What's new

Rockwell Model T available at retail

I see that the Rockwell Model T is finally available for retail sale, nearly four years after the launch of its crowdfunding campaign. The tab is $150. I’m curious what folks here think about its prospects in the market. Personally, I think it may be a tough go at that asking price, given the plethora of excellent razors that have hit the market over the past four years. While the Model T is a somewhat unique in design among modern adjustables, it’s not stainless; in fact, some of the key parts are Zamak. Given these factors, I’m thinking this may be a tough sell. What do you guys think?

Full disclosure, I backed the Model T project and (finally!) got my razor some time ago. While I find it to be an excellent shaver, knowing what I now know, I don’t think I’d be willing to fork over 150 bucks for it.

IMO, the Model T is a great adjustable. It is certainly in my top five DE razors and may be number 1. However, I think $150 is too much. At least for me. Given that it is not stainless steel or all brass, I think $100 is about the right price. Maybe $125. I wish Rockwell all the best, but I don't think I would buy it at $150. Not when you can get the Vikingsblade Emperor Meiji or the Parker Variant in the vicinity of $50.

eric.

I think at that price point the zamak parts will keep a lot of people away.
It's keeping me away, now if it were
Selling for anywhere between $69--$89
I'd seriously be considering it as a purchasing option, but where it stands
Now, I suspect the very attractive Gold
& Black Viking Blades adjustable will whip
The Model T into submission.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Have you guys read any posts on here?!?

It'll sell out, early. Lotsa dudes on here will pay that, just to say they got one!

I see that the Rockwell Model T is finally available for retail sale, nearly four years after the launch of its crowdfunding campaign. The tab is $150. I’m curious what folks here think about its prospects in the market. Personally, I think it may be a tough go at that asking price, given the plethora of excellent razors that have hit the market over the past four years. While the Model T is a somewhat unique in design among modern adjustables, it’s not stainless; in fact, some of the key parts are Zamak. Given these factors, I’m thinking this may be a tough sell. What do you guys think?

Full disclosure, I backed the Model T project and (finally!) got my razor some time ago. While I find it to be an excellent shaver, knowing what I now know, I don’t think I’d be willing to fork over 150 bucks for it.

+1! Pricey for Zamak IMO. But to each his own. Let’s see how it does in the market!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
+1! Pricey for Zamak IMO. But to each his own. Let’s see how it does in the market!
x2
I do want something along the t design eventually. The sale emails from rockwell were hard to ignore but i think the chrome is a deal breaker.

I was an early bird backer and feel that was a good price, the wait notwithstanding. $150 seems steep and I think they'll have a hard time finding support. I figured they would give up the T and focus on the 6 series.

I figured they would give up the T and focus on the 6 series.
Yes, you do have to wonder if Rockwell can sell enough Model Ts at $150 to make it pencil. Also whether, if it proves to be a good seller, they can timely produce sufficient numbers of the Model T. Even after first deliveries started more than two years ago, production proceeded at a snail's pace. In fact, the campaign message boards are still showing recent posts from backers who have not yet received their Model Ts. Rockwell did raise more than 600K through their crowdfunding campaigns, but that also came with an obligation to deliver more than 6,000 Model Ts to backers. Four years and several false starts later, I'm not sure how those numbers have worked out. It will be interesting to see how things go from here.

BTW, Maggard is one of the retailers that has the Model T in stock, and they are having a sale tomorrow where, if I'm interpreting their promo codes correctly, the Model T would be eligible for a $21 discount.

FarmerTan

Yes, you do have to wonder if Rockwell can sell enough Model Ts at $150 to make it pencil. Also whether, if it proves to be a good seller, they can timely produce sufficient numbers of the Model T. Even after first deliveries started more than two years ago, production proceeded at a snail's pace. In fact, the campaign message boards are still showing recent posts from backers who have not yet received their Model Ts. Rockwell did raise more than 600K through their crowdfunding campaigns, but that also came with an obligation to deliver more than 6,000 Model Ts to backers. Four years and several false starts later, I'm not sure how those numbers have worked out. It will be interesting to see how things go from here.

BTW, Maggard is one of the retailers that has the Model T in stock, and they are having a sale tomorrow where, if I'm interpreting their promo codes correctly, the Model T would be eligible for a $21 discount.
I think if that's the case then they will certainly sell out at Maggard's.

Look at the price people get for Toggles!

In checking the inventory on Maggard's web site it looks like so far Model Ts are not moving. In the few days that I've been watching none have sold, even during yesterday's sale when they were discounted $21.

FarmerTan

In checking the inventory on Maggard's web site it looks like so far Model Ts are not moving. In the few days that I've been watching none have sold, even during yesterday's sale when they were discounted $21.
That's kinda sad.

I hope they haven't introduced an item that only sells to sit on shelves, be they retailers or hobbyists.

That's kinda sad.

I hope they haven't introduced an item that only sells to sit on shelves, be they retailers or hobbyists.
I think if Rockwell had been able to bring the Model T to market within their original time frame (approximately 1 year after the launch of their KS campaign) the picture would have been very different. There was a lot of buzz generated by their original announcement of the project; heck, they generated over 8,000 pledges and pre-orders. Folks were obviously excited and the project had a lot of early momentum. Unfortunately, the fact that the campaign dragged on for nearly four years killed a lot of that buzz. Also during that time, many other excellent new razors entered the market, including some that compete directly with the Model T concept, but at a much lower price point. I'm thinking here of razors like the Parker Variant and the Vikings Blades Emperor. There has also been a seeming flood of high-quality stainless and brass razors that mostly occupy the same higher price segment of the market that the Model T has landed in.

It's too bad, because the Model T is a very good razor. But the timing of their entry into the market and the asking price will, I think, make things tough for them.

I've made up my mind, I'm committed
To purchasing a Model T , and come
Hell or high Water, I will eventually get
One but at $150. For a Pot Metal razor
That would be OVER MY DEAD BODY.

I think if Rockwell had been able to bring the Model T to market within their original time frame (approximately 1 year after the launch of their KS campaign) the picture would have been very different. There was a lot of buzz generated by their original announcement of the project; heck, they generated over 8,000 pledges and pre-orders. Folks were obviously excited and the project had a lot of early momentum. Unfortunately, the fact that the campaign dragged on for nearly four years killed a lot of that buzz. Also during that time, many other excellent new razors entered the market, including some that compete directly with the Model T concept, but at a much lower price point. I'm thinking here of razors like the Parker Variant and the Vikings Blades Emperor. There has also been a seeming flood of high-quality stainless and brass razors that mostly occupy the same higher price segment of the market that the Model T has landed in.

It's too bad, because the Model T is a very good razor. But the timing of their entry into the market and the asking price will, I think, make things tough for them.
my thoughts exactly.

I saw it was available and was interested in it but at $150 I changed my mind quite fast. It may be modern but why bother when you can pick up vintage Slim re-plate for a little less. I consider my re-plated rose gold Slim more or less a brand new razor even thought it is 55 years old. There are other modern adjustable razors such as Merkur and Parker that are a lot less so I think at the price point it is going to turn off a lot of people. Hope they get them sold but I just can't see they could make a go of it for what they are asking but good luck to them.

Yes, your point about competition from refurbished/restored vintage is a very good one. I was thinking about other modern production razors, but I agree that for many vintage razors occupy that same niche. I have a re-plated Fat Boy that looks brand new. I was lucky enough to find it cheap in the wild and have only about an additional $50 or so into the re-plate. But even if you don't want to go to that trouble, places like RE have refurbished vintage razors ready to go.

Apart from the “quality of manufacturing and metals used” factor, how does it actually perform? Also against the 6s series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom