What's new

Rockwell 6S versus new Henson AL13 mild

This shaving thing is so technique and skin specific it can be hard to draw comparisons. I have now been shaving daily with the Henson mild, and it is only getting better for me as I learn the pressure etc. There are just some spots that work so much better on my face with this razor.
My shave buddy Thomas bought a Henson medium and was so amazed about it that he sold everything (karve, wolf, timeless ect) Good for him (and good for me, I bought the timeless for peanuts) 😉

Shavepals:

I have been wet shaving for 9 years, and my technique is pretty good. I have been using the Rockwell 6s for many years now. It is a fine razor. I had been using plate 4 for years, but find that I have some sensitive areas that are just hard to get right with the plate 4. When I go for it and get BBS, I sometimes pay with irritation and some weepers. So recently I switched to plate 3. I find it harder to reach BBS, but I am satisfied with DFS+. I shave pretty much every day. So it has been performing pretty well. I have decided that a milder razor makes sense for my face.

I was intrigued by the Henson AL13, and at the fairly low price point thought I would give it a try. The razor has a reputation of being perhaps too mild. Today I loaded an Astra SP, my blade of choice all the time, and went for it with my usual Proraso red cream. The shave was nearly effortless. Took a minute to get used to how light the razor is, but you find the angle immediately. There is not much feedback, just a little, but that is a good thing since it is really just shaving. I found the shave was terrific, and nearly BBS with my usual 3 pass shave. I will use this for a while and see what I think, but I suspect I will switch to this permanently. Very interesting indeed. The way the blade is held, and the shape of the razor make it easy to get the angle. I suspect many could get good shaves with this with less effort and technique.

I am relatively new to DE shaving, decades of carts before.

Initially, Henson was my 1st choice when I am about to shift into DE shaving.
However, I went for Rockwell 6S due to the good reviews I am reading and various plates options.
I have no idea what aggressiveness would suit me so I went with all these in mind.

However, Henson always piqued my interest. Like you, I am most comfortable shaving with R3 & R4 plate with sensitive skin.
That neck in between lower chin and Adam's apple is very challenging for me. Its where I get irritation most of the time.

How do you compare Henson mild with Rockwell, which plate is the equivalent in terms of smoothness and aggressiveness?
I am curios to try myself, about to pull the trigger but not sure whether to go for Henson mild or Henson medium.

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Both razors make me just sad. For the Rockwell its the drab finish and overall mildness and for the Henson that it simply is too mild and the locked in angle plus low weight.

Thankfully the forum is full of alternative suggestions! :)

I am relatively new to DE shaving, decades of carts before.

Initially, Henson was my 1st choice when I am about to shift into DE shaving.
However, I went for Rockwell 6S due to the good reviews I am reading and various plates options.
I have no idea what aggressiveness would suit me so I went with all these in mind.

However, Henson always piqued my interest. Like you, I am most comfortable shaving with R3 & R4 plate with sensitive skin.
That neck in between lower chin and Adam's apple is very challenging for me. Its where I get irritation most of the time.

How do you compare Henson mild with Rockwell, which plate is the equivalent in terms of smoothness and aggressiveness?
I am curios to try myself, about to pull the trigger but not sure whether to go for Henson mild or Henson medium.
I have a Henson mild that I really like. I bought, and returned, a 6s as while it was a very nice razor I didn't feel like it brought anything unique to the table over my other favorite razors (Merkur 34, Progress, ASD2).

I would say that the Henson mild shaves similarly to the 6s with a plate #2, or maybe #3.

For me a big difference is in the handling. I always thought that I preferred heavier razors until I tried the Henson. The light weight and handle design make it very maneuverable, and this might help you with the problem area on your neck that you describe. The Henson handles much more like a cartridge razor than the 6s.

I think you made a great and very logical decision in picking the 6s as a first DE. You might prefer the Henson and the only way to know for sure is to try one. I've seen them sold used for around $40-50, and they can be picked up in sales like Black Friday for 20% off.

I think you made a great and very logical decision in picking the 6s as a first DE. You might prefer the Henson and the only way to know for sure is to try one.

Thanks, guess you are right. Bought one myself AL13 mild to compare.

But if I saw your reply a little tad earlier I could have bought AL13 medium. I am shaving R3 / R4 plates on Rockwell 6s.

Anyways, in case I would not like it I can always pass it on to my daughter for her leg shaving.

IMG_8677.jpeg

Top Bottom