What's new

Rockwell Blades

I received a 100 pack of these for supporting one of the campaigns to get a Rockwell 6c razor. Finally got around to trying one out.

Razor: EJ89 Kelvin
Soap: Cella
Blade: Rockwell

Definitely not the sharpest, nor the smoothest blade I have tried. Reminded me of a Derby to be honest. I can get 3 good shaves out of a Derby, but can't go any farther as they start pulling instead of cutting and that leaves a nice irritated/razor burn area on my neck. The Rockwell felt very similar for the first shave - 3 pass plus my usually touch up on one left cheek (ATG) and both sides of adam's apple. I followed up with an alum bar rub just to feel if there was any stinging - very little which is good. Splash of Thayer's Lavender and done.

Day 1: DFS/BBS so a very good shave overall. Face is smooth and feels great. Typical 3 pass + light touch up in the usual spots.

I find the blade works fine in the Rockwell and Merkur razors, but not so well in my Gillette razors. I've been including them in most of my trades.

Had some....probably still do. A very forgettable blade. A Feather it ain't....not an Astra either for that matter.

Its widely thought that Rockwell blades are made by Samah Razor Blades Industries in Bangladesh on contract for Rockwell. They may be Sharp Durablades. This is based on postings seen on B+B from generally reliable people.

DAY 2:

Soap: TOBS Lavender cream

Summary:
Ouch. Won't make a day 3 on this blade. Cheeks are smooth, next is a bit hot, few weepers. Definitely not a sharp blade, nor a smooth blade. I had to use short, quick strokes on my neck to avoid the pulling sensation.

Comparison: I get 7 to 8 shaves from Astra SP, up to 10 on a GSB, Derby 3 if I'm lucky. So the Rockwells are as many of you describe above - forgettable.

So, I have a total of 104 of these blades, which means about a 104 shaves based on what I experienced with the first. I may need to take tomorrow off and heal a bit. :a15:

I've said it before. Worst blade I've ever used. However, I freely admit to not ever trying a Dorco or Derby. Coincidently, I just tried a Rockwell tonight after many months of not using one. Another thread in which I declared "worst blade" had a reply from someone who said they weren't that bad. Well, my technique is better than it was even 6 months ago, so I figured I would try again. Maybe it was partly technique. No, it wasn't. Same horrible shave. This blade is so dull. This blade is more dull than an Astra SP after four shaves.

Love my Rockwell 6S, hate their blades. They really need to do something about them (the blades).

I have a new Rockwell 6C and love it. Highly recommended. I wanted to break it in with blades I like and am familiar with (Before trying one of Rockwell blades that came with the razor). Rockwell Razor gave a super comfortable and close shave with my "go to" blades: Personna Red (Israeli), Astra SP, Merkur and 7 O'Clock Black. No weepers and BBS. Then I tried a Rockwell blade. Ouch! All that was left was the screaming and blood! Same technique, pre-shave and cream, so it definitely was the blade. I concur, Rockwell needs to upgrade to better blades, since their name and reputation is on those blades. If you acquire a wonderful Rockwell razor, then dump their blades in the recycle bin.

I received a 100 pack of these for supporting one of the campaigns to get a Rockwell 6c razor. Finally got around to trying one out.

Soap: Cella

Definitely not the sharpest, nor the smoothest blade I have tried. Reminded me of a Derby to be honest. I can get 3 good shaves out of a Derby, but can't go any farther as they start pulling instead of cutting and that leaves a nice irritated/razor burn area on my neck. The Rockwell felt very similar for the first shave - 3 pass plus my usually touch up on one left cheek (ATG) and both sides of adam's apple. I followed up with an alum bar rub just to feel if there was any stinging - very little which is good. Splash of Thayer's Lavender and done.

Day 1: DFS/BBS so a very good shave overall. Face is smooth and feels great. Typical 3 pass + light touch up in the usual spots.
I received a 100 pack in a generous PIF, given a bunch away, and can get 3 - 4 decent shaves from them. For me, they're average but decent blades...in the right razor.

I find the blade works fine in the Rockwell and Merkur razors, but not so well in my Gillette razors. I've been including them in most of my trades.
My go-to razor is a Merkur which explains why I can get 3 - 4 shaves. However, I did try them in a Maggard V2 and won't be repeating that experiment a second time.

I really can't get it. Why do they sell a really good razor, to people that may be new to this, and they ship the razor with these blades that seems to be nothing more than crap? The newbie that buy a Rockwell and try it with the included blades, maybe get a damn bad shave and get scared away to the multi cartridge again.
Why can't they just include a pack of Astra instead? They cost like nothing but perform generally really good...

Rockwell blades suck, yet the Rockwell 6S could be the best razor I've ever used. Why they include these uber craptastic blades with their killer razor is beyond me.

Reactions: clk
Rockwell blades suck, yet the Rockwell 6S could be the best razor I've ever used. Why they include these uber craptastic blades with their killer razor is beyond me.

Agree, I've used my 6S for three months now. It literally has killed my rad. No other razors is as enjoyable to use as this one anymore.
I would call it stupid to ship this great razor with a crappy blade.
Who wants to buy a Ferrari with a 100hp diesel engine?

I've got 6 shave's in with a Rockwell blade in a Gillette NEW short comb, and I don't see what's all the hubbub. They are sharp enough. I had some weapers the first couple shaves, but the blade has smoothed out since. I expect to get 1 or 2 more shaves. This won't score as one of the best for me, but it's far from the worst. I'd say it is solidly above average.

I just bought the Rockwell 6C, and these blades came with it. I'm new to DE shaving, so I bought some Personna blues based on reviews. They shredded my face! The Rockwell blades, on the other hand, gave me my best shaves. Next I am going to try Astra SPs and Feathers with the #2 plate, and see how sharper blades and milder settings suit me.

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have some that came with the 6s but never used then due to older bad reviews. After reading this. I'm glad I never used them.

Top Bottom