.75 or 4.5, it's not preset to a click point. It's a big razor, with a noticeable heft, which adds to the overall feeling of quality. All of that is great.

I'd say that the Rockwell is quite aggressive. The first time I used it, I went too quickly and ended up with a number of nicks around my mouth, in places I would not normally experience them. The reveal and blade gap looks quite large even on say setting 4 and so its use, in my experience, benefits from careful shaving technique. You have to exercise thought and care, as it's less forgiving than the 6S for instance.

The first blade I used was a Personna Med Prep and I then moved on to a PolSilver. So two sharp blades both of which nicked me. I generally shave after two or three days, start on 5 for WTG, 4 or 3.5 XTG and 2 for ATG, especially on my neck. Apart from getting small nicks on a couple of the shaves, I did get BBS shaves, they are as yet just not the most comfortable of shaves.

As I said at the start of this post, I'm still experimenting. For the next round of tests, I will be using two of my familiar and smoother blades, an Israeli Crystal and then a Voskhod. Who knows after that I may even try a Rockwell blade ;)

To sum up, it's an expensive razor but it is very well built and I'm pleased to have it in my collection. Would I trade the 6S for it? No.

dkpwatson64_1591451916.jpg

I've only recently acquired my Model T and used it for about 5 or so shaves. So please bear in mind that I'm still learning to use it and am also still in the experimentation phase with regard to which blades to match with it.

I bought it because I very much enjoyed the shaves from my 6S and I wanted to compare a modern "true" adjustable to my Gillette Slim. The Model T comes in excellent packaging and arrived with the nice to have extras of the leather head cap, blade bank, a cream sample and 100 Rockwell blades. The quality of the engineering is excellent, the twist mechanism almost feels pneumatic it is that smooth. The same goes for the adjustment ring, which is infinitely variable, namely you can dial in 3.75 or 4.5, it's not preset to a click point. It's a big razor, with a noticeable heft, which adds to the overall feeling of quality. All of that is great.

I'd say that the Rockwell is quite aggressive. The first time I used it, I went too quickly and ended up with a number of nicks around my mouth, in places I would not normally experience them. The reveal and blade gap looks quite large even on say setting 4 and so its use, in my experience, benefits from careful shaving technique. You have to exercise thought and care, as it's less forgiving than the 6S for instance.

The first blade I used was a Personna Med Prep and I then moved on to a PolSilver. So two sharp blades both of which nicked me. I generally shave after two or three days, start on 5 for WTG, 4 or 3.5 XTG and 2 for ATG, especially on my neck. Apart from getting small nicks on a couple of the shaves, I did get BBS shaves, they are as yet just not the most comfortable of shaves.

As I said at the start of this post, I'm still experimenting. For the next round of tests, I will be using two of my familiar and smoother blades, an Israeli Crystal and then a Voskhod. Who knows after that I may even try a Rockwell blade ;)

To sum up, it's an expensive razor but it is very well built and I'm pleased to have it in my collection. Would I trade the 6S for it? No.

View attachment 1119317
What a beutiful razor! Do you know how it performs compared to Merkur Progress?

I own a Model T, and while I think it's a fine razor, I never find myself using the adjustment feature, and much prefer my Rex Envoy on the (now) rare occasion that I use a safety instead of a straight or shavette. YMMV.

I'd say that the Rockwell is quite aggressive.

I find that the 6S and Model T have roughly the same "sensitivity" levels...but they require you to shave at a different angle. You might try a Gillette Silver Blue blade; shaves 2-4 are especially smooth, not unlike an Astra SP (though the Astra SP only lasts for maybe two shaves before petering out.)

Interestingly, however, I also find that the 6S is more enjoyable to use, though the Model T is a stunning razor.

What a beutiful razor! Do you know how it performs compared to Merkur Progress?

Hi Harald,

I did have a Progress which I found gave me variable shaves. I mean that even with the same blade and setting the Progress sometimes left me under or over shaved. The Model T is far smoother than the Progress and even on the higher settings, while aggressive - having some blade feel - it's not as prone to nicking me as was the Progress. In terms of build quality, the Rockwell is miles ahead.

I hope that helps you.

Kind regards

David

I find that the 6S and Model T have roughly the same "sensitivity" levels...but they require you to shave at a different angle. You might try a Gillette Silver Blue blade; shaves 2-4 are especially smooth, not unlike an Astra SP (though the Astra SP only lasts for maybe two shaves before petering out.)

Interestingly, however, I also find that the 6S is more enjoyable to use, though the Model T is a stunning razor.

Thank you for your suggestions. I do happen to have Silver Blues in stock so may well try them with the Model T. And I agree that it's a stunning razor. It's arrival coincided with a number of others, including my Slim and a Merkur 15C so it's not had quite as much use as a new razor would usually have. My last shave was with the 6S and a Personna Israeli Crystal, so that's what's going into the Model T next. It'll be interesting to see how that goes.

I don’t usually de shave but I was tempted by the Rockwell T. The price is quite high though so I haven’t pulled the trigger on one. Anyone have any recommendations for a cheaper adjustable?

I don’t usually de shave but I was tempted by the Rockwell T. The price is quite high though so I haven’t pulled the trigger on one. Anyone have any recommendations for a cheaper adjustable?

For me, the main reason to use an dial type adjustable is to change settings during your shave. I use a different setting for my neck than I do for my face/chin/jaw. I also at time change the setting on subsequent passes. If that is important to you, the Parker Variant or Merkur Progress are both excellent razors with my preference being the Variant. If you are just looking for a adjustable using different plates that work for your entire shave (neck,face,chin,jaw) then a razor like the Rockwell 6c/6S or the Karve system are great choices.

eric.

Just got the Rockwell 6C and I'm really impressed with its smoothness and performance without a doubt my best razor so far, the interchangeable plates are perhaps not as easy to switch between settings but it doesn't bother me the shave result is what matters to me, I probably will end up with the MT as well but for now I'm very satisfied with the 6C

I have found the Model T to be a superior shaver to the Parker Variant; in fact, for me, the Model T is as good a shaver as anything in my den. Having said that, I would not pay $150 for it. The Model T is a massive razor, with a long handle and very large head, which I do not find aesthetically pleasing. That is subjective, of course, and just my taste. Also, a lot of the working parts are zamac. How this might affect longevity remains to be seen. But, at, or in some cases well below, the $150 price point, there are a lot of solid stainless and brass options for which that will never be a question.

I have found the Model T to be a superior shaver to the Parker Variant; in fact, for me, the Model T is as good a shaver as anything in my den. Having said that, I would not pay $150 for it.
I agree 100%. Having said that, the Variant is a close second for a little more than one-third the price.

Eric

I agree 100%. Having said that, the Variant is a close second for a little more than one-third the price.

Eric
Yes, that's an excellent point. While for me the Model T delivers an overall better shave, the Variant is still an excellent razor, and is by far the better value proposition. It is probably the best value in a current production adjustable razor, IMO.

Top Bottom