What's new

Rockwell 6S or Rex Ambassador?

I've been trying different razors to find the ones that work for me and the ones that don't.

I really like my old gillettes (and collect them), like the flair tip and flair tip with a red knob, the aristocrats, fat boy and slim adj

I recently bought a Rockwell 6S and love it. Right now its my favorite of the new and old razors. I tried a Blackland blackbird and found it beautiful but too aggressive for me. I guess that was a move in the wrong direction. So I sold it.

So I'm wondering if I should try a Rex Ambassador, or is it reduntant? Is it too similar to others that I have.
I have a Rockwell 6C which I really like and has been my Go-To razor for about a year or so. I bought the REX Ambassador and I love it! It is definitely better than the 6C IMO. Here are my cons about it. I have sensitive skin so there is not too much adjustability on the razor if that's what you're looking for. I'm confident you can find a setting between 1 and 6 that will suit you, but I only use it on 1.5 down to about .75. Not much adjustability, but it shaves fantastic on those settings so for me that's all that really matters. I could set it on 1.5 and leave it there all the time most likely if I had to. Secondly it has much more blade exposure than the Rockwell. Again, this may not matter for you. The REX is a more aggressive razor on any setting IMO, but it doesn't matter if it works. I also have a Fatboy and I like the REX better than my Fatboy. I shave on 4 with the Fatboy and I'm certain I could not do that with the REX. My personal guess if you like the old Gillettes, you'll love the REX. Pricey, but worth it.

So glad I found this thread! I'm in a market for a razor that is very similar to Rockwell 6S plate 5 or 6.

I've tried a decent amount of razors and last half a year was shaving exclusively with Blackland Dart and Blackbird since I sold everything else in my den. I was gifted a Rockwell 6S and prematurely disregarded it. Now I still enjoy Blackland razors and find them AMAZING. But I found out that Rockwell 6S on plates 5 and 6 gives me the same result, but with a huge bump in comfort and carelessness so to say. I was shocked at how 6S fits me better then my 2 most beloved razors.

So I sold them and now am looking for something similar to Rockwell 6S plates 5 and 6. Rocca R94 is on its way and I'm curious to see how it compares!

Reactions: nav
I've had the opportunity to use both the 6S and the Rex.
While the Rex is more appealing to the eye and less tedious to adjust to a different setting, I prefer using the 6S. Granted the 6S is much easier on the wallet, I found it provide a smoother shave.

Rex and Rockwell are quite different feeling razors. Rex feels that it will bite you and Rockwell feels like it is really hard to hurt yourself with it.
I agree that I can shave pretty "carelessly" with the Rockwell, but once you get used to the Rex, no problem.

I’ve used both and for me the Rex Ambassador gives me the best shaves but many have issues with it above the 3 setting.

I want to get an Ambassador soon. I dont have an analog adjustable other than the Futur.

That said, through a recent severe RAD-19 infection I obtained a Rockwell, both Game Changers, and have a Karve on the way.

Between the Rockwell and the two Game Changers, I find myself always wanting to reach for the Rockwell. Its strange too because on the surface Im more drawn to the GCs smaller head and polished finish. But for the shave itself - that Rockwell is setting a new standard for me. On plate three, it really feels like Im wiping hair off my face rather than shaving.

If the Karve somehow bests the Rockwell, then that is one absolutely incredible razor.

So glad I found this thread! I'm in a market for a razor that is very similar to Rockwell 6S plate 5 or 6.

So I sold them and now am looking for something similar to Rockwell 6S plates 5 and 6. Rocca R94 is on its way and I'm curious to see how it compares!

I have a Rockwell and a taiga, tha taiga is similar to the Rockwell. I sold my Rex, but the Taiga is really very much like the Rockwell for me. I especially appreciate the OC Plate. One difference is the blades last longer in the Rockwell and the Astra SP performs not that good in the Taiga, bit the red Personna performs extraordinary good in the Taiga. In the Rockwell its the opposite.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

I've been trying different razors to find the ones that work for me and the ones that don't.

I really like my old gillettes (and collect them), like the flair tip and flair tip with a red knob, the aristocrats, fat boy and slim adj

I recently bought a Rockwell 6S and love it. Right now its my favorite of the new and old razors. I tried a Blackland blackbird and found it beautiful but too aggressive for me. I guess that was a move in the wrong direction. So I sold it.

So I'm wondering if I should try a Rex Ambassador, or is it reduntant? Is it too similar to others that I have.
I also think the 6S is great. I tried the Rex in the pass around here, but as others have said, anything above 2.5 or so was way too much blade for me. I think a lot depends on your beard and shaving habits. I have a relatively light beard but still need to shave every day, as I can't pull off the Clint Eastwood look -- any stubble at all just makes me look like a bum on a park bench. The 6S is the king of smooth, and with the R4 base plate, is more than efficient enough. If you have a heavy beard and/or shave less frequently, something else might be better, but otherwise, imo the 6S is a tough act to follow.

The Ambassador is definitely more aggressive in the upper settings. My stubble is like barbed wire so I use settings 6-4-2 for three passes.

I also think the 6S is great.
I bought the zamak 6C, originally.

I'm Scottish, and I do tend to live up (or rather down) to the cultural stereotype.

"Well, that was a waste of money", as my dad might have said, but a great spare razor, because I snapped up the 6S when I discovered how well plates R4 and R5 on the 6C worked, and wanted the robust version.

In retrospect, the best plan would be to buy the 6S first.

I haven’t had a chance to use the Rex but I have the 6s and would recommend to anyone. Great razor especially at its price point

I bought the zamak 6C, originally.

I'm Scottish, and I do tend to live up (or rather down) to the cultural stereotype.

"Well, that was a waste of money", as my dad might have said, but a great spare razor, because I snapped up the 6S when I discovered how well plates R4 and R5 on the 6C worked, and wanted the robust version.

In retrospect, the best plan would be to buy the 6S first.
Hi from Edinburgh. I'm "careful" also, so sold my .84 Game changer to buy a 6S, which is a tremendous razor. I found the GC too inconsistent and often produced scratchy shaves. The exact opposite of the 6S.

I do like an adjustable but after reading this thread and seeing Mark on Friendship Shaving YouTube channel suffer razor burn from a borrowed Ambassador, plans for a future purchase have fallen by the way.

I can give you an Update. I Sold my Rex as the shaves were not as good as my Rockwell and my Taiga deliver.
An at least on my skin the Rex didnt glide that well.
My Taiga shaves constantly more like the Rockwell cincerning blade feel and smoothness.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

Thought i'd chime in, this about my second post but this may help others. I recently purchased both Rockwell 6s and Rex Ambassador (P1 build) having been a consistent user of only a Merkur 34C or 37C for about 2 years.

I'm working my way through cheap Lords blades (Stainless and Shark Super Chrome) and are similar with how they work in the Merkurs. Jumping to the 6S, these blades become much smoother. On the most aggressive plate I found the shave to the very close very comfortable. The blade feedback is still excellent. I've used on the more tame 2-3 plates and it still cuts well and is exceedinly comfortable I would say this razor is essential and easily replaces the 34C as daily choice. The heft of the 6s probably holds the cheaper/thinner blades much better than what i'm used to.

The Ambassador I've only just used today for first time on a 4 setting, but it was extremely sharp with what I would consider a dull/smooth Shark Super Chrome blade, and the result very close after only 2 passes. My face doesnt feel in any way raw however. To me it's a level above the 37C, but it didn't trouble my skin as much. This was more of a challenging shave due to the need to get the angle right, I wouldn't call this a daily driver, unless you like driving a manual transmission with heavy-duty clutch. This is my first adjustable though!

Thought i'd chime in, this about my second post but this may help others. I recently purchased both Rockwell 6s and Rex Ambassador (P1 build) having been a consistent user of only a Merkur 34C or 37C for about 2 years.

I'm working my way through cheap Lords blades (Stainless and Shark Super Chrome) and are similar with how they work in the Merkurs. Jumping to the 6S, these blades become much smoother. On the most aggressive plate I found the shave to the very close very comfortable. The blade feedback is still excellent. I've used on the more tame 2-3 plates and it still cuts well and is exceedinly comfortable I would say this razor is essential and easily replaces the 34C as daily choice. The heft of the 6s probably holds the cheaper/thinner blades much better than what i'm used to.

The Ambassador I've only just used today for first time on a 4 setting, but it was extremely sharp with what I would consider a dull/smooth Shark Super Chrome blade, and the result very close after only 2 passes. My face doesnt feel in any way raw however. To me it's a level above the 37C, but it didn't trouble my skin as much. This was more of a challenging shave due to the need to get the angle right, I wouldn't call this a daily driver, unless you like driving a manual transmission with heavy-duty clutch. This is my first adjustable though!
I own a 6C and an Ambassador and the 6C from everything I've read is equivalent to a 6S although I've heard the 6C may be smoother as the chrome finish glides better vs. the stainless. I didn't have a WOW moment with the Rex straight out of the box, but after I found the settings that worked for me paired with a good blade (Gillette Platinum in my case) I don't shave with the 6S nearly as much anymore as the Rex is my go-to razor. Wonderful shave and it will only cut me if I'm being very careless. Got me a bit today in fact with an Astra Green blade which was my bad. Keep trying the adjustable settings and different blades and give it a couple of months and see if you might come to the same conclusion. Anything I pick up now vs. my Rex I know it's not going to be as good, but I still have fun either with all my razors.

Top Bottom