What's new

Rockwell 6s first impressions

Just got my Rockwell 6s yesterday, so first shave this morning. I have been using a Weber stainless for the last 2 years, but recently put the Merkur 23c head on my Weber handle. I find the Weber just a bit harsh, although very close shaves are possible. The Merkur head is milder, and easier to use, but the shave is not as close. I have tried numerous blades, including 100 Personnas, 100 Astra SP's, some Feathers, but recently settled on Gillette Silver Blues. No matter what razor I use, the GSB's seem very smooth and comfortable to me.

So, this morning loaded up a fresh GSB onto plate 3 in the Rockwell for my daily shave. 1 day growth of moderate coarse facial hair. Very interesting shave. I thought the Weber was heavy, but the Rockwell is very heavy. Feels great in the hand. I actually really like the weight of it. The head just glides. So smooth. Must be the shape, and I suspect fairly low blade exposure. The weight of the head gives good momentum to the strokes. Should build my biceps too. I mean quite a chunk of metal.

So, got a very easy DFS with low effort. Despite the head size it glides around effortlessly, and no issues shaving the upper lip. This razor is a keeper. I will sell my Weber. Should be fun to try the other plates. I won't try plate 1-2, as 3 is pretty mild. I suspect 3 or 4 will be the daily driver. We'll see. Very nice.

6s is great Razor. I’ve settled on plate #4. Love mine have had it a little over a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was explained by Gareth in another post, the 6S is made entirely in the U.S.A and the 6C in China. By accident some 6S razors got inside a misprinted box.

It was explained by Gareth in another post, the 6S is made entirely in the U.S.A and the 6C in China. By accident some 6S razors got inside a misprinted box.
Thanks for the explanation. This is definitely on my wish list for the future.

Sent via Tapatalk

I have both the 6S (USA made) and the 6C (made in CHINA) and honestly get a BBS shave from both with plate#4 and a Feather blade. I just like the shiny chrome a little better...

I have both the 6S (USA made) and the 6C (made in CHINA) and honestly get a BBS shave from both with plate#4 and a Feather blade. I just like the shiny chrome a little better...

+1 on the Shiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does not say that on the razor. The manufacturer stated it. I have no reason not to trust their statements about it. From what I have seen they are a trustworthy small company. They plainly state that the 6c is manufactured in China, but that the 6s is made in the USA, and that there was a printing error. For some reason you seem to have an ax to grind about this. If so, don't buy a 6s. The original post by me was to discuss the first shave with the razor, and not the country of origin. I think we should stick to the performance.

I just got done using the 6s in the pass around. I really liked it. Plate 6 was for me. I couldn't get close enough with the others. I actually wish they made a 7&8 plate. I think I'm going to pick up a 6C.

I love my 6S. Plate 4 with an Astra SP is the sweet spot for me. I had put it down for a couple of weeks and it was a pleasure to pick back up again today. Such a comfortable close shave.

I am telling you now what I think. I shave 3 times a week. I just want a nice shave. I don't need 10 adjustments. I shave and go. I don't take much time.
Life is too short thinking about what setting I want today.

@Ukrainian then just let it go and let the guys who bought the 6S give their impressions.

As you say life is too short.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Excellent glad you love it. And what's not to love really. I agree with op statements regarding weight. Its heavy but not overly so. I got mine about 4-6 months ago. I started with a 1 and like the 3 or 4 plate.

I like plates R2 and R3 with a sharp blade like polsilver. Even R4 with a Gillette Wilkinson blade wasn't as close as R2 with polsilver! Which is great as my sensitive skin is happier too!

It's a great razor for sure but the correct combination is crucial, as with any other razor.

I just got done using the 6s in the pass around. I really liked it. Plate 6 was for me. I couldn't get close enough with the others. I actually wish they made a 7&8 plate. I think I'm going to pick up a 6C.
My feelings exactly and until they come up with a plate 7-8, I use two shims with the 6 and it does the trick.

Top Bottom