What's new

Rockwell 6S: great razor or over-hyped?

So, I got the RazoRock Game Changer .84-P and got to test drive it this morning.

Set-up - Pre-shave: Warm shower and CeraVe Facial Cleanser
Soap - My Will Arko Franfensoap (Williams and Arko grated together) with a dash of Cremo Refreshing Mint
Brush - Omega Professional Boar Brush
Blade - A fresh Nacet blade
Aftershave - Warm, then cold water rinse, Thayers Lemon WH, Duke Cannon Balm, Gillette Cool Wave AS Splash
Three days growth

Whipped up a nice creamy, somewhat runny lather (as I prefer). The razor is incredibly smooth and efficient and I was impressed. I will use it all this week to dial it in, but - wow- wonderful first impression.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Just an update I've used the 6S for all shaves since 7/18 save for 1 when I did an A/B with the R41 and Henson.

I started out with plate 3, then 4, then 2 for many shaves, then 4, then 5 and finally 6. I really like the razor with plates 2-4. 5 and 6 don't shave as well for me as the others. More blade feel, but I end up with a better (closer) shave with the others and it's more comfortable getting there. That is fine. If I want blade feel and a close shave, NOTHING even comes close to the R41 for me.

The 6S went back to my neighbor and I bought one. It may be souless, boring, pedestrian, whatever, but I prefer it over the Razorock (Mamba and GC .68), Blackbird OC, Carbon CX, Karve (B,C,D,E and OC in C), Supply (Original Stainless and Adjustable), OneBlade (Core, Hybrid, Genesis), Gem Junior, Injector Type E, Fatip (Gentile and OC), Gillette Heritage, Muhle R89, EJ DE89, Shone, Jorris, King C Gillette, Bevel VdH.

I will keep it, my Henson and my R41. The 6S is more forgiving on lather than the Henson. Henson likes runny thin lather, or the razor wants to hydroplane. Sometimes I like thick gooey later. The 6S is fine with that.

A plus is the adjust-ability. I have three plates I like a lot. All deliver a great shave. 3 seems to be the sweet spot.

I have used the 6S with plate 4 and nothing else (except when I travel) for many years now. I no longer check out the new DE razor models, fine as they may be. But I have a relatively light beard and shave almost every weekday. (Even my light beard looks like $%^& after a day or two if I don't shave, especially now that it has turned gray. I get the bum on a park bench look rather than the Clint Eastwood look.) I'd say the 6S likely will be great for those with my beard type and shaving habits.

I have used the 6S with plate 4 and nothing else (except when I travel) for many years now. I no longer check out the new DE razor models, fine as they may be. But I have a relatively light beard and shave almost every weekday. (Even my light beard looks like $%^& after a day or two if I don't shave, especially now that it has turned gray. I get the bum on a park bench look rather than the Clint Eastwood look.) I'd say the 6S likely will be great for those with my beard type and shaving habits.
I no longer check out the new DE razor models
^ Would you share your secret for this?

Had a 6S for a few month and dabbled around with it. Wasn't my cup of tea. Besides problems with blade allignment, I just dindn't like the feel on my face, and no matter what plate I used the shaves were only mediocre at best (plates 3 and 4 where just "so ok to meh"). So, I got rid of that thing.

The 6S/6C are excellent choices for a first razor, as 6 levels of agression (with 3 reversible base plates) are offered in one razor, with even the R6 plate not being particularly harsh. After developing a tiny bit of technique, however, if interested in a more efficient, yet still mild razor, the all brass Fatip Lo Storto open comb is as durable as the Stainless Steel 6S, and cheaper than the Zamac 6C.

I've read there are several varieties of zinc alloys of varying strengths used to make razors, referred as Zamak. Since in three piece razors, the weak point is the top cap bolt (seeing pictures of some sheared off when accidentally dropped or over tightened), many will pay a premium for the 6S. Other than a more polished surface and different material, the 6C is identical: Unlike Fatips, the 6C plating is flawless, but I'm not sure about the longevity.

G

Guest2023

Overhyped is not the word for a razor which is less than $100 and shaves as good as any razors on the market. :)(was there any price increase?I don't know.)

Anyway..

The word can be used to describe razors over $200, boring 3-pieces Tech clone, and shaves no better than bunch of razors half the cost( Razorock GC, PAA Meta-4, Leaf Twig, Henson,etc.)

The more razors I try, the more I love my 6S. I love everything about it, except the exposed blade tabs.

I did have some mild rust stains on the underside of the top cap at one point, but they were very easily and harmlessly removed with an over-the-counter rust-removing liquid and a cotton swab. Supposedly white vinegar or lemon juice work as well, but I've never tried.

The more razors I try, the more I love my 6S. I love everything about it, except the exposed blade tabs.

I did have some mild rust stains on the underside of the top cap at one point, but they were very easily and harmlessly removed with an over-the-counter rust-removing liquid and a cotton swab. Supposedly white vinegar or lemon juice work as well, but I've never tried.
+1. I hate exposed tabs in any razor. I hadn't had a problem with it, although it has been months since my last shave with R. 6s.

Wet shaving for over ten years, have tried many razors, modern, vintage, mild to super-aggressive, American, English, German, Canadian, Italian, Indian, Chinese...ranging from unusable to excellent. A few have come close, but none have worked better for me than the Rockwell 6S, which has been my daily razor for several years. Best $70 I've ever spent (in like new condition on the B/S/T forum). If you buy one, I would say be patient as you look for the blade(s) that works best for you (likely won't be Rockwell blades).
What plates do you use?

Just an update I've used the 6S for all shaves since 7/18 save for 1 when I did an A/B with the R41 and Henson.

I started out with plate 3, then 4, then 2 for many shaves, then 4, then 5 and finally 6. I really like the razor with plates 2-4. 5 and 6 don't shave as well for me as the others. More blade feel, but I end up with a better (closer) shave with the others and it's more comfortable getting there. That is fine. If I want blade feel and a close shave, NOTHING even comes close to the R41 for me.

The 6S went back to my neighbor and I bought one. It may be souless, boring, pedestrian, whatever, but I prefer it over the Razorock (Mamba and GC .68), Blackbird OC, Carbon CX, Karve (B,C,D,E and OC in C), Supply (Original Stainless and Adjustable), OneBlade (Core, Hybrid, Genesis), Gem Junior, Injector Type E, Fatip (Gentile and OC), Gillette Heritage, Muhle R89, EJ DE89, Shone, Jorris, King C Gillette, Bevel VdH.

I will keep it, my Henson and my R41. The 6S is more forgiving on lather than the Henson. Henson likes runny thin lather, or the razor wants to hydroplane. Sometimes I like thick gooey later. The 6S is fine with that.

A plus is the adjust-ability. I have three plates I like a lot. All deliver a great shave. 3 seems to be the sweet spot.
Why do you prefer the 6S over all of those?

The good thing is that the Rockwell is six razors in one. Changing plates requires more effort than dialing an adjustable razor up and down during shave.
In consequence you focus more on every single baseplate when using it instead of trying several settings during a shave.
So it's likely that you get to know every baseplate better.
You can choose the plate to your mood, condition of your skin, beard growth or whatever. And finally find your favourite one, which may change by improving your technique eg.

The 6S may not remove quite as much as say a Timeless 95 OC, Rex Ambassador, GEM MMOC, or R41 (Clone in my case) on the first pass, but after 2-3 passes, she'll remove that super fine, barely noticeable stubble for a glass like BBS that equals more expensive razors, and do so with more comfort. - Once I worked through the plates, I just leave the R6 plate installed, super easy to use, even with a Feather blade.

Top Bottom