What's new

Rockwell 6s Vs. 6c

Greetings,

so I finally decided to give wet shaving a last chance before moving to electric shavers, reason being -- ingrown hair, mostly on the chin area & mentolabial crease (?) it almost never happens with electric razors as they don't cut deep enough, and I am 100% certain now that it's related to how deep the cut is, as specific electric ones that tend to cut deep also create the same situation. You may be thinking, why do I insist on wet shaving? I simply love the process, it relaxes me.

I hear that the 6c heads tend to be more aggressive (I wouldn't want that) than the 6s ones, any truth to that? I am looking for the shave that will leave the most stubble.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Differences are minor. The 6s is made of steel and some 15g heavier, the chrome head plate glides with less drag. The price is quite different and there is a sale right now.

Have you tried a Henson AL13 or Game Changer. 68 or 84 SB with a shaving GEL yet?

I think a different lather might help you more than another razor.

Greetings,

so I finally decided to give wet shaving a last chance before moving to electric shavers, reason being -- ingrown hair, mostly on the chin area & mentolabial crease (?) it almost never happens with electric razors as they don't cut deep enough, and I am 100% certain now that it's related to how deep the cut is, as specific electric ones that tend to cut deep also create the same situation. You may be thinking, why do I insist on wet shaving? I simply love the process, it relaxes me.

I hear that the 6c heads tend to be more aggressive (I wouldn't want that) than the 6s ones, any truth to that? I am looking for the shave that will leave the most stubble.
Have never heard anything about the 6C being more aggressive than the 6C. I've heard some people say the 6C is smoother than the 6s due to the Chrome plating. The 6S is stainless, heavier & should be more durable. I own a 6C have no interest in the 6S. My advice would be to buy from a retailer that will let you return a razor you don't like. In the States on Amazon the 6C & 6S are returnable.

Differences are minor. The 6s is made of steel and some 15g heavier, the chrome head plate glides with less drag. The price is quite different and there is a sale right now.

Have you tried a Henson AL13 or Game Changer. 68 or 84 SB with a shaving GEL yet?

I think a different lather might help you more than another razor.
This is the first time anyone suggests me this. Out of the two, which one has the biggest 'distance from the face' for the razor? (I assume Henson mild is the one to look for? has a few versions) for lather, I have tried all kinds of creams, soaps, gels, with preshave, alum, aftershave balms, lotions etc. no change.

Last edited:
The 6S is built like a tank, looks that way and works that way and will stay that way after maybe a 100 years. plus it is boldly stamped Rockwell in an industrial way on the side

All 6S colors have a matte finish which some find to have a drag, but doesn't interfere in the Uber shave quality .

The 6C feels smooth to move as it has the chrome finish but shaves the same. I've had two top caps go bust when the zamak threads stripped. I would always stay away from Zamak, even if it's half the price of the stainless steel. The double you pay for the SS is insurance for the price you pay for the 6C go down the drain as the 6C threads will strip one day, maybe later of you care for it but they will.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
This is the first time anyone suggests me this. Out of the two, which one has the biggest 'distance from the face' for the razor? (I assume Henson mild is the one to look for? has a few versions) for lather, I have tried all kinds of creams, soaps, gels, with preshave, alum, aftershave balms, lotions etc. no change.
There are two catches.

1. Both razors can cut very close and achieve a BBS.
2. Your impression is that cutting close causes you ingrown hair. I suspect easy inflammation of small injuries are probably even more to blame.

Theoretical solutions:
a.) So yeah, a Philips OneBlade doesn't cut close, it always leaves a low stubble standing.
b.) negative exposure, see explanation below

But what causes you irritation with the wet shave with a DE, is it cutting close or... rather not your skin reacting badly to contact with the blade? WHICH WILL ALWAYS happen, regardless of exposure...

I don't know which razors you have used so far either, but some ideas besides razors first:

c.)You can try:

0.) No prep or extra stuff on your skin before shaving except some water, applied by hand or with a sprayer
0.) (extended edition): Leave your skin alone, don't overdo.
1.) cold shaving instead of warm shaving. Does the trick for a lot of people.
2.) shaving gel, maybe gilette sensitive. Used it yesterday, it's foaming glycerine, little else, not even much or parfumed at all.
3.) use a burning alcoholic after shave instead of a balm or use JUST water.
4.) soft micro fiber towel

When it is really blade contact with your skin that causes problems, you might want to check blade EXPOSURE of your favorite razors. Throw some names of razors in you used, this forum knows the details! :)

What you want to avoid: POSITIVE exposure
What you should try: NEUTRAL or even NEGATIVE exposure

Now bear with me, I am thinking of razors with negative exposure that aren't premium expensive. But I have trouble finding one right now... maybe someone here can chime in?

The Henson AL-13 has neutral exposure, the Tatara Masamune negative, Razorock Game Changer .68 is also slightly negative.

My idea is, if you want to test this "don't cut too close thing" which I am afraid isn't quite the answer tbh, you will want to try one of these. I hope someone can come up with a cheaper razor for that attempt than the Game Changer .68...

Voshkod, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 7 o'clock Black all seem very thickly coated, this might help, too.

Add some more info what you used and tried, let the forum think together with you. We just can't look into your mind and memory.

0.) No prep or extra stuff on your skin before shaving except some water, applied by hand or with a sprayer
0.) (extended edition): Leave your skin alone, don't overdo.
1.) cold shaving instead of warm shaving. Does the trick for a lot of people.
2.) shaving gel, maybe gilette sensitive. Used it yesterday, it's foaming glycerine, little else, not even much or parfumed at all.
3.) use a burning alcoholic after shave instead of a balm or use JUST water.
4.) soft micro fiber towel
I have tried everything, literally (or close at least :p) it's a process of a good 4-5 years. My current razor is a merkur futur, I always use it at lvl 1 and with astra superior stainless, that or a gillette rubie. My personal favorites. I have to give it a go, I have a budget on the side for a new razor, I don't really mind the price. I keep hearing more about Henson and ingrown hair than the masamune, something about rattling etc. henson does that better. I don't know, kinda lost.

If you buy a Henson directly from the Henson website it's returnable. I'm not a fan of light razors so I've never bother to try the Al13. And I have no interest in spending $249 for the titanium version.

I used to have a 6C and just got a 6S last week. I can already tell that I like the 6S more since the handle has more grip and I like the way the matte bead blasted finish feels on my face. While the 6C is a prettier razor, I'm really liking the industrial look of the 6S, which is charming in its own way. The 6S just feels like a more robust razor, too.

With all that said, I still think the 6C is a great razor, but for me, the 6S is worth the extra cost.

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
My current razor is a merkur futur, I always use it at lvl 1 and (...)
Sir! I am fainting. You probably read (or rather not?) about blade chatter here, micro vibrations of the blade if it isn't clamped down much and bending a lot. Well, for the Futur, regardless if it is dialed up or down, the vibrations are not micro anymore, but very pronounced. It is a noisy razor, that's the blade and resonance producing these sounds.

So, changing the razor is extremely likely to help you. No kidding. The Futur isn't the smoothest razor per se, not even on setting one. I am not prone to ingrown hairs and this whole "blade chatter" thing is not a problem for ME, but many people with ingrown hair swear that this is the root of the problem. And I am pretty sure the Futur isn't the razor for you.

The Henson AL-13 or the Game Changer .68 (though honestly, the .84 with a safety bar is still mild enough) or the Masamune will serve you well. Don't take a DE89 or a Merkur standard razor: They are mild, but not as rigidly clamped as the models suggested above. The same applies to the Rockwell 6C/S razors: They have great geometry, but are not clamping the blade too much.

Right away coming to my mind, the Razorock BBS models also clamp extremely well. More in a "pressed in the cap" style, but the blade doesn't vibrate/make noise much.

If the Henson doesn't work... hum. That's where I would throw the towel.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
If you buy a Henson directly from the Henson website it's returnable. I'm not a fan of light razors so I've never bother to try the Al13. And I have no interest in spending $249 for the titanium version.
Yeah, I hear you. The Henson is NOT my favorite razor, despite me recommending him.
That's true for me. I like the more beastly and aggressive razors.

But it might be the right razor for him! I think there is a lot of evidence pointing in that direction.

I don't like aluminum as material for razors and the shave of the Henson, even the Medium version, is just too friggin mild for me. But it delivers results and might save vorpal from his ingrown hair problem.

Yeah, I hear you. The Henson is NOT my favorite razor, despite me recommending him.
That's true for me. I like the more beastly and aggressive razors.

But it might be the right razor for him! I think there is a lot of evidence pointing in that direction.

I don't like aluminum as material for razors and the shave of the Henson, even the Medium version, is just too friggin mild for me. But it delivers results and might save vorpal from his ingrown hair problem.
The beauty of buying a Henson directly from Henson is the 30 day back money guarantee. I might even try one down the road.

Sir! I am fainting. You probably read (or rather not?)
Actually, this was new to me, I was going to look further into this but lo and behold -- you enlightened me! Despite me saying earlier that price isn't a problem, well, it actually might be. The damn masamune costs nearly 200$ where I live! (ordering it from outside the country would be even worse) BUT the Henson mild is going for 75$ only. I think I should go for it. Thanks, this community is full of saints.

p.s. I wonder if the color will matter, they have it all, aircraft aluminum and black is what I'm interested in, any chance that the aircraft one 'might' glide better? I don't read anything about the finish changing depending on the color.. but still..

Greetings,

I have the 6S, it was my first razor and it is a really good one. I have never tried the 6C but in my mind aggression levels should be the same with both. If you are looking for a less close shave, then the R1 or R2 plates should provide the less close shaves that you are looking for. As a daily shaver I found that the R4 plate to be my sweet spot. Since it sounds like this is your last try with wet shaving, I would recommend the 6C if you don't wish to make a big investment and aren't sure if wet shaving with a DE razor will work for you. If you discover that the 6C does work for you then you should have many years of shaving with the 6C before it fails you and you can then upgrade to the 6S which should last a lifetime + for you. If money isn't a concern get the 6S. I have never regretted spending more for higher quality.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I wonder if the color will matter (...)
No, this is no coating of any kind. It's anodized aluminum. Chrome, polished metal, machined metal and titanium glide indeed differently, but this one is anodized aluminum and the color won't change anything.
(Only orks believe red goes faster, always! :) )

This said: Good luck with your Henson!

Top Bottom