What's new

Rockwell Blade Combos?

@mjclark

You are the first to make a comparison of Rockwell plates, something very useful IMHO.

You said:

R4 = Gillette New
R5 = Shavecraft Tech
R6 = Mühle r41

Any idea how you can compare the R1, r2 and r3 plates?
I have never used a Shavecraft Tech, but I have an Ikon B1 Standard and I feel that that razor is more aggressive than even the number 6 plate of the 6s. I used to have an r41 and I would say that razor was a little bit more aggressive than the #6 plate, but close.

Every blade that I've put in my 6s has been good. Nacet, GSB, Astra SP, Personna Red, Feather, Crystal, 7 O'clock black, even a Supermax super platinum. (Probably in that order).

This morning I used a Perma-Sharp Super for the very first time in my 6s using plate R3 this morning. Immediately I noticed that while the blade is smooth and comfortable, it is not as efficient using R3 as a new Kai is. I was almost tempted to stop and move to R4 but decided to stick it out with R3.

I'll definitely move to R4 for tomorrow's shave with the Perma-Sharp but this is just another example of how different blades can make a noticeable difference in the type of shave we experience and can certainly influence our perception of the razor itself if not factored in.

This morning I used a Perma-Sharp Super for the very first time in my 6s using plate R3 this morning. Immediately I noticed that while the blade is smooth and comfortable, it is not as efficient using R3 as a new Kai is.
I got great shaves using a Kai blade in my Rockwell as well but not so much with Feather blades.

This morning I used a Perma-Sharp Super for the very first time in my 6s using plate R3 this morning. Immediately I noticed that while the blade is smooth and comfortable, it is not as efficient using R3 as a new Kai is. I was almost tempted to stop and move to R4 but decided to stick it out with R3.

I'll definitely move to R4 for tomorrow's shave with the Perma-Sharp but this is just another example of how different blades can make a noticeable difference in the type of shave we experience and can certainly influence our perception of the razor itself if not factored in.
Каi is wider.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola mit Tapatalk

Indeed!
I find that I'm now using R6 with every blade I use in my 6c. If I felt that was too much I could always go down a plate, but most sharp blades really sing on R6 imho. :001_smile

I only use a Rockwell, basically, on plate 4. I find GSB, Polsilver SI, Nacet and voskhods work really well. GSB and Polsilver work and feel best after the first shave and I find I can get many many shaves from a polsilver. I also get many shaved from a GSB but not as many as from a polsilver.

Astra SP works well. I just started using that blade, literally this week. What I find with an Astra is I have to change the angle of the razor or it is uncomfortably harsh. An Astra SP is less smooth and less forgiving than all previously mentioned blades, IMO. But, I get a fantastically smooth shave, almost BBS, with one pass so to passes and a touch up is utterly delightful. I can go and easy two days without shaving.

I don't count shaves. I use a blade until it feels like it needs to be changed. I used to count and get only 3 or 4 shaves per blade. Not any longer. I get several from all the blades I listed.

Top Bottom