What's new

Rockwell Model T - in chrome finish

IMG_0039.JPG

The Rockwell Model T is, for all intents and purposes, an update of a classic - the Gillette Fatboy/Slim. And it’s a welcome update, especially if you value sturdiness and ease of use. But with the Model T, Rockwell came up with a few improvements, including a general upgrade in materials and added heft.

But the Model T’s internet popularity isn’t as wide as I’d anticipated. As often as not, forum discussions get grounded in a fog of delayed shipments and cancelled orders.

It’s time to clear up this problem.

The Package
The Rockwell Model T comes with an assortment of shaving goodies. There’s the razor itself….and a package of 100 Rockwell blades, a small tuck of Rockwell blades, a Rockwell blade safe, a faux leather tuck holder, and a snappy presentation box that shuts magnetically. This box recalls those vintage Gillette boxes for the British Aristocrats; they had lots of tin and satin, but still exuded class.

Appearance
The Model T comes in two finishes: chrome and gunmetal - and I chose chrome. Compared to the dull, pellet-sanded finish of the Rockwell 6S, the Model T is really eye-catching. To some, a chrome finish might seem “cheap.” But the Model T still looks nice, even if it’s half-buried under suds.

Balance and Feel
Based on reviews, I’d expected that the Model T would be poorly balanced - but that wasn’t the case for me. Most razors have their center of gravity about a half-inch down the handle; that’s supposed to make maneuverability easier. The Model T is 104 grams - heavier than average - and the center of balance is a little further down the handle. In other words, don’t hold the razor with the dial numbers covered. Hold it by the handle proper - like a Gillette Slim - and the balance will be fine.

Mechanics
The Rockwell Model T has a twist-to-open dial - a feature used in a long line of Gillette razors. When you turn the handle, the blade compartment opens slowly and precisely - and with a reassuring tightness. A lot of TTO razors can be loose, with blade doors that jangle when you open them. Not so with the British Gillette razors, or the Model T.

Rockwell Model T Summary
  1. It’s time to dispel a few misconceptions. The size of the razor head - which is larger than some expected - doesn’t seem to affect the shave, aside from settings 1 - 3; the #3 setting requires a shaver to work a little harder for a close shave. Next, as mentioned in part of my reactions, the handle isn’t imbalanced for me, and didn’t pose much of a learning curve. I admit that the chrome isn’t as “classy” looking as other metals, but it brightens the utilitarian styling of the Model T.
  2. The Rockwell 6S and Model T have obvious differences - but in one way I wouldn’t have guessed. If I skimp on prep, the 6S is much milder, and the Model T can irritate the skin. However, if I wash and massage my beard before shaving, the two razors are pretty similar, shave-wise. I think they can be used interchangeably. (I compared the two razors, using fresh blades and controlling for shaving strokes and pressure.) For me, the optimal setting for closeness is 5, or maybe 4. Setting 3 is closer to a “comfortable” shave, but it’s harder to achieve a DFS. Another small difference is obvious: the 6S sounds “solid” while shaving, and the Model T sounds more hollow.
  3. “Chatter,” or blade vibration, can occur when a blade isn’t entirely rigid while shaving - or if the blade itself is dull. But there’s another reason for chatter. If your beard lies flat, it’s a lot harder to shave. Conversely, massaging your beard makes it stand upright. With the Model T, this step is very important. (In other words, muss up your beard, use a sharp blade, and near-zero pressure.)
  4. I compared the Model T to the Gillette Slim, since they’re so similar - even the “hollow” sound. It’s much easier to turn the settings dial on the Slim, but shaving with the Model T was slightly closer - and I liked the utterly tight closure of the blade bay. My personal preference: I narrowly prefer the Model T for appearance and good heft. Both are solid shavers, though the Slim, for me, was unusable at setting #1.
  5. I used a bunch of blades and settings. Honestly, I believe that changing settings during a shave has more disadvantages than advantages. The Model T’s settings dial can be slippery when wet. (I’m not sold on the concept of “infinite adjustments.”)
  6. The Model T is one of the noisier razors I’ve used; when you haven’t fully prepped, your beard will sound “raspy.” But there’s abundant audio feedback even after softening your beard; it’s great for trouble-shooting your beard for BBS closeness.
  7. The Model T works best with sharp blades. Recommended blades include Feather, Personna Med Prep, Polsilver, Gillette Silver Blue, and Gillette Nacet. The Astra is a fine budget choice. I don’t recommend Rockwell blades for the Model T.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review! It's a shame the razor has suffered from so many delays.

However, the leather sheath is to protect the razor head. It's not a blade tuck holder, although I'm confident that the Wet Shaving Police will not arrest you if you want to use it to store blades. ;)

Rockwell Genuine Leather Sheath

Thanks for the info on the Genuine Leather Sheath.

I guess now I'll have to take the blades out of that sheath.... :07:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the review, I have not heard much of this razor as I prefer vintage but I glad that you bought it to my attention.

You are right to mention the delays in shipping. I bought my Rockwell Model T on July 2, 2017. I haven't received it yet. The website says that new orders will be shipped this month. Hmmmm.

I’m still quite keen for one of these when they come to full retail...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Still waiting for mine - May 2016 :( :(
Hopefully it get shipped next month, yay, 3 year anniversary.

Have been getting by with a ball-end Tech for the last few years, always avoiding pulling the trigger on something new in the belief the Model T was "shipping next month".

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great review and pics
Makes me want one. Thankfully they are out of stock. Whats the price point? Too bad they dont have a stainless option.

Great review and pics
Makes me want one. Thankfully they are out of stock. Whats the price point? Too bad they dont have a stainless option.
If memory serves me I think it was posted a while back that originally they would retail around $99 but with all the changes they had to make it would be close to $200!!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
If memory serves me I think it was posted a while back that originally they would retail around $99 but with all the changes they had to make it would be close to $200!!
Thanks for the info
Cool razor to be sure
But... Price point for chrome doesn't sing to me

...it would be close to $200!!

What? I'm suddenly less interested in the Model T.

I not confident the price premium is worth it over something like a Parker Variant or Merkur Progress unless you really want a TTO, and if you're considering a purchase in that the price range, it's not that far off from the $250 all steel Rex Ambassador.

What? I'm suddenly less interested in the Model T.

I not confident the price premium is worth it over something like a Parker Variant or Merkur Progress unless you really want a TTO, and if you're considering a purchase in that the price range, it's not that far off from the $250 all steel Rex Ambassador.
This has been brought up in the past and I believe the reason was that the cost of mfg was much higher than they thought originally and they're not making the mark up they needed to on the kickstarter so it will be passed on when those have all been shipped and they start to work on stocking them...

Interesting. I just heard of this razor company. Being from Toronto I figured it would be nice to own some hometown shave goodies. Didn’t realize there was such a delay on this model. Are the other models as delayed?

This has been brought up in the past and I believe the reason was that the cost of mfg was much higher than they thought originally and they're not making the mark up they needed to on the kickstarter so it will be passed on when those have all been shipped and they start to work on stocking them...

I don't doubt that Rockwell might have honestly underpriced the Model T, and they certainly failed to anticipate various manufacturing issues as demonstrated by the years of delays. My opinions are also not a comment on the quality of the shave from the Model T, good or bad.

Nevertheless, the value proposition of the Model T is questionable for many, particularly since less of the razor seems to be made of solid brass as originally promoted in the Kickstarter.

If you want a solid and dependable adjustable, you can easily purchase a Parker Variant or Merkur Progress in the $60 range. If you are willing to spend a premium for next-level quality, the all stainless steel Rex Ambassador is available for $250. I'm not sure what niche a $200+ brass and Zamak adjustable fills unless someone has their heart set on a TTO adjustable, and neither may Rockwell given their marketing and prices on the Kickstarter.

IMHO, assuming the quality of shave is evident, the Rockwell Model T would be a ideal in the $125-150 range, but value would decline rapidly thereafter. Given that post-Kickstarter pre-orders for the Model T were originally priced at $119, so did Rockwell.

Interesting. I just heard of this razor company. Being from Toronto I figured it would be nice to own some hometown shave goodies. Didn’t realize there was such a delay on this model. Are the other models as delayed?

The Model 62, 6C and 2C are available for purchase, and are great razors, although it was a long road to this point.

I bought a Rockwell 6S on its Kickstarter, and it had a LOT of problems. To Rockwell's credit, they ultimately made good on their promises. There's a number of small business articles on Rockwell and the 6S Kickstarter if you're interested.

Many here were hoping that the Model T wouldn't suffer from the company's growing pains, but sadly this was not to be.

So far, all we know are the pledge or pre-order prices, as the Model T has yet to be offered for retail sale. Back in April 2018 Rockwell announced a price increase from the original pledge price of $99 to $195. By September Rockwell had dialed that back to $119. I'd guess that reduction had a lot to do with a big drop in pre-orders that accompanied the doubling of the price. It seems clear that Rockwell has been relying on KS, IGG and pre-orders for cash flow, which I think explains a lot about their inability to actually complete the delivery for all of their pledges. In the meantime, at present it appears Rockwell isn't offering Model T pre-orders at all, so it isn't clear what the price will be going forward.

If Rockwell ever does manage to produce the Model T for general retail sale, I think it will be a very tough sell at a price point much above $100. I really like mine, shave-wise, but it is, after all, a mostly zamac razor. It's good, but not that good. I don't know what the price point is for Rockwell to clear a decent profit margin on the Model T, but in today's retail market the Model T will face some fierce competition. There are a lot of great razors, including some all-stainless, for under $200; some way less than that.

I inquired of Rockwell just this week concerning how long it will be until the Model T is available for sale.

They responded on Thursday, April 18, 2019, that they anticipate availability within about 6 weeks.

I also think that one of the reasons why we've seen so few new, mid-level adjustables is that they simply don't offer much more, and cannot compete on value, against "basic" razors like the Variant and Progress, to say nothing of cheap but entirely functional clones and "inspirations" from companies like QShave, Viking and Weishi. To make a demonstrably better razor substantially increases costs as evidenced by models like the Rex Ambassador. The "low/middle" end is so darn good nowadays and achieves such value that there's not much room or opportunity in the market until you reach the "luxury" sector where price is far less of a concern.

I wish Rockwell luck (as I do with all other vendors taking risks in our little hobby), but the Model T might not be for me with so many other offerings in the marketplace.

Thanks for the review. I received mine (finally!) last week. Haven't used it yet, as I'm debating selling it as my financial circumstances have changed since ordering it.

Attachments

• 55564452_10155955615177321_6393897747467993088_o.jpg
    55564452_10155955615177321_6393897747467993088_o.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 49
Top Bottom