What's new

Rockwell 6S Plates

What is the main purpose of plates 1 and 2 with the Rockwell 6S razor?

I tried using both options as a daily shaver but even multiple (3-5) passes left behind a lot of hair, looked like it was barely shaved. Had to switch to a head level 4 to get any results. Does it require using a steeper angle to achieve a decent shave? Tried several blades with the same outcome. Has anyone made these blade plates work as a daily shaving tool?

Has anyone made these blade plates work as a daily shaving tool?

Probably. Remember that people's beards and skin can vary widely. What works for some won't necessarily work for others. That's why adjustable razors are popular. After all, the Rockwell is basically an adjustable razor which works by changing base plates. Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) is our motto.

I haven't used 1 or 2. It might be good for a new DE shaver to learn to use the razor. They wouldn't have to worry about nicks. If someone hasn't used a feather or other sharp blade, those settings could be useful.

Razors vary in aggressiveness from very mild to very aggressive. DE blades also vary from mild to extremely sharp.
If plates 1 and 2 on the 6S are not aggressive enough to give you a good shave, you can make those plates more efficient by using sharper blades.

Of course, since the 6S also has more aggressive plates, you can try keeping your current blade and working your way up to a higher numbered plate.

I have a coarse beard and tend to like efficient razors. I did not purchase the Rockwell 6S as I suspected that plates 1-5 would not be efficient enough for me. I was not even sure that plate six would be suitable. Thus, I purchased a Karve razor with a D plate. The Karve D plate is reported to be even more aggressive and efficient than the Rockwell plate 6. However, I find that the D plate gives a smooth shave as long as I avoid extremely sharp blades in the razor.

Razors vary in aggressiveness from very mild to very aggressive. DE blades also vary from mild to extremely sharp.
If plates 1 and 2 on the 6S are not aggressive enough to give you a good shave, you can make those plates more efficient by using sharper blades.

Of course, since the 6S also has more aggressive plates, you can try keeping your current blade and working your way up to a higher numbered plate.

I have a coarse beard and tend to like efficient razors. I did not purchase the Rockwell 6S as I suspected that plates 1-5 would not be efficient enough for me. I was not even sure that plate six would be suitable. Thus, I purchased a Karve razor with a D plate. The Karve D plate is reported to be even more aggressive and efficient than the Rockwell plate 6. However, I find that the D plate gives a smooth shave as long as I avoid extremely sharp blades in the razor.
I use the Karve D plate and the Rockwell 4 plate. They are comparable - but the Karve is a more efficient and smooth razor.

When I first got the Rockwell 6C, I started on R2, and it was (just about) usable for a daily shave, but before long I was using R5. I never bothered with R1, and I haven't needed to resort to R6 so far.

R2 or 3 might be right for my neck (less, thinner stubble, and a lot thinner skin), but since I don't want to fumble around changing plates with wet soapy hands, I use the cheap black plastic Wilkinson for that.

I used to use plate #1 when I begun to shave my head. Very good to blindly shave without worrying nicks and cuts. I could not get BBS but I did not need.

I used plates 1 & 2 once. I’m generally using plates 4-6. Others use 1 & 2 daily & get great results. This is truly a YMMV pastime.

I used to use plate #1 when I begun to shave my head. Very good to blindly shave without worrying nicks and cuts. I could not get BBS but I did not need.
Right, I would also start with R1 for a head shave, if I had to have one.

Last edited:
I use the Karve D plate and the Rockwell 4 plate. They are comparable - but the Karve is a more efficient and smooth razor.

The specs on the Rockwell r4 plate say that the blade gap is 0.84mm. The r5 plate is listed as 0.94mm and the r6 plate at 1.12mm. For the Karve D Plate, the gap is 0.98mm. I realize that blade gap is not the only design specification that determines efficiency and aggressiveness. However, since the blade exposure is not listed for the Rockwell plates, I figured that the Karve D plate would be somewhere between the Rockwell 5 and 6 plates.

Since I am trying to maximize efficiency to shave my coarse beard while maximizing smoothness to protect my sensitive skin, it sounds like the Karve D plate may have been the better choice.

The specs on the Rockwell r4 plate say that the blade gap is 0.84mm. The r5 plate is listed as 0.94mm and the r6 plate at 1.12mm. For the Karve D Plate, the gap is 0.98mm. I realize that blade gap is not the only design specification that determines efficiency and aggressiveness. However, since the blade exposure is not listed for the Rockwell plates, I figured that the Karve D plate would be somewhere between the Rockwell 5 and 6 plates.

Since I am trying to maximize efficiency to shave my coarse beard while maximizing smoothness to protect my sensitive skin, it sounds like the Karve D plate may have been the better choice.

I wouldn’t say the Karve d is “smoother”. It just has more blade exposure.

Fwiw, I reach for my Rockwell a lot more often than any of my Karves. I’m not knocking Karve, I just think the Rockwell is a masterpiece. Plate 5 for me.

I wouldn’t say the Karve d is “smoother”. It just has more blade exposure.

Fwiw, I reach for my Rockwell a lot more often than any of my Karves. I’m not knocking Karve, I just think the Rockwell is a masterpiece. Plate 5 for me.

Interesting! Do you use the same blade with the Rockwell r5 as with the Karve D plate? I find that with any razor having positive blade exposure, the choice of blade is critical. Personally, I find the Karve to be efficient and smooth. Perhaps the Rockwell is as well. I am on the wait list for a Karve SS open comb C plate. The open comb plates are supposed to be a little more efficient than the solid bar, so I dropped back a plate level.

I'm a daily shaver & last night I shaved for the 3rd time with my newly acquired 6C. The first 2 shaves were done using R2 & I achieved a BBS shave using 3 passes. Although for my 3rd shave I up it to R3 & achieved the same thing. If my skin was very sensitive I could use R2 every day with no issues. All the shaves were done using Astra SP's blades.

I just got the 6s a couple of weeks ago. It's weird the R1 plate gave me a flawless shave the first time I used it, the second time not so much. I use the R3 plate for my face instead. Haven't tried 4-6 yet.

Me too. I'm currently using R3 only. But if I had to rest my face I could use R2. Although the shave using R3 seems to last longer.

I tried using both options as a daily shaver but even multiple (3-5) passes left behind a lot of hair, looked like it was barely shaved. Had to switch to a head level 4 to get any results. Does it require using a steeper angle to achieve a decent shave? Tried several blades with the same outcome. Has anyone made these blade plates work as a daily shaving tool?
У меня на 2 плите с лезвием Feather в три прохода с добривками получается комфортно и very, very good.

My college age sons each use R1 and R2. I use R4-R6. They cannot fathom using the higher numbers, I cannot comprehend using the lower numbers. I believe Rockwell got it right with the inclusive selection of plates in one box.

We also have a brass Karve in the house, and our combined range is AA - E. That gets to be frustrating when you have to guess and shell out more $$ for more plates.

FWIW, and since no one asked, their preference is very much for the Rockwell over the Karve.

I used plate 1 for one stroke when I first received my 6S. I knew after the first stroke it wasn’t for me. I jumped up to plate 3 and finished the shave. The next shave I moved up to plate 4 and that’s where I am today. I tried plate 5. A couple of times but it has too my
much blade feel for me.

I have used plate 2 on occasion to do cleanup after I’ve finished the second pass.

But like a previous poster, everybody’s skin and beard are different, so that’s why you have 6 plates. Some shavers have tried the 6S and said they need plates 7 & 8, but Rockwell does not make those plates.

Top Bottom