What's new

Rockwell 6S: I Have Found "The One."

I guess those problems exist with any razor. I literally couldn't get blades on and off my 6S with the first top cap I received, because the posts were too wide for the blades to fit. The second top cap was fine.

The main thing is that Rockwell's support is top-notch, so if you have an issue, they'll send out a new part without a fuss.

Some blades are harder to get on and off my 6S than others, you think I’d make a better not of which ones but I do remember being a little nervous about how precarious it was getting a Personna blade out of there.

But I’m not going to complain about an unmovable blade on a symmetrical top cap. This was a replacement for my first 6S because that top cap was making the blade exposure uneven and they did replace it free of charge - eventually. It took about 2 weeks to hear back from them from contacting them... but it was summer vacation. So I do agree it’s a matter of a new company growing. And this was after the first 6S I had ordered was lost in the mail and never delivered... soooo I had a long wait before I was happy with my 6S. But happy with it I am. Mostly.

If you guys want a smoother shave polish the 6S.
IMG_20181029_184803.jpg

OK, despite the overwhelmingly negative response to the Rockwell 6S here at B&B, I've ordered one, as I enjoy going my own way and bucking the trend.
Seriously, it is a good deal for what are essentially six razors. And though I love several of the razors I have already, I've never figured out what is the ideal level of aggressiveness for me. I like the result I get so easily with aggressive designs, but I usually shave six days a week and the smoothness and comfort of the mild designs is great too. So I shall experiment with the base plates and find out. I don't like to rotate razors too much and stay with the same one for at least a month, so could this be a final resting place?
Just to revive this thread a bit, as someone 'liked' my post, the 6S has indeed become my final resting place. Though, I might have used a term that sounds a little less like a cemetery plot. :)

I just used my 6S last week with the R4 plate after not using it for 6 months. I had two of the best shaves comfort wise that I can remember. It's not as efficient as my Wolfman razor but it gives great shaves. The 6S was my first DE razor. In the beginning I had a few painful shaves that I probably subconsciously still connected with that razor. My shaving skills must have improved greatly, perhaps from my journey with so many other razors. I can still highly recommend the Rockwell 6S to those who are new to DE shaving and those looking for a daily driver. It isn't a one pass wonder but it is a comfortable whisker whacker.

I just used my 6S last week with the R4 plate after not using it for 6 months. I had two of the best shaves comfort wise that I can remember. It's not as efficient as my Wolfman razor but it gives great shaves. The 6S was my first DE razor. In the beginning I had a few painful shaves that I probably subconsciously still connected with that razor. My shaving skills must have improved greatly, perhaps from my journey with so many other razors. I can still highly recommend the Rockwell 6S to those who are new to DE shaving and those looking for a daily driver. It isn't a one pass wonder but it is a comfortable whisker whacker.
For those like me with a lighter beard, the 6S may be close to ideal, if one can get used to the 118 g weight. I notice some here complain that even with plate R6 it isn't efficient enough, and those may be guys with heavier beards. I don't have a Wolfman, but I do have a Gamechanger (two of them, actually), which supposedly is similar. More efficient than the 6S, no question, but overall the 6S is a better design for me.

That handle is just too heavy. I found the Rocca's weight to be perfect. So I weighed it.

Rocca: head 40gr, handle 47gr
6S: head 49gr, handle 71gr

as you can see there is only a 7gr difference with the Rocca.
So I thought if I get a handle for the 6S that is 7gr more than its head, I might get the same weight balance as the Rocca's.
I've found this handle that is about 58gr (2gr over) which I reckon is going to look nice too with the black 6S.
I'm pretty sure is going to be an improvement.

That handle is just too heavy. I found the Rocca's weight to be perfect. So I weighed it.

Rocca: head 40gr, handle 47gr
6S: head 49gr, handle 71gr

as you can see there is only a 7gr difference with the Rocca.
So I thought if I get a handle for the 6S that is 7gr more than its head, I might get the same weight balance as the Rocca's.
I've found this handle that is about 58gr (2gr over) which I reckon is going to look nice too with the black 6S.
I'm pretty sure is going to be an improvement.
Since the 6S was my first razor the weight seems just right. I still prefer heavier handles. For me, I find that using heavier handles allows me to let the weight of the razor apply the proper pressure. When I use lighter handles I find that I have to apply some pressure like with the Henson AL13 medium that I used to own. I got inconsistent results with that razor. Probably because I didn’t use it enough to develop the muscle memory needed to use the same pressure consistently. I guess that it really boils down to personal preference In the end. YMMV

Top Bottom