What's new

Rockwell 6S or Rex Ambassador?

I've been trying different razors to find the ones that work for me and the ones that don't.

I really like my old gillettes (and collect them), like the flair tip and flair tip with a red knob, the aristocrats, fat boy and slim adj

I recently bought a Rockwell 6S and love it. Right now its my favorite of the new and old razors. I tried a Blackland blackbird and found it beautiful but too aggressive for me. I guess that was a move in the wrong direction. So I sold it.

So I'm wondering if I should try a Rex Ambassador, or is it reduntant? Is it too similar to others that I have.

If you like the Rockwell you probably won't gain from the Rex. But I guess it is how you use an adjustable.

Personally the joy of an adjustable is to be able adjust mid shave. I love the ability to increase blade gap for my tough problem areas and decrease for the sensitive ones.

The Rex is my favourite adjustable. It has a broader range of settings and very precise increments. I find the Rockwell on the mild side - I like to have a greater range - especially on the top end. But for someone who prefers a milder shave I would imagine that the 6S would be the perfect razor.

All of which is why I would think you would be better sticking with the Rockwell.

I was in your shoes. The 6s was unbeatable, I tried Karve, ATT, Timeless, and others. The Rex was really close, on 2 it was almost as perfect as plate 5 on the 6s. Anything above that was too aggressive.

Eventually I tried a Charcoal Goods level 2, I actually sold my Rex and 6s(used both almost daily for over a year) and also got rid of most of my other razors.

On the cheaper side I highly recommend the Gamechanger .84, that one also finally beat my 6s and stayed in the den as well.

Besides the Charcoal Goods and Gamechanger, I’m not sure there IS anything better than the 6s (if you love an efficient smooth shave in two quick passes). YMMV

The Ambassador and 6S are totally different animals; I own both. 6S until very recently was my mild daily driver champ (plate 4 usually, sometimes plate 6); very smooth, minimal blade feel until pressure applied. The Ambassador is for those who like more aggression in terms of blade feel. I just don't see how they can be compared, or seen as alternatives for the other. YMMV.

Also, to be clear, as a previous owner of a Blackbird, the Ambassador, for me, is no where near as aggressive as the BB. The trick to the Ambassador, in my experience, is finding the right angle FOR YOU. A friend who owns one swears by riding the cap, which for the Ambassador doesn't work for me. I find that for ATG & buffing especially, riding the guard works best, but it requires some experimenting. If you get one, do not give up after just a few shaves.

Also, fwiw, I have an O3 date coded (3rd quarter 2019) Ambassador listed in the BST forum. I got it from Razor Emporium Jan 3, but am selling because I have multiple razors planned over the next few months.

I found the Ambassador to be nothing like the 6S....or the vintage Gillettes, for that matter. For perspective, my current rotation includes Wolfman WR2 1.15, Blackbird, Timeless SS .95, and Karve C/D. The Rex Ambassador is the only razor that has ever given me razor burn. Even on the low settings, I just could not get a comfortable shave. It’s such a cool-looking, well-built razor and I wanted so badly to like it. It just wasn’t to be for me.

Eventually I tried a Charcoal Goods level 2, I actually sold my Rex and 6s(used both almost daily for over a year) and also got rid of most of my other razors.

On the cheaper side I highly recommend the Gamechanger .84, that one also finally beat my 6s and stayed in the den as well.
[/QUOTE]

The gamechanger .84 is another razor that I had considered based on reports (like yours) on B&B. I will also consider the charcoal goods level 2. Thanks for that.

I also saw JoeLr's B/S/T listing for the Rex Ambassador before I posted this. So, I am considering the rex as well

I was in your shoes. The 6s was unbeatable, I tried Karve, ATT, Timeless, and others. The Rex was really close, on 2 it was almost as perfect as plate 5 on the 6s. Anything above that was too aggressive.

Besides the Charcoal Goods and Gamechanger, I’m not sure there IS anything better than the 6s (if you love an efficient smooth shave in two quick passes). YMMV

I concur. I kept my 6S because I like it and also like the look of it on my shelf, but once I got the GC .84 it was, well, a game changer. Rarely use anything else anymore.

I found the Ambassador to be nothing like the 6S....or the vintage Gillettes, for that matter. For perspective, my current rotation includes Wolfman WR2 1.15, Blackbird, Timeless SS .95, and Karve C/D. The Rex Ambassador is the only razor that has ever given me razor burn. Even on the low settings, I just could not get a comfortable shave. It’s such a cool-looking, well-built razor and I wanted so badly to like it. It just wasn’t to be for me.

I thought it was just me! I too tried to love the Rex, its a beautiful well made razor that feels great in hand and shaves bbs but I cant for the life of me shave without getting razor burn from it. I have numerous other razors and not one of them gives me the burn that the Rex does.

I have both razors. The 6S will fulfill your needs from setting 1-6. On the Rex settings 1-3 is all you need as 4-6 are too aggressive and you will not need those settings (my opinion). The 6S is probably my favorite DE razor I mainly use plate #5 but if I feel raw/gritty I will use #6.

As I have both, the rex and the Rockwell i can tell you the rex has more blade feel. I appreciate bkth, but prefer the Rockwell, that's why my rex can be found at bst.
I recently bought a HLS taiga which is as efficient as the rex but as smooth as the Rockwell.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

For me, rockwell 6s on 4 is g.o.a.t. I can’t even put it in the same league as rr GameChanger .68 or .84. I get a much wider shave angle and it’s just so effortless and intuitive. This may be obvious but the key is the find the right blade that works for you. I tried several blades before digging out a tuck of perma sharps that for me just pair perfectly. I have had the rr GC for about 6 months or so and just can’t seem to get a great shave. Maybe the bar is set high.

I have the Rockwell. I go back-and-forth with it. My opinion today is that it’s too mild and that a razor with a larger blade gap works better for me.

I don’t have the Rex but it’s adjustable I would think it would give you a larger Blade gap and to me it’s more efficient.

I seem to have problems with razors with the smaller gaps. I have a tendency to start using pressure to compensate for the lack of efficiency and end up getting a nick.

I also have the game changer 84. To me it’s equivalent to a Rockwell on plate five. Neither of those razors have a large enough blade gap for my preferences. Depends on how course your beard is. A lot of people love both of those razors.

Last edited:
^^The wet shaving game is so subjective, example # 1 billion, hahahaha.

The 6S is a razor I'll never sell. It's just dependable, and is now my travel razor. I like having it around, and besides, I wouldn't get much for it if I did try to sell it. For the (I figure) $50 net after paying shipping expense, I'd much rather keep it.

The Ambassador plays a different game, for sure. I borrowed a friend's last summer, and it shaves just like mine. He uses his daily on 2.5 setting, and this is a guy who couldn't get along with a .68 SS Timeless SB he bought from me. Go figure. To him, the Ambassador is a smooth, efficient daily. Another example of how subjective this all is.

Of the razors mentioned I only have the Rex. I use GSB, Rubies, German Wilkies and Astra SS as my regular blades. I run the razor between 2.5 and 3 with no burn or irritation. The one thing I have learned is that everything about shaving is subjective. You just won't know until you give it a fair trial.

Yep, I also used the Rex as a daily when I first got it right after the New Year. IME, I can use any mechanically sound DE given some time to adjust. Just highlighting that me, a lover of the super smooth 6S (used exclusively for almost 20 months) also loves the Ambassador <don't ask me to choose from among my children> LOL.

Only reason my Rex is in BST is economics. I can get more absolute dollars from selling it than selling another razor. I need to fund my current razor habit.

Top Bottom