What's new

rockwell 6s

I must say, though, the idea of using the R4 plate, then flipping it for the last ATG pass and touch-ups, is an excellent idea! :thumbsup:
Definitely going to try this on my next shave.
And today was the day! :w00t:

Being a bit of a Nancy Pants, though, I used the R3 plate for the first two passes and the R1 to finish the job (ATG). I certainly noticed a big difference between the R3 and the R1; with the R1 providing NO perceptible blade feel... At all. Zero. Zip. Nada. Like an ice cube on a glass sheet. There was some some audible feedback, so I knew the blade was there, but that was my only clue.

Anywho, the overall shave today was a little bit better than the one before so this technique rates as a sucess for me, at the very least as a proof-of-concept. The 6S is definitely better at getting my trouble spots and leaves them clean as the proverbial whistle.

On my next shave I'll put on my Big Boy Pants and try the R4/R3 plate combination. I know everyone will be on the edge of their seat waiting to hear about this, but you're just going to have to hold out for a couple days.

And today was the day! :w00t:

Being a bit of a Nancy Pants, though, I used the R3 plate for the first two passes and the R1 to finish the job (ATG). I certainly noticed a big difference between the R3 and the R1; with the R1 providing NO perceptible blade feel... At all. Zero. Zip. Nada. Like an ice cube on a glass sheet. There was some some audible feedback, so I knew the blade was there, but that was my only clue.

Anywho, the overall shave today was a little bit better than the one before so this technique rates as a sucess for me, at the very least as a proof-of-concept. The 6S is definitely better at getting my trouble spots and leaves them clean as the proverbial whistle.

On my next shave I'll put on my Big Boy Pants and try the R4/R3 plate combination. I know everyone will be on the edge of their seat waiting to hear about this, but you're just going to have to hold out for a couple days.
Today I did the first two passes with Personna IR and the R4 plate then flipped it to the R2 plate for the ATG pass and it worked well. I will try it some more but I think it could be a winner. Previously I just stuck with what ever plate that I was using for the whole shave.

Just had a minor "come to Jesus" shave/moment using the R3/R2 combination with Proraso Single Blade (Wood and Spice) soap. I use an alum block post-shave and, judging by its feedback, I nailed this shave. Overall, it just felt amaaazingly good. Like... Wow. Can't say it was BBS but that's never mattered to me. I'll take close and comfortable (emphasis on "comfortable") every day of the week and twice on Sunday over BBS - Full Stop. Finished things off with Proraso (white) ASB, which I've kind of gotten away from in lieu of Nivea Sensitive. I have forgotten how much I like the Proraso aftershave... Good stuff.

If shaves like the one I just got are repeatable, based on what I did today, I will say with some degree of certainty I have entered into Shaving Nirvana (sorry, Jesus.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom