What's new

rockwell 6s

but for travel, I have a dedicated 6S
Same here. The 6S is my travel razor. Dependable, durable, great shaver. I tend to use a Wolfman and Karve more at home (it's nice to have those choices), but the Rockwell 6s and 6c are the best value razors out there, imho. And by value I mean price + a fantastic shave. I recommend it to all as a first DE razor and as a potential grail razor.

well the 6s is here on my second shave with it now and im getting a divorce as i wanna marry it . also seems rockwell must have changed the people that make ther blades as the ones i got with this razor are far better than the ones i got with the 6c .
Congrats. And even if you decide to stay with your wife, the days when its 5 pm, you're getting ready for a formal evening event, and she tells you to get back in the bathroom and shave off the 5 o'clock shadow are over.

They have a mild or aggressive head but I wouldn't say its as "adjustable" as the 6c/s

With Game Changers, you get whatever gap and baseplate style you buy, and the other options are further purchases; it isn't "all in" like the Rockwell.

I bought the .68 SB thinking it "ought to be just like the Rockwell R5", because:

published Rockwell gaps said:
R1: 0.008" (0.20 mm)
R2: 0.014” (0.35 mm)
R3: 0.019” (0.48 mm)
R4: 0.024” (0.61 mm)
R5: 0.027” (0.69 mm)
R6: 0.031” (0.79 mm)

...but having tried both, it feels more like R4, which is no bad thing. I now prefer R4.

If you've made it as far as the Rockwell, diminishing returns have already set in, but as a result of only supporting one gap, the Game Changer base plates are thin and agile, which can be better under your nose.

Last edited:
I bought a 6S based on a recommendation, and was attracted to the customization feature. I couldn't be happier and now have two, thanks to the WCS sale at end of November. For someone new to shaving with a DE razor, the razor is easy to shave with, forgiving at least with the milder plates (I use R3 most of the time), and efficient. I don't have any issues getting under my nose, and the thing cleanly cuts a whisker beside my Adam's apple that bedeviled me when I used cartridge razors. I used to go through days catching that whisker on my shirt collar, but no more. :thumbup: I feel lucky to have gotten such good advice. Right now I have the spare 6S with the R4 up, so I have a two-razor 'rotation'.

My 6S showed up a few days ago and I just finished my first shave with it (R4, Nacet (3)) a little while ago. In my opinion the 6S smokes my Merkur 38C in every way: from build quality to shave quality I only wish I'd bought this razor sooner. I was pleasantly surprised at how beefy the handle on the 6S is because the 38C is a long-handle razor and I was unsure how I'd adapt to the shorter handle of the 6S. This proved not to be an issue. The handle on the 6S is definitely "grippier" than the barberpole and while that's a minor consideration I'm certainly not hating the more tactile feel of the 6S. I was just really hoping the 6S would pair well with the Nacet since they've worked so well for me in the past.

The first pass went great. Finding the right angle was no problem and it mowed down two out of three trouble spots I have (the underside of my jaw and a little pocket under my lower lip and above my chin) to a surprising degree, which was really, really nice. The 6S gave some audible feedback but not nearly as much as the 38C. After the second and third passes the zone under my nose was not quite 100% but probably could have been had I been willing to put in some extra time/effort. Overall, though, I was as close to a BBS shave as I think I've ever been, trouble spots included, and BBS is not something I actively pursue: I do three passes and call it good. Using the alum block gave very mild feedback and post-shave irritation was pretty much non-existant. In short, this was one of the best wet shaves I've yet had.

Since I am, generally speaking, a one razor, one soap, one aftershave sort of guy, the 38C will go into retirement and the 6S will definitely be my daily driver from here on on out. I plan on giving the R5 plate a test with my next shave, just out of curiosity, but the R4, I think I could definitely be happy with long term, at least with Nacet. Once I'm done with the current Nacet I'm tempted to see how the 6S gets along with a Kai Stainless... Probably using R2 or R3 plate, however.

I use plate 4 with a Feather blade and get outstanding two pass shaves. I suggest you go through all your blades again. You may find a different blade pairs better with the 6S.

Enjoy your new razor. I think you are going to be extremely happy.

I got my 6s with a Labor Day discount, free shipping (to UK), 105 blades, (yet to try!) for £67, or $89, and I’m a very happy bunny! I’d have paid at least £20 more buying it from UK based sellers. 😁

Since then I’ve used it far more than my others, usually on plates 4 or 5. My favourite blades work great in it - Feathers, Nacets, Perma-sharp, and lately, Kai and Bolzano. When I change razors for variety, I soon make my way back! 🙄

Congrats on your purchase, and here’s hoping you all have a happy Rockwell 6s Christmas! 🎄

With Game Changers, you get whatever gap and baseplate style you buy, and the other options are further purchases; it isn't "all in" like the Rockwell.

I bought the .68 SB thinking it "ought to be just like the Rockwell R5", because:

...but having tried both, it feels more like R4, which is no bad thing. I now prefer R4.

If you've made it as far as the Rockwell, diminishing returns have already set in, but as a result of only supporting one gap, the Game Changer base plates are thin and agile, which can be better under your nose.

The R4 base plate is my sweet spot. I can generally use it for the entire shave. If my neck is more sensitive, I flip it over to R2 for a nice irritation ATG pass.

After having used the 6S for a few shaves now I'm thinking I may have found my Shaving Nirvana. Using a (Personna) Crystal and the R4 plate was really, really good but just a tiny bit more aggressive than needed for three passes. So, I switched to the R3 plate which, while a touch less efficient, gave a shave so amazingly close and comfortable I was convinced I'd found the "sweet spot" because I am definitely willing to "sacrifice" a certain amount of efficiency for comfort... I'm ALL about the comfort when it comes to my shave.

I must say, though, the idea of using the R4 plate, then flipping it for the last ATG pass and touch-ups, is an excellent idea! :thumbsup:
Definitely going to try this on my next shave.

After having used the 6S for a few shaves now I'm thinking I may have found my Shaving Nirvana. Using a (Personna) Crystal and the R4 plate was really, really good but just a tiny bit more aggressive than needed for three passes. So, I switched to the R3 plate which, while a touch less efficient, gave a shave so amazingly close and comfortable I was convinced I'd found the "sweet spot" because I am definitely willing to "sacrifice" a certain amount of efficiency for comfort... I'm ALL about the comfort when it comes to my shave.

I must say, though, the idea of using the R4 plate, then flipping it for the last ATG pass and touch-ups, is an excellent idea! :thumbsup:
Definitely going to try this on my next shave.
I haven't tried the R4/R2 base flip but it seems like a sound idea. I am gonna give it a go in the near future. Funny you mention the Crystals, I ordered a tuck of Crystals but received the Israeli Reds instead. From the first shave the Personna IR's became my favorite blade. They work great in my 6S and every other razor that I have tried. One of these days I am gonna have to try a Crystal.

Top Bottom