What's new

Rockwell 6S v Timeless SS 0.68 v Feather AS-D2

I've been using Merkur 34C and 23C for the past 2 years. Though prefer the longer handle of the 23C. I've been wanting to upgrade to something 'nicer' for Christmas and the Rockwell/Timeless/Feather razors appear to be generally the highest regarded in this forum.

I'm unsure on how to decide between each. Smooth shave feel would probably be most important aspect to me but I assume each of these provide that already. Also, if you guys have any other suggestions, that'd be greatly appreciated!

I think what some might ask you would be do you love where your 34c is as far as feel or would you like a more aggressive razor or a more mellow one :)

never tried a rockwell ? played with them a bunch at local razor store though not in the same build class as the Timeless but the price reflects that so its upside is the other plates included and price are very nice

had a Feather and returned it just was not as comfy but that was me :) others love them

do have a titanium timeless and all 3 of the 68 plates and plan on buying the 95 plates
the straight is the most comfy for sure I might say get the 68 and 95 and use both wish I bought the 95 plate when I bought mine (also why I am buying them soon) buy both return or sell the plate you did not like or keep it around to try once in a while :) IMHO the later is the way to go if you can be Ok with a extra plate

a few other razors I have Rex Ambassador and Yates and some razorocks and hensons and think the razorocks are some of the best bang for buck razors out there

my GC 68 is very close to my timeless in comfort while shaving and post quality where it falls behind is the feedback through the handle and audio feedback and build quality so I might smile more when using the timeless as I can tell more whats going on when shaving but the end result is about the same

as far as build the timeless is a huge step above all of them as it should be price reflects that :)
I do have the 84 plate for the GC coming in along with the Lupo in 72 and 95 and I am comparing razors taking the top two and moving those forward and so far that is the GC and the Timeless so yeah still on the hunt for the best razor for me :)

another spot where timeless leaps forward is Titanium :)
I love the weight of Ti it's perfect for me so depending on budget something about the Ti just feels so good on the face and I prefer the Ti look ? again that makes it even more unique than the others

the other two razors still on my really want to and will try are the Karve and the Tatara with the plates and caps to change and the wolfman which is $$$$ but folks love them

right now if I had to choose one razor going forward it would be the timeless but again I am still on the hunt and so far it's stayed in the lead of my top two !

I have and use all three so I can relate my personal experiences.
AS-D2 so mild and effective cutting angle so elusive I have never gotten a close shave. It is beautifully designed and made but for me totally unsatisfactory
Timeless Titanium, original design. a precision instrument from a company that stands behind their product. The .68 is a bit on the mild side, the .95 works better for me, but I would recommend Timeless razors without hesitation.
The Rockwell 6S though much less expensive shaves almost as smoothly and with more aggression/efficiency options may be a more sensible option.
The major difference between the two is the extreme rigidity of the blade in the Timeless which I find increases every blade's efficiency compared to the same blade in the Rockwell.
My personal answer to which between the two, was to get both, I did and do not regret it at all.
Good luck and always remember when reading my review or anyone else's, YMMV.

I think what some might ask you would be do you love where your 34c is as far as feel or would you like a more aggressive razor or a more mellow one :)

never tried a rockwell ? played with them a bunch at local razor store though not in the same build class as the Timeless but the price reflects that so its upside is the other plates included and price are very nice

had a Feather and returned it just was not as comfy but that was me :) others love them

do have a titanium timeless and all 3 of the 68 plates and plan on buying the 95 plates
the straight is the most comfy for sure I might say get the 68 and 95 and use both wish I bought the 95 plate when I bought mine (also why I am buying them soon) buy both return or sell the plate you did not like or keep it around to try once in a while :) IMHO the later is the way to go if you can be Ok with a extra plate

a few other razors I have Rex Ambassador and Yates and some razorocks and hensons and think the razorocks are some of the best bang for buck razors out there

my GC 68 is very close to my timeless in comfort while shaving and post quality where it falls behind is the feedback through the handle and audio feedback and build quality so I might smile more when using the timeless as I can tell more whats going on when shaving but the end result is about the same

as far as build the timeless is a huge step above all of them as it should be price reflects that :)
I do have the 84 plate for the GC coming in along with the Lupo in 72 and 95 and I am comparing razors taking the top two and moving those forward and so far that is the GC and the Timeless so yeah still on the hunt for the best razor for me :)

another spot where timeless leaps forward is Titanium :)
I love the weight of Ti it's perfect for me so depending on budget something about the Ti just feels so good on the face and I prefer the Ti look ? again that makes it even more unique than the others

the other two razors still on my really want to and will try are the Karve and the Tatara with the plates and caps to change and the wolfman which is $$$$ but folks love them

right now if I had to choose one razor going forward it would be the timeless but again I am still on the hunt and so far it's stayed in the lead of my top two !
I feel I would improve something slightly less aggressive than the 34C. The main issue with it I have is some irritation and nicks when shaving my neck. Overall, I wouldn't place too much on build quality aesthetic (as far as I'm aware, Stainless Steel for each will basically last until I no longer wish to use it).

I feel I would improve something slightly less aggressive than the 34C. The main issue with it I have is some irritation and nicks when shaving my neck. Overall, I wouldn't place too much on build quality aesthetic (as far as I'm aware, Stainless Steel for each will basically last until I no longer wish to use it).
I would prefer**

I had a look at the GC 68 and it does look interesting. Most comfortable shave is most important attribute to me so I am willing to lose on efficiency. I haven’t put much consideration into physical/audio feedback.

I have and use all three so I can relate my personal experiences.
AS-D2 so mild and effective cutting angle so elusive I have never gotten a close shave. It is beautifully designed and made but for me totally unsatisfactory
Timeless Titanium, original design. a precision instrument from a company that stands behind their product. The .68 is a bit on the mild side, the .95 works better for me, but I would recommend Timeless razors without hesitation.
The Rockwell 6S though much less expensive shaves almost as smoothly and with more aggression/efficiency options may be a more sensible option.
The major difference between the two is the extreme rigidity of the blade in the Timeless which I find increases every blade's efficiency compared to the same blade in the Rockwell.
My personal answer to which between the two, was to get both, I did and do not regret it at all.
Good luck and always remember when reading my review or anyone else's, YMMV.
For me, I’d lean towards mild for comfort rather than efficiency/closeness. I think the benefit for the Rockwell is the versatility but the Timeless 68 does look incredible. Money isn’t necessarily a break point so I’m whichever is most comfortable would be my preference.

I have a Rockwell 6S and a Feather AS-D1. To me they are equally good. In the end it's a matter of personal taste which one of the razor you have suggested you choose. They are all very capable razors.

When I shave with the GC 68 you can feel a bit more of the blade not in a bad way not in a harsh way you are just more aware than with the timeless so yeah timeless IMHO does have that slight less blade feel a bit more comfy forgiving feel when shaving with the timeless 68 straight bar

been a while since I used the 34c :) so cant remember how it compares in feel to the others ?

this is the tough thing as said its all so personal I am glad I have tried so many
I can say with the timeless some do not like the head being a bit taller/thicker than some other razors when getting under nose ? Me no issue my nose is flexible :)
the timeless has a comb option which I love and in the blade styles straight then the scallop then the comb each one gets a bit more aggressive feel so even on the 68 you can take small steps in how it feels the only other comb I have is the yates and you can tell its a comb you can kinda feel a bit of a rake action almost the timeless the way they curve it feels like a straight bar to me just more efficient

I think having a razor rental biz would be fun and handy :)

kinda brain dumping thoughts as I know hearing more often helped me out even like OH the nose thing ? so hope this helps :)

I've been using Merkur 34C and 23C for the past 2 years. Though prefer the longer handle of the 23C. I've been wanting to upgrade to something 'nicer' for Christmas and the Rockwell/Timeless/Feather razors appear to be generally the highest regarded in this forum.

I'm unsure on how to decide between each. Smooth shave feel would probably be most important aspect to me but I assume each of these provide that already. Also, if you guys have any other suggestions, that'd be greatly appreciated!
I have all three and like all three for different reasons. More specifically, I have a Timeless Ti .68 & .95, Rockwell 6S and a Feather AS-D2.

Going from less expensive to more expensive, the Rockwell 6S provides a very smooth and mindless shave. I can take it across my face without worrying about nicks or irritation. It shaves wonderfully. Of course, at this point my technique is such that I can use most any razor without too many worries but this one excels at giving a worry-free shave. It is built like a truck. It does, however, lack manufacturing refinement and is not necessarily a looker. For that, look elsewhere.

Alternatives at an even lower price point are the Razorock Lupo or Game Changer. Also consider the Yates at a few dollars more. That Yates is a smooth one.

The Feather AS-D2 costs more money but is more precisely made than the Rockwell. I would say that the word precision fits this one on a few different levels. It is a more precise instrument both in manufacture and technique required. It takes a more precise and refined technique. The optimum shaving angle is narrower. It took me a while to master the required technique but once I learned the proper shaving angle and how to shave without applying pressure, it became a precise joy to use.

Finally, the Timeless Ti is a lot more money. It is beautifully manufactured with great support from Timeless. Frankly, I picked up my .68 on the BST with the .95 plate coming from the Timeless bargain basement returned section to save a few bucks. It is a pleasure to use. The .68 plate is a daily driver while the .95 will give more efficiency.

What all of these razors have in common is clamping the blade rigidly thus lessening blade chatter. I like all of them better than my Blackbird, probably for this reason and because the Blackbird likely has more blade exposure.

I know nothing of the Rockwell. I have and appreciate both the Timeless and Feather products. Of the Timeless, I own both the titanium and stainless 0.68 versions. My impression after using all three is the stainless version has the best bang to the buck invested. Their titanium would be a great choice if you value a lightweight version of the equipment; although I only know the smooth and not the satin finish. Last, but no means least, the Feather can give a very good performance once you know how to use it. Geometry is a very exacting aspect of their product and it takes time and practice to get the most out of one.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The Rockwell is a kinda adjustable, but always rather mild razor with a fantastic head design. I would love it much more if they would offer better manufacturing quality and finish. The R6 is an ugly duckling. Razor Emporium is plating them, but at this price, you could get a Timeless or Blackland.

RazoRock offers lots of very good designs with a very nice finish and good quality. They rarely take returns, though.

Alpha Shaving is a step up in quality and service. They also have a mild head for their Outlaw razor. Their handles are shiny and grippy, even better than Timeless except maybe for this one Ti handle.

I like the Timeless SLIM OC the most. It's way more aggressive than all razors mentioned in this thread so far.

Feather: don't have one. Given my preference for aggressive razors, this one would be an oddball in my razor cabinet.

I have all three and like all three for different reasons. More specifically, I have a Timeless Ti .68 & .95, Rockwell 6S and a Feather AS-D2.

Going from less expensive to more expensive, the Rockwell 6S provides a very smooth and mindless shave. I can take it across my face without worrying about nicks or irritation. It shaves wonderfully. Of course, at this point my technique is such that I can use most any razor without too many worries but this one excels at giving a worry-free shave. It is built like a truck. It does, however, lack manufacturing refinement and is not necessarily a looker. For that, look elsewhere.

Alternatives at an even lower price point are the Razorock Lupo or Game Changer. Also consider the Yates at a few dollars more. That Yates is a smooth one.

The Feather AS-D2 costs more money but is more precisely made than the Rockwell. I would say that the word precision fits this one on a few different levels. It is a more precise instrument both in manufacture and technique required. It takes a more precise and refined technique. The optimum shaving angle is narrower. It took me a while to master the required technique but once I learned the proper shaving angle and how to shave without applying pressure, it became a precise joy to use.

Finally, the Timeless Ti is a lot more money. It is beautifully manufactured with great support from Timeless. Frankly, I picked up my .68 on the BST with the .95 plate coming from the Timeless bargain basement returned section to save a few bucks. It is a pleasure to use. The .68 plate is a daily driver while the .95 will give more efficiency.

What all of these razors have in common is clamping the blade rigidly thus lessening blade chatter. I like all of them better than my Blackbird, probably for this reason and because the Blackbird likely has more blade exposure.
Would you say the shave comfort is very similar between the three? But the build quality differences makes say the Timeless more enjoyable than the Rockwell?

I have all three of the razors in question. All are winners in my book, but here's some thoughts on each one.

Feather AS-D2
This is my absolute favorite razor. I never had any problem dialing in the technique, but I know some struggle with this. It's a precise and beautifully made tool that is plenty efficient for me and yet extremely mild with almost no blade feel. It is much lighter and agile feeling than the other two. Overall, it just feels the most natural in my hand and is the one I reach for most often.

Timeless .68 SB
Another beautifully made razor (like razor jewelry) that gets bonus points for being a more unique design. It is more efficient than the Feather and has a bit of blade feel. It's a little less forgiving that the Feather or Rockwell. This is probably the smoothest feeling razor that I've ever used, which I think is just due to its rounded and smooth safely bar. The Timeless feels the most special out of the three.

Rockwell 6S
This is easily the best value of the three given how enjoyable it is to use and the ability to change to different plates. It's a well built heavy razor. It has a more industrial appearance, but that also gives it its own character, which I like. It is very forgiving, and at least on the lower plates, really has no blade feel. If I'm just going for maximum comfort on a specific shave, I'll often choose this one using plate #2. This is also a great razor to have since so many use it for comparison purposes to other razors (e.g. I find that a Feather AS-D2 has the efficiency of the Rockwell plate #3, but is in between plates 2&3 for blade feel).

Would you say the shave comfort is very similar between the three? But the build quality differences makes say the Timeless more enjoyable than the Rockwell?
The Rockwell is the most comfortable (and least likely to irritate) though the Timeless not far behind. I think it is accurate to say that the build quality of the Timeless does make it more enjoyable for me. The descriptions provided by @J-MN above are informative. And, as he points out, the Rockwell is very flexible given the various plate choices. Sometimes I change plates between passes. That ability to change plates, alone, allows me to eliminate any chance of irritation when I use the Rockwell. When I get to my final against the grain pass, I drop down to plate two. Using that plate, I can successfully go against the grain on that difficult area on my neck near my adams apple.

That said, there are times that I want the mindless pleasure of the Rockwell and there are times I want my Timeless Ti. Ti is an important difference as, according to many who have both, the ti version is subjectively more pleasurable to use over stainless steel. I don't know why this may be the case, perhaps it is the lower weight.

Will the enhanced aesthetics of the Timeless translate to a more pleasurable shave? At times, for me it does. Please note that I have the plain jane (not polished) titanium version of the Timeless SB with a plain top cap. I initially did it to save money but have really come to appreciate and like its simplicity. When I initially looked, it was at the scalloped top cap and matching scalloped base plate. That combination is a real looker.

I think you are on the right track.

Last edited:
I did a review of my Rockwell 6S. Maybe it will help:

I have all three razors and rank them as follows:
  1. Timeless SS SB .68
  2. Feather AS-D2
  3. Rockwell S
Here is my review of the Timeless razor.

The Timeless for me is the smoothest shaving razor I own. The Feather AS-D2 also is smooth. However, it takes a while to find the right angle to get efficient shaves with it. I rate the Rockwell in third place because the head on the razor is large and, as a result, it becomes a little more difficult to shave under my nose and lower lip.

I use Feather AS-D2 daily since 18 months after using Rockwell 6C for 6 months.
The 2 razors are of good design. The Rockwell is smooth and very efficient, but the Feather is superior due to the thinner and maneuverable head in the nose area. Now I only use the Feather despite a longer learning period than other razors. You must know perfectly the direction of growth of your beard to obtain BBS shaves. The 2 razors hold the blade securely so no vibrations when using on the tip of the chin.

Of those three razors I only have the Feather AS-D2, which is very smooth and it's almost impossible to cut or nick yourself (but don't use a Kai blade!). The downside is that it is very mild, and I find that there are areas of my neck and jaw where the Feather simply can't remove all the stubble. That said, I do start every shave with the AS-D2 but do a final pass with a much more agressive razor, like my Ikon Tek. Best of both worlds.

I was in the same boat. Been using a 34C for many years. It’s a good razor but I just felt I wanted something a little nicer, a little bit smoother. I also get occasional irritation on the neck. I attribute it to imperfect prep and technique rather then the razor. I’ve had plenty of perfect shaves with the 34C. Have you considered Karve? They are very well regarded, it seems. I was torn between RR GC and Karve CB. Ended up with a Tatara Masamune. Maybe not the most rational choice, but when I saw it I loved it. Haven’t opened it yet so can’t comment on the shave. Lots of great options for you to consider outside the 3 you mentioned.

I'll be the odd one out: the Rockwell 6C has been an utter disappointment for me. The worse razor I have tried, on any plate. All scraping, no cutting.
I couldn't recommend it to anyone tbh.

Top Bottom