What's new

Rockwell 6S(stainless) and the 6C (chrome)

Hi Gents,

I thought i'd write a few thoughts on the Rockwell razors.

My original 6S review can be found here:
My review of the Rockwell 6S adjustable razor - Tapatalk

Eithteen months later, I'n still loving the 6S razor. I pretty much use R3 daily as my skin handles it very well and I get a daily BBS. R4 is awesome but my skin can't handle it daily, even though the shave itself leaves my skin like glass!!

A few months ago, I thought I'd get the 6C as I really wanted a Rockwell for travel but didn't want to travel with the 6S. So, I got the 6C set and after a coupld of uses, I can say it shaves basically as well as the 6S. It's less hefty (98g vs 115g for the 6S) but still beautifully balanced. The chrome/gunmetal finish is flawless and at the price point, I could never even think to recommend the usual beginner razors to people (DE89, R89, HD34C etc etc).

I have no doubt the razor will last a long time given the excellent quality of the finish. I'd still reommend the 6S to anyone looking for a recommendation and the only time I'd recommend the 6C is either to a beginner who doesn't know if they wish to invest $100 in a razor, or for people who want the perfect travel razor.

Since I love R3 for daily shaves, I sold the 6C and got a 2C (comes with just the R1/3 plate) and it's just perfect. It sits in my travel kit so doesn't get used very often at all but whenever I do need to travel anywhere, I'm very glad I have the perfect razor handy, along with my TurnNshave synth brush and MWF/Speick sticks.

My favourite adjustable razor is still the Merkur Progress, mainly due to its ultimate intuitive cutting angle but I use the 6S equally and love the fact that it's an adjustable razor without any moving parts and therefore, very little that can go wrong.

Some have mentioned they dislike the tool-like look of the 6S. In this case, the chrome version would probably suit better but I just love the utilitarian, understated look of the 6S...infact, I feel it to be the best looking razor (I don't really like shiny looking things).
If they brought it out in matte black...I'd be the first to buy one!!

Oh, one thing I would also mention is that anyone considering either the 2C or 6C, I really would never recommend the 2C unless you already know you like the R1 and/or R3 plates (As I did). Just add the 20 bucks to the 2C and get the 6C. You will get the full kit with total flexibility of settings. Since the Rockwell shaves so smoothly, you may even find you like higher settings than what you thought you would.

I hope that helps for anyone interested in the 6S (ref. original review link) or wants to know a bit about th 6C and how it compares to the 6S.

IMG-20170718-WA0005.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice thoughts Nav.

My daily drivers are the Paradigm 17-4 and Timeless .68 these days but you can add the Rockwell. It’s a different shave but every bit as good as the above razors, smooth as one can ask for, and certainly efficient enough on the higher plates. The head design is easily superior to the Wolfman in (my) use.

I have both the 6S & 6C and much prefer the Gunmetal 6C. Lighter and better balanced (for me) than the heavier S model and the Chrome (plating) shaves smoother imo.

Stainless Steel, Titanium, Bronze and on are all nice stock but material takes second place to well thought out R&D and head design. Rockwell certainly nailed it with the 6 series design.

Very nice thoughts Nav.

My daily drivers are the Paradigm 17-4 and Timeless .68 these days but you can add the Rockwell. It’s a different shave but every bit as good as the above razors, smooth as one can ask for, and certainly efficient enough on the higher plates. The head design is easily superior to the Wolfman in (my) use.

I have both the 6S & 6C and much prefer the Gunmetal 6C. Lighter and better balanced (for me) than the heavier S model and the Chrome (plating) shaves smoother imo.

Stainless Steel, Titanium, Bronze and on are all nice stock but material takes second place to well thought out R&D and head design. Rockwell certainly nailed it with the 6 series design.

Thanks mate! And also for your additional comments.
I agree Rockwell nailed the plate design and head geometry. I feel that's the secret to how it shaves so efficiently and yet, buttery smooth.

I also like the slightly lighter weight of the chrome version and I have a Maggard hexagonal (MR14?) handle on the way as it'll take the weight of the 6S down to about the same as the 6C. I'm really looking foward to it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great observations and I agree .I gave the 6s and c .I went back to the 6s 3 plate yesterday after a long break .it was a nice shave but I thought I noticed some pulling which seemed odd. I'm going to try 4 today. Got it back in the rotation for travel try out. I took the 6c on last trip (got it for travel)but thus trip I'm going with the s .I like it better .

Hi Gents,

I thought i'd write a few thoughts on the Rockwell razors.

My original 6S review can be found here:
My review of the Rockwell 6S adjustable razor - Tapatalk

Eithteen months later, I'n still loving the 6S razor. I pretty much use R3 daily as my skin handles it very well and I get a daily BBS. R4 is awesome but my skin can't handle it daily, even though the shave itself leaves my skin like glass!!

A few months ago, I thought I'd get the 6C as I really wanted a Rockwell for travel but didn't want to travel with the 6S. So, I got the 6C set and after a coupld of uses, I can say it shaves basically as well as the 6S. It's less hefty (98g vs 115g for the 6S) but still beautifully balanced. The chrome/gunmetal finish is flawless and at the price point, I could never even think to recommend the usual beginner razors to people (DE89, R89, HD34C etc etc).

I have no doubt the razor will last a long time given the excellent quality of the finish. I'd still reommend the 6S to anyone looking for a recommendation and the only time I'd recommend the 6C is either to a beginner who doesn't know if they wish to invest $100 in a razor, or for people who want the perfect travel razor.

Since I love R3 for daily shaves, I sold the 6C and got a 2C (comes with just the R1/3 plate) and it's just perfect. It sits in my travel kit so doesn't get used very often at all but whenever I do need to travel anywhere, I'm very glad I have the perfect razor handy, along with my TurnNshave synth brush and MWF/Speick sticks.

My favourite adjustable razor is still the Merkur Progress, mainly due to its ultimate intuitive cutting angle but I use the 6S equally and love the fact that it's an adjustable razor without any moving parts and therefore, very little that can go wrong.

Some have mentioned they dislike the tool-like look of the 6S. In this case, the chrome version would probably suit better but I just love the utilitarian, understated look of the 6S...infact, I feel it to be the best looking razor (I don't really like shiny looking things).
If they brought it out in matte black...I'd be the first to buy one!!

Oh, one thing I would also mention is that anyone considering either the 2C or 6C, I really would never recommend the 2C unless you already know you like the R1 and/or R3 plates (As I did). Just add the 20 bucks to the 2C and get the 6C. You will get the full kit with total flexibility of settings. Since the Rockwell shaves so smoothly, you may even find you like higher settings than what you thought you would.

I hope that helps for anyone interested in the 6S (ref. original review link) or wants to know a bit about th 6C and how it compares to the 6S.

View attachment 867386
Thanks for the review. My reaction is the same, plate 3 on the 6S works best for me, and I would certainly get the 2C for travel if I didn't already have so many razors.

M

Member 113878

Finally pulled the trigger today and ordered a 6c!
Can't wait to try it! :shaving:

I too am teetering on the edge of buying a 6C. I have only been a wet-shaver for about a month, and use an EJDE89 as my daily driver, with a Pearl OC in the wings (I posted about my expereince with this in my Journal page).

I'm looking for something more aggressive than the EJ, but not as harsh as the OC. This Rockwell with the multiple heads appears to be a good fit.

Still on the fence. I ask myself how this would this eek out the EJ as the daily driver, and if the additional hardware is right place for my shaving $$.

I've used my Rockwell 6s a lot the past months. It is hands down the best razor I have in my den, that means I find it better than Gillette slim adjustable, black beauty, Old type, New long comb, merkur 34c to name a few.
Actually I think no other is even close to the 6s. It is simply d--n good, something with the head that makes almost every blade to cut like butter.
I would highly recommend the 6s since it is stainless steel instead of zamak. It will last for generations and the higher price is nothing if you take into consideration that you may use it for several decades.
If you don't like it, it's easy to get the money back on eBay.

I've used my Rockwell 6s a lot the past months. It is hands down the best razor I have in my den, that means I find it better than Gillette slim adjustable, black beauty, Old type, New long comb, merkur 34c to name a few.
Actually I think no other is even close to the 6s. It is simply d--n good, something with the head that makes almost every blade to cut like butter.
I would highly recommend the 6s since it is stainless steel instead of zamak. It will last for generations and the higher price is nothing if you take into consideration that you may use it for several decades.
If you don't like it, it's easy to get the money back on eBay.
I agree with everything you said, except that I have the 6C in gunmetal. I haven't tried the 6S, but I don't think it looks as good, and since I find the 6C near the top of the weight range I like in a razor, I wouldn't want a heavier razor like the 6S. In terms of how long a zamak razor will last, that's not much of a concern for me. Some have worn well, others like the EJ 89 have problems with the threads on the cap. Rockwell's haven't been around long enough for us to know, but even my EJ 89 lasted for 7 years of daily use. I don't believe that all zamak is created equal, and Rockwell seems to have been paying attention to quality. My hunch is that the Rockwell 6C will outlast me, but if it doesn't I'll buy another or buy something else.

i got the 6c because I didn't want to spend the money on the 6s. I really enjoy my shaves, although I've settled pretty much on setting 5. I'm not sure what I'd need the other two baseplates for.

I agree with everything you said, except that I have the 6C in gunmetal. I haven't tried the 6S, but I don't think it looks as good, and since I find the 6C near the top of the weight range I like in a razor, I wouldn't want a heavier razor like the 6S. In terms of how long a zamak razor will last, that's not much of a concern for me. Some have worn well, others like the EJ 89 have problems with the threads on the cap. Rockwell's haven't been around long enough for us to know, but even my EJ 89 lasted for 7 years of daily use. I don't believe that all zamak is created equal, and Rockwell seems to have been paying attention to quality. My hunch is that the Rockwell 6C will outlast me, but if it doesn't I'll buy another or buy something else.

I totally understand that you're sceptic about the weight. I was sceptic too, but having used it a lot you get used to the weight. Now I actually appreciate the heavy weight, it almost shaves by itself, and it feels sturdy and rigid. You can twist the handle really hard without worrying about if the threads will be damaged.
I'm sure the zamak version will last many years too, but for me it feels great to not worry about it. Stainless steel will last my lifetime without any problems, unless it gets excessively abused, and who knows if it is produced in 10 years. Would be a pity to lose ones favorite and to have no option to buy a new one. But that's my thoughts and what I prioritize. It's all about pros and cons after all, and choose the one with the most pros :)

hmmmm....compelling, albeit wallet un-friendly, arguments. I appreciate the perspectives.

Well if it's un-friendly to the wallet really depends on how you calculate.
No idea how long the zamak version will last, but it's not forever. Let's say it last ten years. That's 50/10 = 5$ per year.
The stainless steel will most likely last my lifetime. I'm 42 this year, give me 40 years more and it's 100/40 = 2.5$ per year.
Short term more expensive yes, long term it's cheaper :)

Well if it's un-friendly to the wallet really depends on how you calculate.
No idea how long the zamak version will last, but it's not forever. Let's say it last ten years. That's 50/10 = 5$ per year.
The stainless steel will most likely last my lifetime. I'm 42 this year, give me 40 years more and it's 100/40 = 2.5$ per year.
Short term more expensive yes, long term it's cheaper :)
That analysis only works if you really believe that nothing is going to come along in the next 40 years that you prefer to the 6C. For those of us who own or have owned more than a few DE razors (I currently have 8 which is a lot unless you compare it to many folks on this forum), I believe that in 10 years I will have moved on to something else.

My Rockwell 6C Gunmetal, plate R4, with a Gillette Nacet .....
A sublime shave every time !
Nacet may be my next stop in my blade tour. Just used a KAI with R3. Really good, but at that price I want Bar Rafaeli shaving me, and she was not included.:001_smile

Nacet may be my next stop in my blade tour. Just used a KAI with R3. Really good, but at that price I want Bar Rafaeli shaving me, and she was not included.:001_smile

Have you tried the Polsilver blade?

I find the Polsilver basically as sharp and smooth as the kai, but at half the price.

i got the 6c because I didn't want to spend the money on the 6s. I really enjoy my shaves, although I've settled pretty much on setting 5. I'm not sure what I'd need the other two baseplates for.

I traded my 5/6 plate for a 2/4 plate but now I want to trade the 2/4 plate for a 1/3 plate as 3 is my daily plate.

The 2C is perfect as a travel razor for those who use the 3 plate. It's so inexpensive and the razor shaves as good as the 6S!!

Top Bottom