What's new

Rockwell 6s vs Weber

I have both, and I'm lucky enough to have gotten a Weber PH with no "wavy blade" issue. Both are excellent razors, nicely made, with fine workmanship and of material that will outlast all of us. Shave wise, I slightly prefer the Weber, as I think it is better balanced. For me, the Rockwell is actually a bit too heavy to feel quite right in the hand. I would calibrate the Weber as about the equal of the #5 plate on the Rockwell. Both have a very nice combination of efficiency and comfort, which is what I seek in a razor, and both are favorites in my rotation. Either would be an excellent choice in a stainless DE, but of course, as has been pointed out, the Rockwell is much more readily available and comes quite bit less dear. Honestly, as much as I like my Weber, I don't think I'd be willing to pay current prices.

BTW, if you do get a Weber and it has the wavy blade defect, do a search on it and you can find a pretty easy DIY fix for that problem. Never could figure why Weber didn't deal with that issue more forthrightly, as it would have been pretty easy to do. As it was, their denial of these QC problems proved to be the demise of the company, which was really a shame.

I've found that I like the Rockwell a lot more once I put the smaller Weber bulldog handle on it. Better balance and weight for me.

I still have the Weber ARC and PH. Gifted the DLC to my brother. The Weber gives a great shave. I personally really don't feel there is much of a difference between the Weber and the Merkur HD (34C/G). I don't think this is mentioned enough. The heads are virtually identical and so is the shave. Nothing to do with stainless vs zamak comparisons. Stainless steel razors don't necessarily shave better than zamak because I paid more for them.

The Rockwell 6S gives me a better shave than the Weber. Smoother and closer as well from plates 4 and up. In fact I think the 6S shaves just as well or better than both my Wolfman SB and Timeless SB .68.

Interesting. I have a 34C, a Weber, and a Rockwell. For my three razors and my face the 34C is MUCH milder than the Weber. It's more like the Rockwell on 2 or 3. Whereas my particular Weber PH is about as aggressive as the Rockwell on 6.

It took me months to transition from the 34C to get a good shave with the Weber without tearing my face up!

This is not helping my internal debate of whether to keep my PH, or put it up and get a Rockwell...

Dang RAD enablers

Has anyone tried the new Fendrihan all-stainless steel head? I've got a SS handle I love already, but all my heads are zamak.

I don't want a head that is super mild. I already have enough of those, but a medium-agrression head would get my attention.
I have the older Frendrihan stainless head (combo open and closed comb) and it is not a mild shaver. I generally break it out for several days growth only. The closed side is actually more aggressive than the open side.

I see..
then keep the PH and buy the Rockwell later
or
keep the PH, buy the Rockwell for you, and a pair of shoes for her
:001_rolle

I wouldn't trade my Weber PH for a Rockwell 6S. I do like having them both, but if I had to only have one I would choose my Weber.

Look at all the 6S love on here. I have seen mixed reviews on them in the past. I've been looking at Ikon and ATT, but maybe Rockwell should be in the mix. I've also weighed Timeless, but that cost is awfully hard to justify.

The rockwell 6S is a very nice razor. It is very smooth, definitely smoother than my Weber PH. It just doesn't get quite as close, though it does still provide a very close shave. I'm happy to have both of them, I just wouldn't trade my Weber for a Rockwell. You can't buy them anymore new afterall!

A little update - tried my new Fendrihan MKII and it is pretty good. Nice handle, aggressive, but not excessively. All in all, I think it is a good alternative to Weber, which you can't buy anymore.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Quick update...took the plunge. Sold the PH and got a 6S. Miss the PH a little, but very happy with the 6S. I'd have to say it's a little smoother than the PH was (for me). Also, 6S behaves better with Gillette Silver Blue and 7 o'clock super platinum (Indian Black box) blades than the PH did.

6S design is definitely heftier than the PH due to the base plate design, but I think it curves the blade a little more for a smoother feel.

Now the only question is: what to do with the 1-4 plates? I've seen posts about using a top cap from a DE89 or R41, but visually, looks questionable at best.

YMMV.

No issues with the Rockwell here. Similar to the Weber on 4, but I prefer 5 or 6. However, I will grab the Weber before changing the plate on the Rockwell. :)

The Weber was the second non-vintage razor I purchased after the Merkur 180 and is a solid daily driver, wish I had got several to sell the excess off about now. I prefer the Weber bulldog handle over the Rockwell, but would advise -not- bothering to pay pver $100 to get one instead of a Rockwell. No idea what they go for now, but I am sure it isn't $30.

That said, I would not part with my Weber for that much if someone offered (maybe twice that to get a Timeless, ha ha). I would trade the Rockwell, though, but then again, I have a few strainless steel razors and various options in terms of aggression.

Bottom line: if you want stainless and don't have the budget for the ATT or similar, Rockwell is a great option. I have found lots of people who call X razor the holy grail and have found that I prefer having several options, and that things others consider 'the one' don't always work for me!

Quick update...took the plunge. Sold the PH and got a 6S. Miss the PH a little, but very happy with the 6S. I'd have to say it's a little smoother than the PH was (for me). Also, 6S behaves better with Gillette Silver Blue and 7 o'clock super platinum (Indian Black box) blades than the PH did.

6S design is definitely heftier than the PH due to the base plate design, but I think it curves the blade a little more for a smoother feel.

Now the only question is: what to do with the 1-4 plates? I've seen posts about using a top cap from a DE89 or R41, but visually, looks questionable at best.
The biggest benefit to the system is finding what works best for you. Put the plates that you don't use in the box and keep them nice, or offer them up for sale or trade.

I'm in the UK and consider myself very fortunate to own a Weber PH with a Bulldog Handle that is spot on with blade alignment, without a trace of the dreaded "wavy blade". It was shipped to me some time ago and I have always used it on a regular basis. It is a fairly mild razor, I would say on a par with a 34C in terms of aggression, but the Weber PH is just so much smoother - in fact I can't ever remember even getting a single nick from it over the years, just an easy bbs, in two passes with a few touch ups.

I have used my Rockwell 6S with every plate now and can get a great bbs with every one apart from the no 1 plate. It is a beautifully smooth shaver.

To have to choose one would be very difficult, because they are both superb razors, but if forced to I would keep the Weber PH, but only because they are getting a bit thin on the ground now, particularly in the UK.

So, I sold my Weber for a small fortune. It was my favorite razor at the time, but the amount of money i got for it was ludicrous, so I sold it. I got a Fendrihan, a Mamba, and a Wunderbar and a ATT Slant and... you get the point. The Fendrihan, while having different gap/exposure/etc., shaves very similar to the Weber. Mine has no blade alignment issues. If you want a Weber-like shave at a Zamak like price, you really can't go wrong.

So, I sold my Weber for a small fortune. It was my favorite razor at the time, but the amount of money i got for it was ludicrous, so I sold it. I got a Fendrihan, a Mamba, and a Wunderbar and a ATT Slant and... you get the point. The Fendrihan, while having different gap/exposure/etc., shaves very similar to the Weber. Mine has no blade alignment issues. If you want a Weber-like shave at a Zamak like price, you really can't go wrong.

Which Fendrihan razor did you get?

Top Bottom