What's new

Rockwell 6S versus new Henson AL13 mild

Shavepals:

I have been wet shaving for 9 years, and my technique is pretty good. I have been using the Rockwell 6s for many years now. It is a fine razor. I had been using plate 4 for years, but find that I have some sensitive areas that are just hard to get right with the plate 4. When I go for it and get BBS, I sometimes pay with irritation and some weepers. So recently I switched to plate 3. I find it harder to reach BBS, but I am satisfied with DFS+. I shave pretty much every day. So it has been performing pretty well. I have decided that a milder razor makes sense for my face.

I was intrigued by the Henson AL13, and at the fairly low price point thought I would give it a try. The razor has a reputation of being perhaps too mild. Today I loaded an Astra SP, my blade of choice all the time, and went for it with my usual Proraso red cream. The shave was nearly effortless. Took a minute to get used to how light the razor is, but you find the angle immediately. There is not much feedback, just a little, but that is a good thing since it is really just shaving. I found the shave was terrific, and nearly BBS with my usual 3 pass shave. I will use this for a while and see what I think, but I suspect I will switch to this permanently. Very interesting indeed. The way the blade is held, and the shape of the razor make it easy to get the angle. I suspect many could get good shaves with this with less effort and technique.

That's basically what I've been finding as well. It just seems to work. There's no flash to it. There's no mystery. It just does the job. I've seen a bunch of posts knocking it for not being able to change the angle, or the fact that it's light, but what does it really matter if it gives you the results you want?

I've been surprised by it and it's abilities. I've been doing an apples to oranges comparison between it and the GC .68 and .84P and letting my wife call the results. So far she's picked the Henson side for all four shaves.

This isn't to say that the GameChanger is a bad razor, rather I'm chalking it up to my less refined technique. The Henson just seems easier for me to use.

Also have a look at the Henson Razor Club for more discussion on them.

Shavepals:

I have been wet shaving for 9 years, and my technique is pretty good. I have been using the Rockwell 6s for many years now. It is a fine razor. I had been using plate 4 for years, but find that I have some sensitive areas that are just hard to get right with the plate 4. When I go for it and get BBS, I sometimes pay with irritation and some weepers. So recently I switched to plate 3. I find it harder to reach BBS, but I am satisfied with DFS+. I shave pretty much every day. So it has been performing pretty well. I have decided that a milder razor makes sense for my face.

I was intrigued by the Henson AL13, and at the fairly low price point thought I would give it a try. The razor has a reputation of being perhaps too mild. Today I loaded an Astra SP, my blade of choice all the time, and went for it with my usual Proraso red cream. The shave was nearly effortless. Took a minute to get used to how light the razor is, but you find the angle immediately. There is not much feedback, just a little, but that is a good thing since it is really just shaving. I found the shave was terrific, and nearly BBS with my usual 3 pass shave. I will use this for a while and see what I think, but I suspect I will switch to this permanently. Very interesting indeed. The way the blade is held, and the shape of the razor make it easy to get the angle. I suspect many could get good shaves with this with less effort and technique.
Agreed. It's a tremendous razor that just does what it does very well.

I have both razors also and exclusively use the Henson now. I find the efficiency of my mild henson to equal plate #4 on the Rockwell and I am much faster with the henson and no weepers or cuts. The Henson is also not really as picky about prep, or soap or cream as the Rockwell. I wanted to like the Rockwell and I know a lot of people like them because of the weight and adjustability but it is just not for me.
Tried to sell my Rockwell twice with no takers so will most likely auction it on B&B this fall.

I have the mild. 2nd shave today, and really terrific. Looks like I am going to switch away from my Rockwell 6S.
I use the Rockwell 6S with a #4 baseplate and get DFS to BBS minus. Why didn't you go with the Henson medium razor? Has someone done a comparison between the two razors, Rockwell and Henson?? @selbedj ???????

Last edited:
I use the Rockwell 6S with a #4 baseplate and get DFS to BBS minus. Why didn't you go with the Henson medium razor? Has someone done a comparison between the two razors, Rockwell and Henson??
I too was using the #4 baseplate for years. I found that my shaves were a bit inconsistent. If I shaved every day, which is common, I would start to get some irritation. Recently I went to #3 baseplate, and although it was a bit harder to get BBS minus, I could do it with less irritation. So that got me to thinking that a mild razor might be a better choice for me despite so much hype about aggressive razors. After watching a few videos and reading a bit, I decided to go for the mild. So far so good. I have only used it the last two days, but my shaves are already better with less effort than the #3 plate. So I think this is a winner. For many I think the cost of consistent BBS is perhaps more chance of weepers and irritation. This Henson gives DFS easily without much effort, and say BSS minus with a bit more effort without irritation. I think they are on to something here with the easily achievable shaving angle from the flat edge, and the way the blade is held with precision.

I use the Rockwell 6S with a #4 baseplate and get DFS to BBS minus. Why didn't you go with the Henson medium razor? Has someone done a comparison between the two razors, Rockwell and Henson?? @selbedj ???????
Hi, are you asking me why I didn’t go with a medium Henson?
I had both the medium and the mild in version 1. I found they shaved the same. When the airline lost my razor in luggage I bought a version 2 in mild. I found this was the best for me and shaved better than both mild and medium in the previous version.
As far as the Rockwell 6s I find the efficacy of plate 4 to be most like my current Henson, it’s just that for me the Henson is a much faster no thought shave with no cuts or weepers.

I know blade gap isn't the whole picture for comparisons of razors, but the Henson mild (.68) is more comparable to Rockwell 6 plate 5 (.69). Rockwell doesn't list blade exposure unfortunately.

I find that the Henson is definitely about reducing stubble with each pass, where I've found others remove more hair in the first pass, but after the third pass the results end up the same. It's strange.

Here is one comparison between the Henson Medium and Rockwell 6c.

I know blade gap isn't the whole picture for comparisons of razors, but the Henson mild (.68) is more comparable to Rockwell 6 plate 5 (.69). Rockwell doesn't list blade exposure unfortunately.

I find that the Henson is definitely about reducing stubble with each pass, where I've found others remove more hair in the first pass, but after the third pass the results end up the same. It's strange.

Here is one comparison between the Henson Medium and Rockwell 6c.
I did try the Rockwell on plate 5 also. Definitely more blade feel. But on plate 5 I got irritation on my jawline. If I still used the Rockwell blade 4 was my sweet spot but I’ve seen where a lot of shavers prefer plates 5 and 6.
Plates 1 and 2 were not good at all for me and 3 was just too much buffing and work to get a semi decent shave with.

I did try the Rockwell on plate 5 also. Definitely more blade feel. But on plate 5 I got irritation on my jawline. If I still used the Rockwell blade 4 was my sweet spot but I’ve seen where a lot of shavers prefer plates 5 and 6.
Plates 1 and 2 were not good at all for me and 3 was just too much buffing and work to get a semi decent shave with.

I'm glad that you've been able to find a combo that works for you. I go back and forth between the GC and Henson. I use the GC for when I want to work on my technique and change things up. I use the Henson for when I want a no-nonsense, drama free shave. Both are great razors.

This shaving thing is so technique and skin specific it can be hard to draw comparisons. I have now been shaving daily with the Henson mild, and it is only getting better for me as I learn the pressure etc. There are just some spots that work so much better on my face with this razor.

Top Bottom