What's new

Rockwell 6S finish - is this really normal?

Please apologize if this has been discussed before, I searched quite a bit and couldn't find any somewhat recent thread this would fit in.

Anyway, I bought a Rockwell 6S (brand new) which arrived today.
While checking the razor and all the plates I noticed these marks.

20220401_215030.jpg
20220401_215050.jpg

The handle had been put on side #1 once by me and once by the factory (it came with the plate #1 installed).
On the plate side #3 I put the handle on exactly three times to check if these marks happen on that side too.
It was tightened very mildly / hand tight only. Apparently my test was "successful"...

Of course I'm quite aware that the handle is going to leave marks on the plate in due course and no, I don't use washers in any DE razor and I don't plan to. Normal use, wear and tear is just fine with me.

But then these marks appear even before the razor has been actually used and I can only imagine what it would look like in a few weeek (as I disassemble the razor after each use).
And if the finish on the entire head is like this, I can see it getting worn off fairly quickly in some spots just by shaving and putting it down on the sink. While the marks in the handle area wouldn't concern me, elsewhere they actually would.

So my question would be, is this really normal or is the finish somewhat not quite the way it should be?

I'm pretty sure Rockwell is using MIM casting, followed by a coarse blast, to finish their parts. Unless you really ding the head on a marble counter, it will be yeeeeeears before the finish shows much wear. If it bothers you, you can lighten the finish by rubbing it with Mother's Metal Polish, or similar. If it REALLY bothers you, hit it all over with a stainless Dremel wire wheel, then the Mother's Polish. The blasting is coarse enough that it won't disappear, and you'll have a finish not quite as silver-white as polished stainless, and a bit less yellow than polished nickel.

Thank you for the input, it's greatly appreciated!

Even more importantly, after the OCD post about the marks I tested the 6S and got a good 3-pass shave from plate #3 with a fresh Gillette Nacet.
The weight of the head is pretty substantial which I think helps ease off the urge to put pressure on the head/handle.
I also don't think the 6S is too bulky or too heavy, it works just fine the way it is.
What I did notice is that the geometry apparently makes it less agressive especially in tight areas like the chin.
Of course this is likely to be related to the negative blade exposure as well.

Coming from a Lupo .95, SLOC and Merkur 34C, I do have to say that plate #3 is ridiculously easy to shave with. Without putting a substantial amount of pressure on it, I can't see it ever drawing blood.

So far so good, I do like the 6S. For the next shave I'll go for plate #4 and #6 to see where that leads.

Please apologize if this has been discussed before, I searched quite a bit and couldn't find any somewhat recent thread this would fit in.

Anyway, I bought a Rockwell 6S (brand new) which arrived today.
While checking the razor and all the plates I noticed these marks.

View attachment 1432825View attachment 1432823

The handle had been put on side #1 once by me and once by the factory (it came with the plate #1 installed).
On the plate side #3 I put the handle on exactly three times to check if these marks happen on that side too.
It was tightened very mildly / hand tight only. Apparently my test was "successful"...

Of course I'm quite aware that the handle is going to leave marks on the plate in due course and no, I don't use washers in any DE razor and I don't plan to. Normal use, wear and tear is just fine with me.

But then these marks appear even before the razor has been actually used and I can only imagine what it would look like in a few weeek (as I disassemble the razor after each use).
And if the finish on the entire head is like this, I can see it getting worn off fairly quickly in some spots just by shaving and putting it down on the sink. While the marks in the handle area wouldn't concern me, elsewhere they actually would.

So my question would be, is this really normal or is the finish somewhat not quite the way it should be?
Hi!

I have two Rockwell 6s and both of them arrived with the R1 plate with circular wear marks, from the handle. Since then, very quickly, all the plates got the same marks, although I never tightened the handle excessively. It's normal for 6s that the blasted finish wears at the contact with the handle. I didn't encounter other wear marks.

The interface at the handle and plate will always wear smooth unless you use a washer at the interface. That is what happens at friction interfaces.
You will get a few dings on the rest of the plate surface through daily use but it does depend on how careful you are. As has been said before, it is not an applied finish

Thank you everyone for the replies!
It's good to hear this is normal for the S and that wear is unlikely to appear on other parts of the head.
In the meantime I've enjoyed shaving with it a lot and also tried the other plates.
Plate #6 is my favorite right now. It is still easy to use and comfortable to shave with, when used without pressure but delivers an even closer shave than plate #3.
Considering the ease of use and the outstanding results, the Rockwell 6S to me is a real winner.

Just to add this is normal for any surfaces of razors or any other metal surfaces where a screw is tightened. The Rockwell is mim cast and bead blasted. My shiny Timeless cnc milled stainless steel which are hand polished also get those marks if I don't use washers. However these marks will be more apparent on surfaces which are bead blasted and not shiny hand polished.

Best use washers if you can develop ocd for such marks. The 6S will probably outlast its user and next generations before these marks manage to "eat" through the metal to be unusable.

Top Bottom