What's new

Rockwell 6S: I Have Found "The One."

I have been trying a new technique with my Rockwell the last week.

Plate #2 WTG and XTG This eliminated almost all stubble. I flip it to plate #4 ATG and get little resistance and a true BBS everytime. Reduction people, reduction.

My neck is completely clear from any irritation at all since trying this method. (a magnificent feat for my very sensitive skin). I have also found the Nacet to be the best blade for me in the 6s.

Plate #2 WTG and XTG This eliminated almost all stubble. I flip it to plate #4 ATG and get little resistance and a true BBS everytime. Reduction people, reduction.

My neck is completely clear from any irritation at all since trying this method. (a magnificent feat for my very sensitive skin). I have also found the Nacet to be the best blade for me in the 6s.

Interesting technique--jumping up from plate 2 to a 4. I go in the opposite direction, from a 3 WTG to a 2 XTG and ATG. One of these days I will follow your lead and jump up just to see what it is like. I have been using an Astra SP and really like it. I used a Feather for a few shaves but did not like it nearly as well I do the Astra. I do have some Nacet blades so perhaps I will check that out this next week of shaves.

I won't travel with mine, I have an unfortunate habit of misplacing things and/or leaving them behind. I already have others I can travel with, otherwise I might get a 2C which would probably also be good as I like plate 3 on the 6S.

I bought the 2C as my traveler, but the plate #3 doesn’t quite cut it. Wish they offered the #4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the 2C as my traveler, but the plate #3 doesn’t quite cut it. Wish they offered the #4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might try the RazoRock MJ-90. A DE89-type head, like the Rockwell, but an aluminum head with a titanium handle. I would estimate that with the A plate it's similar to at least plate 4 on the Rockwell. Not exactly the same shave and blade feel but surprisingly similar, and less than half the weight, so a good travel option.

That's an interesting technique, in fact I'm gonna try it tomorrow. I would've thought moving down in plates for ATG would be better to combat irritation though.

I do also move down on plates for XTG&ATG, because most stubble has been eliminated on the first pass, going over my trouble spots, I don't want any irritation which I would inevidably get if I used the razor in its most efficient setting.

Took off 5 days of growth last night with my Rockwell. Started with the #4 baseplate and the following passes with the #3. What a remarkably smooth and efficient shave I had - just pure shaving bliss.

I honestly don't believe I'll ever had RAD again with this DE in my possession.

One thing about the Rockwell that concerns me is that the Feather blade I use needs to be aligned so that it is not slanted. There appears to be a little slop in the system. Hmm...

I was able to replicate the issue you were describing. And indeed, it does this only with a Feather blade as I tried this with an Astra SP, a Rockwell and a Merkur blade and I wasn't able to replicate the issue.

Maybe Feather's tolerance in regards to the holes and notches in their blades is a little greater than the other manufacturers.

Anyway, not a major turn off for me as I figured a way to make the blade near perfectly aligned by holding the cap loosely while tightening the handle. Sometimes it takes a couple of trys to nail it but ultimately it does get into place!

Maybe Feather's tolerance in regards to the holes and notches in their blades is a little greater than the other manufacturers.
Yup. In both of my Timeless razors every blade is a very snug fit, with the exception of the Feather blades. Feather slide in and out freely while everything else has to be pressed into place.

I was able to replicate the issue you were describing. And indeed, it does this only with a Feather blade as I tried this with an Astra SP, a Rockwell and a Merkur blade and I wasn't able to replicate the issue.

Anyway, not a major turn off for me as I figured a way to make the blade near perfectly aligned by holding the cap loosely while tightening the handle. Sometimes it takes a couple of trys to nail it but ultimately it does get into place!

I am in the process of using various blades in my Rockwell. I first used a Feather as noted, then an Astra SP and now a Nacet. The only time the alignment problem has cropped up was with the Feather and then only intermittently. After first noticing the alignment issue with the Feather blade, the blade I started with, I began to check alignment every time after tightening the handle. My thought was that maybe I had tightened the handle on a misaligned blade. Now when I put a blade on, I shake the razor before I tighten it down in an effort to have the blade drop down into its normal and presumably aligned position while the system is loose. I then tighten it down and check alignment.

I suspect that you have correctly diagnosed the source of the problem.

I am in the process of using various blades in my Rockwell. I first used a Feather as noted, then an Astra SP and now a Nacet. The only time the alignment problem has cropped up was with the Feather and then only intermittently. After first noticing the alignment issue with the Feather blade, the blade I started with, I began to check alignment every time after tightening the handle. My thought was that maybe I had tightened the handle on a misaligned blade. Now when I put a blade on, I shake the razor before I tighten it down in an effort to have the blade drop down into its normal and presumably aligned position while the system is loose. I then tighten it down and check alignment.

I suspect that you have correctly diagnosed the source of the problem.
I agree entirely with the last three posters about Feather blades. They often are a little or a lot more difficult to align, depending on the razor. I mentioned my experience with this here a few months ago. There must be more wiggle room somewhere in the hole pattern.

I've ever tried one Feather blade in my Rockwell and didn't notice any wiggle, and it shaved great. But, that could all change with the next Feather I try.

I've tried 4 different blades so far and most of them have performed flawlessly, but of course, YMMV.

I am sold on plate #3 and the Nacet. My last week of shaving has been flawless.

Nacet might be my new favorite blade, after years of the 7 o clock yellow maintaining that spot.

Can't wait to try it in other razors, if I ever out down my 6s

Nice review. I like this razor a lot too -- and have bought it as a gift for friends -- as everyone can find something that works for them in that number of plates.
I use a Feather too, by the way.

I love the #R5 throughout my whole shaves with Gillette Nacet, Gillette Silver Blue & Astra Superior Platinum so far, I will be testing other blades using the #R5 base plate.

I've ever tried one Feather blade in my Rockwell and didn't notice any wiggle, and it shaved great. But, that could all change with the next Feather I try.

I've tried 4 different blades so far and most of them have performed flawlessly, but of course, YMMV.
Same here. Most Feather blades seem fine too, it's only once in a while I have this strange alignment issue with them. It hasn't yet happened with the Rockwell, but I'll take a photo next time it happens. (And of course, now that I've said that it will never happen again.)

Admittedly I didn’t read through the entire thread but for the many Rockwell 6S owners, do you find the razor plates overall really mild? I’ve read reviews where that was stated - specifically on a pass around on another forum. Just curious to B&B members thoughts on this.

(For context, I find the Muhle R89 - 89 series head - too mild for my taste; daily razor att R1 plate). I don’t own a Rockwell.

Admittedly I didn’t read through the entire thread but for the many Rockwell 6S owners, do you find the razor plates overall really mild? I’ve read reviews where that was stated - specifically on a pass around on another forum. Just curious to B&B members thoughts on this.

(For context, I find the Muhle R89 - 89 series head - too mild for my taste; daily razor att R1 plate). I don’t own a Rockwell.

For my purposes, plates 1 and 2 are too mild for me, but it really kicks in on plate 3 and becomes the perfect combination of smoothness and efficiency. I've gone up to plate 5 but ultimately that's overkill for daily shaving in my case. Best bet is jump in the pass around and give it a go.

I follow these threads on B&B. My sense of it is there are some users who have found the Rockwell 6S to be too mild even on plate 6. They are not in the majority but they do exist. For me, the Rockwell at plate 3 first pass, and plate 2, 2nd and 3rd passes, is appropriate for every day usage--the so-called daily driver. When I put plate 5 on I nicked myself. My other razors are EJ-DE89 and Feather AS D2, neither of which is an aggressive razor.

I've tried plate R5 for the first time this morning and it was an amazing shave. I've managed to get a BBS shave rather effortlessly with very little irritation with a brand new Astra SP blade. I wouldn't use R5 as a daily setting as I think it might be a little too aggressive for my skin type but for an every other day shave it's amazing!

Top Bottom