What's new

Rockwell 6S blade alignment

Hi,

How is the blade alignment on your 6s? How much play is considered normal and not a QC issue?
My blades never align correctly, and I always have to manually fiddle with it, which I hate. Other than that, it shaves great.
This is my second 6s, first one was the same.

Did they change their manufacturing process with lesser tolerances?

Do you know any other razor that shaves similarly with tighter tolerances? Is the game-changer comparable?

lasta

Blade Biter
Does it take more than 1/2 tries to adjust correctly? If not no problem, even my more expense ATT's have alignment issues.

Worst are old type/Fatip 3 prone ones.

Best is Gamechanger.

Oh I see. Maybe this is how its suppose to be. Everyone here says their 6S is always perfect. I need to fiddle with mine for a while for it to be perfect. Does GC shave similary to 6s?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Everyone here says their 6S is always perfect.
Who is this Everyone. For sure not me! 😎
The R6S praise threads going from heaven to hell in less than one page are a thing not only here, too. It's a good razor that is massively overhyped.

The Game Changer .84 in SB is an alternative to the R6S, the OC is more aggressive. RazoRock razors might not be as well known and widely available as the 6S, but I find not only the electropolish finish way better, the Game Changer has a much more modern clamping and slim head design. Arguably it shaves even better.

Who is this Everyone. For sure not me! 😎
The R6S praise threads going from heaven to hell in less than one page are a thing not only here, too. It's a good razor that is massively overhyped.

The Game Changer .84 in SB is an alternative to the R6S, the OC is more aggressive. RazoRock razors might not be as well known and widely available as the 6S, but I find not only the electropolish finish way better, the Game Changer has a much more modern clamping and slim head design. Arguably it shaves even better.
I see. What I like about my Rockwell is that I always get nice shaves with minimal effort. It's almost hard to get a bad shave with it. I can barely feel the blade. I only use plates 4,3 and 2. I was considering the 0.68 as I don't see the need for large blade gaps if you shave every day or every 2 days. Do you know any other razors in the same price range that can compare?

I own the 34C as well which does not come close to the 6S in comfort.

To summarise, I'm looking for a razor that shaves as comfortably as the 6S with better blade alignment. I don't like to fiddle with the blade each time I change blade/plates.

For my 6S, when I go to tighten the handle, I push on one of the two blade tabs that are sticking out so that the blade is being pushed up against the top cap posts. Because the holes in the blade have sort of a "V" shape, this naturally pushes the blade into the correct position. I still visually check it, but that's more of a formality since this method seems to work 100% of the time for me.

Not sure if I explained that the best, but hopefully it makes sense.

For my 6S, when I go to tighten the handle, I push on one of the two blade tabs that are sticking out so that the blade is being pushed up against the top cap posts. Because the holes in the blade have sort of a "V" shape, this naturally pushes the blade into the correct position. I still visually check it, but that's more of a formality since this method seems to work 100% of the time for me.

Not sure wht you mean, but I tried to try what you said and it did not help

Iridian

Cool and slimy
To summarise, I'm looking for a razor that shaves as comfortably as the 6S with better blade alignment. I don't like to fiddle with the blade each time I change blade/plates.
Take a CNC machined razor in the price range. Ideally some known to clamp the blade heavily. They usually fit and leave no leeway for adjustments. Was tempted to say for better or worse, but haven't had a misaligned one yet.

The Rockwell is MIM cast and that would work, too, if they would not be so generous with quality control (or leaving it to the customer, arguably). Feather's AS-D2 is also MIM cast and works out nicely, the only complaints I hear is that some find it too mild or one said his razor was rusting, the alignment was never a problem there. It costs roughly double though and is a very mild razor, I deem it too expensive, but I am not a lover of mild razors in general. YMMV. I would rather suggest you to try the Game Changer .84 SB instead of the .68. The .84 SB isn't too aggressive, as long as you don't dial it up with the OC/JAWS baseplates is still only medium-aggressive at best.

Some other ideas coming to my mind...
Mühle Rocca <- YMMV, I rather recommend the GC .84
every Italian Barber/RazoRock SS razor. Game Changer, Lupo, Mamba. Would try the GC first.
iKon
Rex Envoy, but I am afraid too much blade exposure for your liking.
DSCosmetic RazoRock clones (S9, S6, etc.)
etc.

Take a look at the razors people post in the acquired/shave of the day thread. Lots of inspiration to be found there! :)

Take a CNC machined razor in the price range. Ideally some known to clamp the blade heavily. They usually fit and leave no leeway for adjustments. Was tempted to say for better or worse, but haven't had a misaligned one yet.

The Rockwell is MIM cast and that would work, too, if they would not be so generous with quality control (or leaving it to the customer, arguably). Feather's AS-D2 is also MIM cast and works out nicely, the only complaints I hear is that some find it too mild or one said his razor was rusting, the alignment was never a problem there. It costs roughly double though and is a very mild razor, I deem it too expensive, but I am not a lover of mild razors in general. YMMV. I would rather suggest you to try the Game Changer .84 SB instead of the .68. The .84 SB isn't too aggressive, as long as you don't dial it up with the OC/JAWS baseplates is still only medium-aggressive at best.

Some other ideas coming to my mind...
Mühle Rocca <- YMMV, I rather recommend the GC .84
every Italian Barber/RazoRock SS razor. Game Changer, Lupo, Mamba. Would try the GC first.
iKon
Rex Envoy, but I am afraid too much blade exposure for your liking.
DSCosmetic RazoRock clones (S9, S6, etc.)
etc.

Take a look at the razors people post in the acquired/shave of the day thread. Lots of inspiration to be found there! :)
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll try the gamechanger!

Not sure wht you mean, but I tried to try what you said and it did not help

Basically, by pushing on just one of the blade tabs before tightening, in additional to aligning the blade, it's taking the play out of it so that the blade won't move when tightened. This wouldn't work if the posts on the top cap were not aligned themselves, but I personally have never experienced that (I'm sure someone has, though).

If I can come up with a better way to explain it, I'll let you know.

A few years ago I had to choose between the Rockwell 6S and Game Changer .84 sb and I picked the 6S, because I thought that I get 3 plates with 6 different settings and for the price that would definitely beat the GC. I've tried using different angles, pressure, blades, whatever but I never really enjoyed using the 6S. I was still getting good shaves, but the shaving just wasn't enjoyable and it felt way too mild for me and after months of trying to love it I ended up selling it. I've got the GC .84 around a year ago and I liked it from my very first shave and for me the GC is a superior to the 6S in every way possible.

A few years ago I had to choose between the Rockwell 6S and Game Changer .84 sb and I picked the 6S, because I thought that I get 3 plates with 6 different settings and for the price that would definitely beat the GC. I've tried using different angles, pressure, blades, whatever but I never really enjoyed using the 6S. I was still getting good shaves, but the shaving just wasn't enjoyable and it felt way too mild for me and after months of trying to love it I ended up selling it. I've got the GC .84 around a year ago and I liked it from my very first shave and for me the GC is a superior to the 6S in every way possible.
Oh I see! Which baseplate for GC would be similar to plate 3 on Rockwell?

When I received my 6S, R3-R6 suffered from uneven exposure. Also there were tea stains on the bottom of the cap. Contacted the vendor, they contacted Rockwell and I received a new cap. No issues from that point on.
I can confirm the statement by @lasta that Fatip razors and Old Type (clones) are prone to this. But there are many more, such as Gillette Superspeed and Slim clones (never had the original, so cannot comment). At any rate, I would contact Rockwell support if I were you.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I have a Merkur 34C with alignment problems. I think I saw a video that recommended pulling up on the blade on both sides to put pressure against the top cap while tightening the razor. Sometimes it worked sometimes not. If I secured the blade and didn’t achieve good alignment I loosened the cap and rotated it 180 degrees. That seemed to help more often than not. Maybe all of these suggestions rely on probability laws. Like the blind squirrel that finds a nut once in a while.
FYI I have 2 Rockwell 6Cs and a 6S. Neither have alignment problems.

When I received my 6S, R3-R6 suffered from uneven exposure. Also there were tea stains on the bottom of the cap. Contacted the vendor, they contacted Rockwell and I received a new cap. No issues from that point on.
I can confirm the statement by @lasta that Fatip razors and Old Type (clones) are prone to this. But there are many more, such as Gillette Superspeed and Slim clones (never had the original, so cannot comment). At any rate, I would contact Rockwell support if I were you.
Oh I see. Rockwell are sending me new parts as well. Hope that solves the problem, but dont expect it too.

This works for me as well. I simply press my thumb, gently, against the exposed blade tab as I tighten the razor. As you say, doing so pushes the blade into correct alignment. If this doesn't work, I would have to say one of the alignment posts is out of alignment.

This works for me as well. I simply press my thumb, gently, against the exposed blade tab as I tighten the razor. As you say, doing so pushes the blade into correct alignment. If this doesn't work, I would have to say one of the alignment posts is out of alignment.
Could you upload a video or photo? :) Ill try again

Top Bottom