What's new

Rockwell 6s vs Karve CB vs Razorock GC

Rockwell 6s vs Karve CB vs Razorock GC

• Total voters
Hi guys. I just received a Karve CB after months of anticipation. I have been using my Razorock GC as a daily driver for about a year and my Rockwell 6s for a few years prior to that. At similar price points and adjustability options, I love all 3. I have a favorite, but curious what everyone else thinks.

I have a bunch, including the Rockwell 6S (R3), the Feather AS-D2 and the new Occam's DE razor with the scallop plate. I now use BIC blades and they are all good to go. I rotate often.

I haven't voted, because of the three I only have the 6S (which works almost perfectly for me on R4 or R5).

Just bookmarking, to see what else there is with a ~ 0.69mm blade gap that I might like as much, or better.

This is tough. My vote was for the GC .84. I have never used a Karve, so take that with a grain of salt. I like my 6c, but find that my sweet spot would be somewhere between the R4 and R5 plates. The GC falls perfectly within the sweet spot.

Thank you all for your responses. I have a number of razors that get used (and some that don’t). I seem to see these 3 discussed often and given the price points, I feel they are in a similar class. Of course, favoring a razor does not speak to your technique. For me, the Rockwell is a bit clunky. I love my GC .84. The slim head design, the blade exposure and of course the original radio knob handle are a few of the reasons why. I recently received my Karve with plates c and d. It’s been an interesting go trying to find the plate I like and angle. I believe these plates have neutral glad exposure which make it so much different than the GC. Had a great shave with it today though. I feel it may be eeking my GC out of first place, but the road has not been “smooth” (pun intended)

I didn't vote because of the three I've only used the RR GC. I have the OC and really like it. I rotate the RR GC OC with a Gillette New Deluxe and a Schone OC. I had been chomping at the bit for a Karve and almost pulled the trigger but something stopped me. I wouldn't mine having one but more razors are no longer something that calls to me. I'm happy with what I have. Now my thing is drums and cymbals. The money I would spend on a razor is now allocated for a nice 17" or 18" Zildjian crash cymbal. :001_unsur

I've got the GC .84 (in SB, OC, and JAWS) and the Rockwell 6s. Man, what a tough call to choose one - glad I don't have to do that in real life LOL I have other razors but these are the only two on my "ready" shelf next to the sink; the others are in a drawer. I love both of them.

I voted for the 6s here because it is more versatile. I usually use the 4 plate for an every other day shave, but if I have to do a next-day shave, I can drop down to 3 plate for comfort. Or 6 plate if I have a less sharp blade to try out, and so on.

However, I agree with an above poster that the GC .84 SB is between a 4 and 5 plate, which is generally perfect for my preferences. The GC84 SB covers my needs 95 % of the time, and when I'm feeling frisky I can break out the OC.

I like the hand feel of the GC 84 a bit better - more nimble, smaller head, etc, but I do also like the feel of the bulkier 6s in a different, clunkier-but-still-cool, way.

I rarely cut or nick myself with the GC, but it's basically unheard of for me to get ANY irritation, cuts or drama with the 6s. It's the king of smooth.

It's kind of a toss up for me LOL They are both tied for first. I was going to buy a Karve at one point but never got around to it. Maybe one of these days...

Last edited:
I've got the GC .84 (in SB, OC, and JAWS) and the Rockwell 6s. Man, what a tough call to choose one - glad I don't have to do that in real life LOL I have other razors but these are the only two on my "ready" shelf next to the sink; the others are in a drawer. I love both of them.

I voted for the 6s here because it is more versatile. I usually use the 4 plate for an every other day shave, but if I have to do a next-day shave, I can drop down to 3 plate for comfort. Or 6 plate if I have a less sharp blade to try out, and so on.

However, I agree with an above poster that the GC .84 SB is between a 4 and 5 plate, which is perfect for my needs most of the time. The GC84 covers my needs 95 % of the time.

I like the feel of the GC 84 a bit better - more nimble, smaller head, etc, but I do also like the feel of the bulkier 6s.

I rarely cut or nick myself with the GC, but it's basically unheard of for me to get ANY irritation, cuts or drama with the 6s. It's the king of smooth.

Kind of a toss up for me LOL They are both tied for first, basically.
We live in a beautiful time for wet shaving!!! I love all 3!!!!

For me:
#1 Karve 3” brass CB, OC-C and OC-D plates. I would like a Karve option for a skinnier brass handle, or a lighter brass handle that was bored out.

#2 RazoRock GC 84-OC and JAWS. I use them with short, skinny Ti handles.

I sold my Rockwell 6C, the head was too bulky for my taste. I have a 6S handle, but use it very seldom.

I did throw on a different handle as I think the stock one is pretty ugly.
I agree the 6S handle looks like something out of the tool box, but on the other hand, I've grown to like the ultra-grippy knurling. I've not found a "good-looking" handle that feels as non-slip as that.

Anyway, sounds like there's no compelling reason for me to try the other two razors in this thread.

Thank you all for your responses. I have a number of razors that get used (and some that don’t). I seem to see these 3 discussed often and given the price points, I feel they are in a similar class. Of course, favoring a razor does not speak to your technique. For me, the Rockwell is a bit clunky. I love my GC .84. The slim head design, the blade exposure and of course the original radio knob handle are a few of the reasons why. I recently received my Karve with plates c and d. It’s been an interesting go trying to find the plate I like and angle. I believe these plates have neutral glad exposure which make it so much different than the GC. Had a great shave with it today though. I feel it may be eeking my GC out of first place, but the road has not been “smooth” (pun intended)
Karve states the C plate blade exposure at + .09mm and the D plate at + .13mm.

Karve states the C plate blade exposure at + .09mm and the D plate at + .13mm.
I remember seeing it before but can’t find it now. Do you know the exposure for the gc .68? RR just shows it’s positive and that it increases by like .05mm on the .84. Interesting.

I can't think of another razor maker, other than Karve, that give the mm of exposure. In most cases they will only state negative, neutral or positive. One I asked said because of the variation in blades they couldn't give a accurate number.

I appreciate Karve's willingness to give the exposure numbers to help me gauge where my comfort zone is. To date I have 8 Karve plates B-E in both OC & SB. This has really helped me understand the relationship between gap and exposure. There are 3 razors that kind of illustrate the extremes:

Rockwell 6C/6S: As their plates get more aggressive the gaps get larger but the exposure gets less. I find it gives me a good safe shave but boring to use.

Timeless: .95mm gap but no exposure other than they say it's positive I think. My OC gives me a great close, safe and smooth shave

Blackbird: .68mm gap (I think) and they only say positive exposure. My OC also gives me a great close (even closer than the Timeless), safe and smooth shave. I feel more blade with this razor and more sport car like.

I have learned that I must like positive blade exposure, because I can feel when my angle is correct. I have also learned that gap and exposure are both important for a close shave.

I have the Rockwell 6 S & GM 0.84. Love both, but if I had to choose, I would go with the Rockwell because of the "adjustability" factor. I'm on the wait list for the Karve aluminum, so I will hold off on my final decision for a while.

Top Bottom