What's new

Rockwell 6S R2 Upgrades?

Hey gang!

I’ve been exploring different hardware and software over the past year after finding this forum. Everybody has been super helpful and I’ve found some fantastic products thanks to everybody here. My most recent razor has been the Rockwell 6S. The R2 plate with an Astra blade has given me the best and most consistent shave with no weepers or nicks. Since I have to shave everyday it’s been difficult to find the right setup that isn’t too aggressive and allows my beard to grow enough which allows a comfortable shave the next day.

Since I am not familiar with the R2 plate specs, can somebody recommend a premium upgrade that has comparable specs? I’m hoping to find the last razor I’ll ever buy. :)

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

You have a, in my opinion, a very good razor. A way forward would be testing different blades with the blade gaps you have available with your 6S. If you can't find another suitable blade/plate combination then look for another razor.

"Upgrade"? I guess it depends on how you define "upgrade". If you mean more expensive, there's several options. If you mean a better shave, that's subjective at best and a little harder to find. I started with a $12 King C. Gillette, decided what I didn't like about it, and ended up with the 6S. To keep things comparable, I kept using the King C Gillette blades and started with plate 2 and have temporarily settled at plate 3.

I guess it also depends on how someone views shaving. Some see it as a self-gratifying pampering, almost akin to a religious experience and others see it as a housekeeping issue to be done every day or so.

Have you tried to move to R3 plate which is very mild too?
I try R2 from time to time and I have to apply too much pressure for good results. I usually use R4 for daily Shaving which is the best balance of mildness and efficiency for me.
So maybe improving your technique might be a plan. Otherwise the feather as-d2 is said to be similar to R2 - R3 but I read the angle is a bit different and difficult to find. I didn't try it.

I have found 4 elements go into my shaves. The razor, the blade, the lather -not just the brand but how thick or think Make it and how much I apply before each pass, and my technique -number of passes, direction W-X-A the grain, how often I go over a spot during a pass, any additional buffing, pressure and angle. This assumes your preshave routine moistens your wicker adequately. Try playing with each of these elements by varying what you currently do, before investing in a new razor.

"Upgrade"? I guess it depends on how you define "upgrade". If you mean more expensive, there's several options. If you mean a better shave, that's subjective at best and a little harder to find. I started with a $12 King C. Gillette, decided what I didn't like about it, and ended up with the 6S. To keep things comparable, I kept using the King C Gillette blades and started with plate 2 and have temporarily settled at plate 3.

I guess it also depends on how someone views shaving. Some see it as a self-gratifying pampering, almost akin to a religious experience and others see it as a housekeeping issue to be done every day or so.
Fair point, I’m looking for a luxury brand upgrade like a Wolfman or Timeless. Inwas just unsure what specs for those brands would match the R2 plate.

Have you tried to move to R3 plate which is very mild too?
I try R2 from time to time and I have to apply too much pressure for good results. I usually use R4 for daily Shaving which is the best balance of mildness and efficiency for me.
So maybe improving your technique might be a plan. Otherwise the feather as-d2 is said to be similar to R2 - R3 but I read the angle is a bit different and difficult to find. I didn't try it.
I started with the R3 plate when I first purchased the razor. Moved up then back down. Of all the plates the R2 gave me the most comfortable shave with little to no nicks/weepers. I’ll revisit R3 next week to see if my technique changed for the better.

I did try the AS-D2 for a few weeks but it was too aggressive and I couldn’t get a comfortable shave out of it.

I have found 4 elements go into my shaves. The razor, the blade, the lather -not just the brand but how thick or think Make it and how much I apply before each pass, and my technique -number of passes, direction W-X-A the grain, how often I go over a spot during a pass, any additional buffing, pressure and angle. This assumes your preshave routine moistens your wicker adequately. Try playing with each of these elements by varying what you currently do, before investing in a new razor.
That’s a great way to break it down. I’ve experimented with the later and have that technique down. I’ve also experimented with several highly recommended preshaves and soaps. I’m convinced I’ve found the combo that works very well for my face.

Blades has been a bit harder for me to determine. I’ve consistently used Astra blade with all my razors to get a good baseline when comparing different razor types. I did try feather blades for a while but determined they were too aggressive with some of the razors I was using, but plan to revisit with the R2 plate. My beard hair is very coarse so I’m hesitant to go “less sharp” since I can feel the tugging with the Astra towards the end of my shave.

I understand my hair growth direction well enough to get a good shave W-X-A the grain for a BBS shave. So am taking this out of the equation.

moderator - not sure if this is a permitted post....Refinedshave.com reports on how shape different blades are and how thew blogger finds they shave, which may help deciding what blades to try.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I presume you like mild razors.
Timeless 0.68SC / Feather AS-d2 / Tatara muramasa…
Luxurious choice, no regrets.

Top Bottom