What's new

Rockwell 6s DE Razor First Use & Thoughts (Head Shaving)

I just bring along my 6s with the 4/2 baseplate in the truck all week. I exclusively use “setting” 4 now. If I had the opportunity to shave everyday, I might have to flip it to 2, but I’ll never know. I don’t get the chance to shave daily.

Reactions: saj
I just bring along my 6s with the 4/2 baseplate in the truck all week. I exclusively use “setting” 4 now. If I had the opportunity to shave everyday, I might have to flip it to 2, but I’ll never know. I don’t get the chance to shave daily.
not used 2 but i assume it would be too mild tbh

hey people so i just had my first ever head shave with the rockwell 6s de razor which i paired with a gillette silver blue for it's second use bare in mind I usually bin the blade after one use

had just over 24 hours worth of growth an bare i mind i have very thick coarse hair too and I wouldn't normally shave so soon after my last head shave but was excited to finally try out this razor

started off with the number three plate as I was like might as well start down the middle then went onto the plate four as I felt I need a bit more aggression and did the whole of the head shave with number four

I'd say I'm an average sort of speed head shaver, defo not the fastest but felt quicker then normal not sure if it's due to shaving less hai growth then what I'm used or whether credit goes to the razor tbh

anyways the razor was so smooth, absolutely no blade chatter at all WTG, XTG & ATG, the razor mowed it down comfortable and felt very smooth, no real irritation and not much sting with the alum block post shave

I don't usually shave as often as I like but I assume ill be using plate 5/6 most the time in the future imho

although I got the stainless steel handle on the iKon slant x3 which i recently tried after a few strokes I put it down knowing it was way too mild for me, so this is my first real stainless steel de razor I've used,

It feels like real quality using it,
I can now understand why some wet shavers say they consider stainless steel razors to be more of a lifelong razor

wasnt sure if I'd like the whole flipping plates as oppose to switched a dial but honestly it's so easy, such a minor thing now that I've used it but I could understand why someone may be a bit apprehensive to buy the razor based on it not being adjustable in the 'traditional' way

I now see why across the board I've always read and heard good things about the Rockwell 6s, like they say the proofs in the pudding

very impressed with this razor 😍🪒
Just wanted to say thank you for starting this thread. Been a wetshaver since my dad taught me 3+ decades ago and been a head shaver for the past 15 years or so. I've been looking at DE razors for a couple of months and bought a cheap one to make sure it was something I would like. It's a Vikings Blade Chieftain Jr and I'm using Parker blades if anyone wanted to know. Now that I've got several weeks of experience (tho very much still the novice) I decided that I wasn't going back to cartridges and began looking for a better razor. Kept coming back to the 6S and finally decided to make the investment. It should hopefully be in my hands sometime next week and I'm really looking forward to using it. Your experience with it, especially as a head shaver, was one of the final things to sell me on it so again thank you.

Also thank you to everyone on the forum who mentioned tryablade. I purchased an assortment of blades and I'm looking forward to seeing which ones will become my favorites.

Just wanted to say thank you for starting this thread. Been a wetshaver since my dad taught me 3+ decades ago and been a head shaver for the past 15 years or so. I've been looking at DE razors for a couple of months and bought a cheap one to make sure it was something I would like. It's a Vikings Blade Chieftain Jr and I'm using Parker blades if anyone wanted to know. Now that I've got several weeks of experience (tho very much still the novice) I decided that I wasn't going back to cartridges and began looking for a better razor. Kept coming back to the 6S and finally decided to make the investment. It should hopefully be in my hands sometime next week and I'm really looking forward to using it. Your experience with it, especially as a head shaver, was one of the final things to sell me on it so again thank you.

Also thank you to everyone on the forum who mentioned tryablade. I purchased an assortment of blades and I'm looking forward to seeing which ones will become my favorites.
No worries mate

If you create a thread or reply on this one I'd love to see what you think of it after your first use

Not sure what you're planning to use but I say go all out on plate 6 with a feather blade too, can't go wrong with that combo imho YMMV 🙂

I just bought a 6S for head/face shaving. I used it for the first time after not having shaved my head in ~4 days. I found the R1 and R2 heads just couldn't cut it, but R3 worked acceptably.

A couple days later, I used it again and just kept the R3 on there, even though I probably could have used the R2 or even the R1. I have pretty sensitive skin, but the R3 gave me no problems.

So far, I'm pretty pleased with it. Much better than the cheapo razor that I've been brutalizing my skin with for years.

One thing puzzles me: Does anyone know why they designated the heads R1/R3, R2/R4, and R5/R6, rather than R1/R2, R3/R4, and R5/R6?

I just bought a 6S for head/face shaving. I used it for the first time after not having shaved my head in ~4 days. I found the R1 and R2 heads just couldn't cut it, but R3 worked acceptably.

A couple days later, I used it again and just kept the R3 on there, even though I probably could have used the R2 or even the R1. I have pretty sensitive skin, but the R3 gave me no problems.

So far, I'm pretty pleased with it. Much better than the cheapo razor that I've been brutalizing my skin with for years.

One thing puzzles me: Does anyone know why they designated the heads R1/R3, R2/R4, and R5/R6, rather than R1/R2, R3/R4, and R5/R6?
No idea might have something to do with the patent of the design? I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I remember it had a patent pattern on the plates or something along those lines

Anyways how you find it now?

hey so finally pushed myself to shave my hair as I've been struggling due to my mental health, anyways the Rockwell 6S on plate 6 is amazing, such an effortless shave, I think this is a very, very good razor

Forgot to say first time I used a Gillette Nacet in the Rockwell 6S, think I've only used the feather in it before

I like the Rockwell 6S and Nacet combo, defo recommend it 👍💯🔥

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I still find it hard to understand that people can read this board and then still settle for the Rockwell 6s.

No idea might have something to do with the patent of the design? I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I remember it had a patent pattern on the plates or something along those lines

Anyways how you find it now?

I still use it and like my 6S, except that I hate that it leaves the blade tabs exposed. This causes issues when I shave behind my ears.

Other than that I like it and still use the R3. My Crystal blades have worked best for me. I seem to have cutting/bleeding issues when I use Astra blades instead.

I still find it hard to understand that people can read this board and then still settle for the Rockwell 6s.

I liked mine a lot, until I got a RR Lupo 72. The Lupo ruined the 6s for me. The Rockwell shaved really well, but after using a better engineered, better produced razor, I put the 6s in a drawer until I finally sold it.

Now, the more I shave with my Yates 921-H, the less I reach for my Lupo. I’ll probably end up letting the Lupo go, keeping only the Yates and the bronze Timeless.

If you stop at a 6s, you don’t know what you’re missing.

You guys almost make it sound like anyone who uses a 6S is a moron. But any razor you could point out that you find superior is one I've either found issues with, couldn't spend the money on, or simply didn't know about.

As one example, I refuse to buy a razor that uses plating of any kind. I also don't like aluminum. But I have touchy skin, so I want an adjustable razor. Already, my choices are seriously limited.

To be clear, I understand that the 6S is overpriced and not of great quality. Their efforts were 90% geared toward marketing. But the thing works pretty well for me. I'm happy to upgrade at any time.

You guys almost make it sound like anyone who uses a 6S is a moron. But any razor you could point out that you find superior is one I've either found issues with, couldn't spend the money on, or simply didn't know about.

As one example, I refuse to buy a razor that uses plating of any kind. I also don't like aluminum. But I have touchy skin, so I want an adjustable razor. Already, my choices are seriously limited.

To be clear, I understand that the 6S is overpriced and not of great quality. Their efforts were 90% geared toward marketing. But the thing works pretty well for me. I'm happy to upgrade at any time.
They want you to spend more money!

As I said on the other Rockwell thread going now, I like my 6S. I do three-pass shaves daily with no irritation, and when I run my hand against the grain afterwards, all I feel is smoothness. No kidding.

But hey, I'm willing to believe there is something even better than that. And it would be no special hardship for me to buy some other razor for $100+, recommended by those who regularly chime in to say how inferior the Rockwell is.

It's just hard for me to get excited about something else when what I have is working well for me.

There are things I really dislike about the 6S: Mainly, the rather sharply pointed baseplate corners and the fact that the blade tabs are exposed. I really hate it. It hurts me every time I shave behind my ears.

The Yates razors seem to resolve both of these issues. I'm open to making a purchase. Does anyone know which Yates baseplate(s) best replicate the R3 plate of the 6S?

I hate exposed tabs so much, I went ahead and ordered a Yates 921-M with just the "Mid-Level Baseplate" and splurged on a brass "921-HYB Hybrid Baseplate" to boot. Let's hope I don't regret it.

No, I don't want to consign myself to cutting the tabs off every single blade for the rest of my life.

Sorry for the spam -- It was too late to edit my previous post.

Top Bottom