What's new

Rockwell 6s vs Weber

Hello Gentlemen,

I was wondering what your preference is for those who have owned both?

Aside from the difference in prices, now that Weber is no longer making razor heads, what provides a better shave for you?

I'm looking at buying one but not sure what to go for.

Adjustability is not so much a concern for me - I find I usually find my favourite plate or setting and stick to it. I would be curious how agressive you would rate a Weber too.

I suppose, as everyone is different, it would be useful to know what other razors you like, as a comparison. I'm more familiar with vintage razors than modern though.

I'd advise you against Weber. They were on of the first makers of stainless steel razors, yes, but they were plagued by quality issues - that's one of the causes they don't make heads anymore.

Besides, Weber razors are now somewhat of a collector's items, do they're pricey.

So I recommend you to go for Rockwell. Good, solid razor with few changeable plates, and good quality.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

They're both really excellent razors. I've recently been using my Weber PH quite a bit and really can't fault it for efficiency and smoothness. Having said that, I've also been very impressed by the Rockwell 6S, and it doesn't have the potential quality problems associated with the Weber. As Mougrim said, the 6S is also likely to be cheaper. So, while both would be a good choice for a stainless steel razor, the 6S is probably the safer one.

Both terrific razors. But for my money I would recommend the Weber if you can get one of the older models which seemed to have fewer issues.

I've been on a 'run' with stainless DEs lately and finally added a Rockwell 6S to the stable. At first I was put off by the finish which I've seen described by one member here who liked it as 'industrial.' Well the first shave with a Feather and the # 5 plate was really nice. Two pass bbs.
I used various razors for a couple of weeks and came back to the Rockwell last night. Decided to use one of the Swedish steel blades that come in a 5 pack with the razor. I chose # 3 plate this time and was very pleased with the shave and with the blade. Really nice and I plan on getting a 100 pack.
Best of all, now that it has been wet a couple of times I see the R6S in the stand and I like the 'industrial' finish quite a bit juxtaposed against the brushed and polished DEs that are standing nearby. I haven't shaved with a Weber in my long life, but I highly recommend the Rockwell.

When the Weber was readily available the main draw and the reason that I recommended it was that it was a stainless steel razor for $70. It was a deal at that price. Toward the end of their run some problems with the machinery was encountered and a lot of faulty razors were produced. They then decided to call it quits.

When these razors were available at the $70 price they were an excellent buy, but if someone were able to spend $200 on a razor there were better options out there. Now that they are selling for many times their initial cost there are still better options out there for that kind of money. If you want to spend a couple hundred dollars on a razor then get a Timeless.

So you're question is basically "Should I buy a Weber, a razor that was the best value years ago when it was $70 but now sells for many times it's initial asking price or should I buy the Rockwell that is currently the best value in an all stainless steel razor for it's current price around the $90 mark?" Given that choice why buy the one with the inflated price? I'd get the Rockwell.

Oh, and I remember about Fendrihan all-stainless steel razors. IMO, they're current "Weber". They have new version of a head, which is less aggressive, and you can get it with a cool SS handle for 40 bucks.

Oh, and I remember about Fendrihan all-stainless steel razors. IMO, they're current "Weber". They have new version of a head, which is less aggressive, and you can get it with a cool SS handle for 40 bucks.

Have one on the way. I've never tried the Weber, but that is exactly what interested me in the Fendrihan MK II.

The Rockwell is an unbelievably great razor though, smooth and efficient. With the right blade/setting you can get an irritationless BBS shave seven days a week. This is no exaggeration. Feather on 4 or Astra at 5 are my sweet spots.

Didn't much care for the Rockwell branded blades. For me they are closer on the spectrum to Derby/Dorco, which are really great blades, just not so much for me in this razor.

I've never tried to the Rockwell, but I can attest to the poor QC issues with the Weber. I ordered one a few years ago to have it come with the head having an asymmetrical top cap that cause the blade to skew and warp. Completely unusable. I sent it back to them, only to have it returned with the exact same problem. It is almost as if they didn't do a thing for a repair, then just reshipped it back to me.

I sent a nicely worded and calm email detailing my problem, only to have it responded with complete nastiness. Saying I must have dropped it, I will not be getting a replacement, and that all their items are hand inspected before shipping them out. I tried to explained the situation, but it was no use. I got no response after that.

I will never buy from that company again.

Has anyone tried the new Fendrihan all-stainless steel head? I've got a SS handle I love already, but all my heads are zamak.

I don't want a head that is super mild. I already have enough of those, but a medium-agrression head would get my attention.

Has anyone tried the new Fendrihan all-stainless steel head? I've got a SS handle I love already, but all my heads are zamak.

I don't want a head that is super mild. I already have enough of those, but a medium-agrression head would get my attention.

See this thread. New Fendrihan Stainless PSA

Seems like the MK II is a mild razor. You could always get the more aggressive first version for US$35 (open and closed comb) and then get the new stainless head for a grand total of $65.

The Weber PH and Rockwell 6S are two of my favorite razors.

For me the Rockwell is a bit smoother, even on a 6. The Weber has more blade exposure, and its easier to get a BBS but it also takes a bit more skill to get it without irritation.

Because of the blade exposure its a bit easier to get under the lip all the way up to the nose with the Weber, but I've gained skill with the Rockwell and can get it just fine now. The Weber is also a bit easier to use for sideburns and edging also because of the more blade exposure.

I can also say that I prefer the Weber Bulldog handle on both razors. For me the Rockwell is a bit better balanced and I get better shaves with the Weber Bulldog handle than I do with the stock Rockwell handle.

From my experiences I would recommend both.

I can't comment on the Weber but since I purchased my Rockwell in July of 2016 I've not used another razor with the exception of bringing my 34c on a weekend trip.
Well made, solid stainless steel and the blade has never yet been misaligned for me.
Honestly I can't say a single bad thing about it.

Have one on the way. I've never tried the Weber, but that is exactly what interested me in the Fendrihan MK II.

The Rockwell is an unbelievably great razor though, smooth and efficient. With the right blade/setting you can get an irritationless BBS shave seven days a week. This is no exaggeration. Feather on 4 or Astra at 5 are my sweet spots.

Didn't much care for the Rockwell branded blades. For me they are closer on the spectrum to Derby/Dorco, which are really great blades, just not so much for me in this razor.
Me too... Have one on the way, because I curious ;)

And your choice of blades/plates in Rockwell razor is similar to mine. I use plate 4 with Astra and Feather. Also... I can recommend you Treet Platinum blades for Rockwell - they pretty good.

I have both, and I'm lucky enough to have gotten a Weber PH with no "wavy blade" issue. Both are excellent razors, nicely made, with fine workmanship and of material that will outlast all of us. Shave wise, I slightly prefer the Weber, as I think it is better balanced. For me, the Rockwell is actually a bit too heavy to feel quite right in the hand. I would calibrate the Weber as about the equal of the #5 plate on the Rockwell. Both have a very nice combination of efficiency and comfort, which is what I seek in a razor, and both are favorites in my rotation. Either would be an excellent choice in a stainless DE, but of course, as has been pointed out, the Rockwell is much more readily available and comes quite bit less dear. Honestly, as much as I like my Weber, I don't think I'd be willing to pay current prices.

BTW, if you do get a Weber and it has the wavy blade defect, do a search on it and you can find a pretty easy DIY fix for that problem. Never could figure why Weber didn't deal with that issue more forthrightly, as it would have been pretty easy to do. As it was, their denial of these QC problems proved to be the demise of the company, which was really a shame.

Surprised to hear some of the comments about the Weber. I agree that they sell for double or more their original price but they remain my all time favourite razor hands down and I have used close to 2 dozen over the years. I have bought more than one razor in the $150+ range and sold them in favour of my DLC and PH, which remain the only razors in my den except for an Aristocrat JR and and iKon slant head, both of which I would sell before the Weber. Of course razors are a very personal thing. But the Weber is the only razor that has ever given me consistently smooth, close and irritation-free shaves.

I still have the Weber ARC and PH. Gifted the DLC to my brother. The Weber gives a great shave. I personally really don't feel there is much of a difference between the Weber and the Merkur HD (34C/G). I don't think this is mentioned enough. The heads are virtually identical and so is the shave. Nothing to do with stainless vs zamak comparisons. Stainless steel razors don't necessarily shave better than zamak because I paid more for them.

The Rockwell 6S gives me a better shave than the Weber. Smoother and closer as well from plates 4 and up. In fact I think the 6S shaves just as well or better than both my Wolfman SB and Timeless SB .68.

Top Bottom